Do pods create excessive oil pressure??

More
16 Nov 2009 14:39 #334127 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
not trying to bust anyone balls. i prefer to run a long hose up the the area where the air box is/was. reason? a short hose and over filled motor can oil down the rear tire, not good. the longer hose set high relative the the breather outlet helps reduce the chance of oil getting to where it shouldn't be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2009 17:27 - 16 Nov 2009 17:31 #334182 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
hoghaterkaw wrote:

not trying to bust anyone balls. i prefer to run a long hose up the the area where the air box is/was. reason? a short hose and over filled motor can oil down the rear tire, not good. the longer hose set high relative the the breather outlet helps reduce the chance of oil getting to where it shouldn't be.

Point well-taken! :cheer:

Reminds of the Brit bikes not so long ago where all came with a silver colored crankcase vent hose routed along left edge of rear fender to exit behind the bike.

Perhaps similar to preference of some folks to route the carb vent hoses to exit underneath the bike instead of under the seat as delivered from factory. WG cautioned about possibility of fire incident to a tip-over where fuel may be running out the vent tubes, and he wanted any fuel spillage under the bike and not under the seat.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Nov 2009 17:31 by Patton.

More
17 Nov 2009 18:49 #334394 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
although Larry is always in the forefront of technology whether its 2 wheeled or 4 legged !much like my role model from way back Sid pogue Larry is a man of many talents,why just last month when the local farmers were trying to supertune their cows to gain more milk with fewer emissions per acre they called Larry.heres a picture of the new calve-anaugh/roberts dairy machine on Larrys flow bench! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2009 18:56 #334396 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
PLUMMEN wrote:

although Larry is always in the forefront of technology whether its 2 wheeled or 4 legged !much like my role model from way back Sid pogue Larry is a man of many talents,why just last month when the local farmers were trying to supertune their cows to gain more milk with fewer emissions per acre they called Larry.heres a picture of the new calve-anaugh/roberts dairy machine on Larrys flow bench! :woohoo:

God Bless ya Jim.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's PERFECT!

More
17 Nov 2009 19:02 #334398 by PLUMMEN
i hope you remember that next month when i send ya some stuff to work on! :laugh:

More
17 Nov 2009 19:06 - 17 Nov 2009 19:13 #334402 by tooocool49723
Replied by tooocool49723 on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
I have pods on my bike too, no problem with the breather.

I did have a problem with it when I plugged it off because I was a noob and didn't know any better. About a mile down the road when I noticed the oil smell and pulled over I deduced the function of the port and pulled off the block. Oil was dripping out of everywhere bad and onto the headers, not fun!

The stock airbox created vacuum at that port, causing vacuum in the crankcase I assume. If you had a questionable seal somewhere before taking off the stock airbox, the lack of vacuum could cause a bit of an oil leak. But this is all theoretical in my mind, so take it with a grain of salt.

On the exhaust air ports on the top of the motor, I just plugged them off and threw away the rest of the system. It was making my bike very loud in the wrong way to leave the long tube open. No ill effects except a quieter motor.

Good luck! That is a beautiful bike you have there!

'82 KZ550 "Project"
First bike, 30k miles

Ann Arbor, Mi
Last edit: 17 Nov 2009 19:13 by tooocool49723.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
22 Nov 2009 17:03 #335246 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
You've over filled with oil.

It's common if you check/change oil while engine is warm.

Proper oil level is indicated by to small lines about 1/3rd and 2/3rds' the way up the oil window.

Right across the middle of the window is just fine if your not finicky.

Serious over-filling can lead to serious problems, like the crank throthing the oil into a bubbly mess that the pump cant get to the valvetrain. Yikes!

Cheers.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
22 Nov 2009 18:55 #335260 by PLUMMEN

Attachments:

More
23 Nov 2009 14:34 #335407 by mushroom_toy
Replied by mushroom_toy on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
I run an oil catch can on mine, and I wonder if its creating too much pressure. Mine leaks, well its seaps a good bit under load, and leaks a little when the bike has been sitting cold for a while. I do have quite a few air release holes drilled in the top of the can, but Im wondering if its still too much pressure. I run a tube from the crankcase breather up and into a aluminum longneck mountain dew can with about 6 holes drilled around the neck for air to escape.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2009 16:17 #335436 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
mushroom_toy wrote:

I run an oil catch can on mine, and I wonder if its creating too much pressure. Mine leaks, well its seaps a good bit under load, and leaks a little when the bike has been sitting cold for a while. I do have quite a few air release holes drilled in the top of the can, but Im wondering if its still too much pressure. I run a tube from the crankcase breather up and into a aluminum longneck mountain dew can with about 6 holes drilled around the neck for air to escape.

Probably be wise to give it some more venting. Remember the stock setup pipes it to the airbox where it'siphoned into the intake tract.