More
23 Mar 2010 09:26 - 23 Mar 2010 11:04 #355617 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic No start / Hard start
pst

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 23 Mar 2010 11:04 by trianglelaguna.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2010 09:31 - 23 Mar 2010 09:39 #355618 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic No start / Hard start
If not already done, would assure battery is up to snuff (fluids, charged, specific gravity, load test), and cable terminal connections are clean and snug, including the ground attachment on rear of engine.

Also try using the kick starter (where available), whereby more battery power is devoted to ignition.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Mar 2010 09:39 by Patton.

More
23 Mar 2010 10:41 - 23 Mar 2010 10:58 #355630 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic No start / Hard start
2bskor wrote:

Bike was hard starting last summer. It turned over many many times before it would start. I thought the coils were weak so this year i put two new dyna coils on rewired the coils with the WG mod and a new battery because it turned over so much last year it killed it.

Compression all good,checked ignitor good, lots of spark. the fuel had stabilizer prior to storage. I drained the carb bowls and blew compressed air through the drain holes and fuel line and vacuum line for shit and giggles.

I tried it again and it stumbled and after turning over about five or six times it started and ran fine. I took it for a drive and it ran great!!

I tried it after about ten minutes later and it started on first touch of the starter button. O left it for 4 hours and it is a no go!! I turned the fuel to pri,res still no go. It was hard cold starting since last year.

So we got fuel,we got spark what a missin??

I had this same problem. After some checking the only thing I found wrong was the valve clearances were very tight. I adjusted them and problem solved.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2010 10:58 by Tony.

More
23 Mar 2010 10:58 #355632 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic No start / Hard start
Which problem were you replying to. My thread kinda got hijacked!!

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

More
23 Mar 2010 11:01 #355633 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic No start / Hard start
If you are referring to my post, I edited it so it was clear I was referring to you.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Mar 2010 11:07 #355635 by trianglelaguna
there that should be clearer...soory...my symptoms were gonna get a thread...just figured it'd look silly asking almost the same thing twice...course i added questions and then it had a life of it's own ...sorry dude.....

carry on..

reading with interst here....;)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
23 Mar 2010 11:25 #355637 by 2bskor
Hey dude no problem it was getting a little confusing because some of our problems are similar.

More
24 Mar 2010 11:10 #355831 by the wolf is watching
Replied by the wolf is watching on topic No start / Hard start
Tony wrote:

2bskor wrote:

Bike was hard starting last summer. It turned over many many times before it would start. I thought the coils were weak so this year i put two new dyna coils on rewired the coils with the WG mod and a new battery because it turned over so much last year it killed it.

Compression all good,checked ignitor good, lots of spark. the fuel had stabilizer prior to storage. I drained the carb bowls and blew compressed air through the drain holes and fuel line and vacuum line for shit and giggles.

I tried it again and it stumbled and after turning over about five or six times it started and ran fine. I took it for a drive and it ran great!!

I tried it after about ten minutes later and it started on first touch of the starter button. O left it for 4 hours and it is a no go!! I turned the fuel to pri,res still no go. It was hard cold starting since last year.

So we got fuel,we got spark what a missin??

I had this same problem. After some checking the only thing I found wrong was the valve clearances were very tight. I adjusted them and problem solved.

I got the same issue... I took off carbs, cleaned completely... battery is good, I just bump started it, it rode for about 1/8 mile and died, acted like it was running out of gas. I put pod filters on and havnt changed the needle so Im sure that is an issue, but as far as starting... ??? so where is the valve clearances located, I cant find it in my manual... thanks and Ill be checkin to see if your issue was resolved, as I think I got the same prob (kz550a)

More
24 Mar 2010 11:42 #355834 by 2bskor
If it's a clymer manual and you look up valves you wont find it. Look at the beginning of the book under maintenance. At the end of the chapter there is a few pages of specs and measurements. My bike runs great once u get it started, but it turns over and over

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
24 Mar 2010 14:49 #355881 by trianglelaguna
reading with interest....

my questions were amswered by tony in a p.m and i kinda understand the petcok positions better.....

do you have 28mm carbs with an accelerator pump...and emmisions tubes on your cam cover???

{tony has a canada model with normal carbs and no valve cover breathers....)

but on a same note as your topic...i charged my MK11 battery all day came home and cranked it with the starter for about tweny turns...dadadadaadadadaadadadaaadadadadaadadaadadadada...nothing...i think my issue is no fuel......

carry on....i wanna know when you get a solution.....

thanks...craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
25 Mar 2010 07:36 #356025 by 2bskor
Good News Bad News!!

Bike started even on a cold morning drove it around even 12 kms to work, the carbs are a little rich because I took out the air screws and didn't adjust quite right yet.

I used some Yamaha penetrant as suggested by a friend this stuff makes seafoam look like dollar store perfume!!

BAD NEWS after driving today my new Gel Cell battery is dead. In all honesty I kinda killed it trying to start the bike when it was cranking only. I did charge it but who knows? I got a new one.

Is there a way...I know there is , I should ask how to check your regulator and or stator(generator). I remember last year one of the fuses getting hot and I did go through a battery last year but it was an old acid type.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
25 Mar 2010 18:49 - 25 Mar 2010 18:50 #356177 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic No start / Hard start
Start the bike.
Connect a voltmeter to the battery.
The voltage should be at 13 - 13.5V while idling.
Rev the bike to past 4Krpm and you should get 14.5 - 15V, but not higher! It shouldn't continue to increase the higher you rev the bike...
If higher, rect/regulator is toast.
If Voltage never rises to 13+ check stator:
Turn off bike.
Unplug the 3 stator wires.
use ohm meter and check to make sure infinate resistance between all 3 wires and ground - NO READING AT ALL. ( 0.0 means bad.)Meter should do nothing...
Start bike.
Set Voltmeter to AC.
Connect to ground and one stator wire at a time.
Revving bike should give you 50+Volts AC on each line, then stator is good. Rect/regulator is toast.

GL!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 25 Mar 2010 18:50 by TeK9iNe.