Do pods create excessive oil pressure??

More
11 Nov 2009 07:14 #332823 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
It comes up near the top of the little oil level window when on the center stand, but there's still a little sliver of space at the top of the window, so I'm assuming there's not too much oil.

I thought the fact that there was oil rather than air coming from the breather might have been a sign of too much pressure. I took the breather filter off on the way home last night and it didn't seem to leak as bad, but then again, I didn't rev it past 5-6k at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2009 07:19 #332827 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
should be between the 2 little lines on side of site glass when bike is level/not running.youre overfilled B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Nov 2009 08:28 #332843 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
Well looky-looky!

Where the hell have you been hiding this sweet KZ... Love it!

As for the oil breather line... Longer lines down and to the left side facing the ground behind and outside of the rear set... Plummen taught me that trick. Originally had a filter on it...

During hard runs, I would get this squishing noise... Drove me crazy, no one could figure it out in the AVI clips... Out with the stethoscope.... Traced it down (loudest) area between oil pump, clutch components... Replaced both... Quieted it down but still present at times... Had a slipping clutch anyways so that was left on the to do list just the same.

Removed breather filter, new longer breather line, haven't heard the noise since... Gee, go figure! :S :laugh:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
11 Nov 2009 08:43 - 11 Nov 2009 08:44 #332849 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
I also just run a large hose off the breather. There is alwys some little bit of sputem blowing out of there. I don't care if it's clean when it comes out so I don't use a filter. :)

Don't let the hose get pinched or kink.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2009 08:44 by loudhvx.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
11 Nov 2009 16:06 #332914 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
the breather is there to relieve pressure built up in the crank case. if u restrict this relief u can cause gaskets to seep and leak. as the motor accumulates miles the rings, cyl, and pistons ware. this causes more blow by and therefore more crank case pressure, and more oil coming out as the pressure is relived. i would check the oil level before anything. Then provide all the relief that the stock motor came with. Do NOT block off any outlets.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
11 Nov 2009 16:25 #332921 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
I would think that since your oil level is on the high side the excess oil is vented to the filter. If the filter is saturated with oil then it can not flow so you have essentially blocked the vent. Blocking the vent will cause the pressure to seek the least resistance which could be why the gaskets are leaking. Just a guess.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
11 Nov 2009 17:45 #332940 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
Old Man Rock wrote:

Well looky-looky!

Where the hell have you been hiding this sweet KZ... Love it!

As for the oil breather line... Longer lines down and to the left side facing the ground behind and outside of the rear set... Plummen taught me that trick. Originally had a filter on it...

During hard runs, I would get this squishing noise... Drove me crazy, no one could figure it out in the AVI clips... Out with the stethoscope.... Traced it down (loudest) area between oil pump, clutch components... Replaced both... Quieted it down but still present at times... Had a slipping clutch anyways so that was left on the to do list just the same.

Removed breather filter, new longer breather line, haven't heard the noise since... Gee, go figure! :S :laugh:

OMR

carefull with that classified info,remember im not supposed to know anything! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Nov 2009 18:00 #332948 by thompsonmx100
Replied by thompsonmx100 on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
I would have to agree with OMR on this one SSSWWWEEETTT kz I love it. I have a scource that makes block off plates for the valve cover if you are interested PM me and I can give you the info. On the crankcase pressure situation sounds like youre overfull and blocking the breather. Good info as i was gonna run one of those filters also not anymore cheap hose here we come.

2006 gs 500 streetfighter
1982 gpz750 breathed on wreck
1985 gpz750
Kz 650

More
11 Nov 2009 22:20 #333045 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
Thanks a ton for the info and compliments everyone. I'm really enjoying getting to know this bike and I'm mostly pleased with how it's turning out. I looked again at the oil level and it's definitely too high — duh! Well at least it wasn't something more serious.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2009 13:25 #333894 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
Nice ride :)

There's more info on the crankcase breather in this thread than Kawasaki put in all their manuals combined :laugh:

Plummen is correct! You're a tad on the high side with oil level.

More
16 Nov 2009 11:25 - 16 Nov 2009 11:26 #334101 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
I like it too.
The KZ that is.
I ran a tube all the way back to the tail light for the vent.
Didn't work too well because any low spots trapped moisture which collected and formed a puddle. Had I left it long enough, it would have blocked off the air flow.
Make sure any hose you use doesn't have a low spot like a letter U.
Just up and over where the airbox used to be, then down.
Some use a can to collect the oil.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 16 Nov 2009 11:26 by rstnick.

More
16 Nov 2009 12:16 - 16 Nov 2009 12:19 #334107 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
Large diameter hose from crankcase vent routed to exit underneath the bike. No filter or anything at open end of tube under the bike. Works fine for me.

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Nov 2009 12:19 by Patton.