Do pods create excessive oil pressure??

More
10 Nov 2009 10:24 - 10 Nov 2009 10:25 #332632 by chrispysaki
Do pods create excessive oil pressure?? was created by chrispysaki
When I installed the pod filters on my carbs (1980 kz750 E1), I put another pod style filter on the breather case, which also used to connect to the airbox. I just noticed that the breather filter is completely saturated in oil.

It also started leaking oil from the front of the motor again pretty bad on the way in to work today. I installed new head and valve cover gaskets less than 100 miles ago, as well as valve stem seals, to address the oil leak when I first installed the pods.

Last night I attached a piece of a towel to the vacuum air intake (that goes to the exhaust side of the valve cover) to reduce the air flow since that also used to connect to the air box. I don't know if that has anything to do with the increased oil leak today?

I'm probably going to replace the lower head/crankcase gasket in hopes that it solves the oil leak, but I'm worried that the pods are somehow creating too much oil pressure throughout the motor/transmission/etc.

Oh and here are a couple quick pics of the bike...oil spots included!
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Nov 2009 10:25 by chrispysaki.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2009 10:26 #332634 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2009 10:27 #332635 by chrispysaki
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2009 10:28 #332636 by chrispysaki
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2009 10:51 - 10 Nov 2009 10:53 #332637 by rustedcutlery
Replied by rustedcutlery on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
correct me if i am wrong, but if pod filters were to alter any sort of pressure/vacuum, wouldn't it be high vacuum because of the restriction to flow, but then again it just an airfilter that is suppose to flow better so i am willing to bet that it just makes air come in with more "ease"

also, do you know what your crankcase pressure is? and how fast are you spinning the motor? does it seep/leak all of the time or just under load?
Last edit: 10 Nov 2009 10:53 by rustedcutlery.

More
10 Nov 2009 11:14 - 10 Nov 2009 11:17 #332640 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
chrispysaki wrote:

When I installed the pod filters on my carbs (1980 kz750 E1), I put another pod style filter on the breather case, which also used to connect to the airbox. I just noticed that the breather filter is completely saturated in oil.

It also started leaking oil from the front of the motor again pretty bad on the way in to work today. I installed new head and valve cover gaskets less than 100 miles ago, as well as valve stem seals, to address the oil leak when I first installed the pods.

Last night I attached a piece of a towel to the vacuum air intake (that goes to the exhaust side of the valve cover) to reduce the air flow since that also used to connect to the air box. I don't know if that has anything to do with the increased oil leak today?

I'm probably going to replace the lower head/crankcase gasket in hopes that it solves the oil leak, but I'm worried that the pods are somehow creating too much oil pressure throughout the motor/transmission/etc.

Oh and here are a couple quick pics of the bike...oil spots included!

oil on breather normal..amount depends on internal condition of motor
try re-torqueing head gasket

try re-cinching valve cover bolts
Last edit: 10 Nov 2009 11:17 by keith1.

More
10 Nov 2009 11:30 #332642 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
the crankcase vent is an outy,not an inny.putting a filter on it causes a restriction to allowing pressure out of motor.i always just run a hose up above carb level then down behind battery box area to keep trash out of it myself.check with the all knowing all caring greg/craig to get the oficial ruling on it though B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
10 Nov 2009 11:35 #332644 by JR
I've had K&N pods on my 1980 kz750/4 since I bought it 7 years ago. I also have little K&N filter on the engine breather which I suppose does get a tad oily - I clean it once a year - but not oily enough that it would enen drip on the engine case. So I would answer your question by saying - no, pods dont create excessive oil pressure.

Luckily we never had that anti smog stuff up here with hoses running in and out of the valve covers and to and from the airbox. I hear a lot of people say they got rid of that stuff but even so I would doubt that would cause your problems with leaking oil.

Like keith1 says ....did you try re torquing the head bolts and valve cover ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
10 Nov 2009 12:43 #332657 by chrispysaki
I'll try re-torquing everything tonight, but you brought up something I was wondering about those clean air vacuum intakes-whether they're needed, and whether it would improve performance if I capped them. The way I think it was explained in the manual is that the air is sucked into the cylinder when a negative pressure situation is created during the exhaust cycle.

More
10 Nov 2009 13:03 #332660 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
As Plummen pointed out, you may be restricting the oil breather too much. Before you start retorquing things, as an experiment, pull that little breather filter off and stick a long hose on it routed as Plummen suggested. If the oil leaks stops or is reduced you found the problem. ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Nov 2009 17:55 #332705 by JR
chrispysaki wrote:

I'll try re-torquing everything tonight, but you brought up something I was wondering about those clean air vacuum intakes-whether they're needed, and whether it would improve performance if I capped them. The way I think it was explained in the manual is that the air is sucked into the cylinder when a negative pressure situation is created during the exhaust cycle.

I have heard that people just run a hose or tube from one side of the valve cover to the other and then block off or remove the stuff to the airbox. But like I said we never had it up in Canada so I'd suggest doing a search here or wait for someone who knows to come along.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
10 Nov 2009 21:07 #332749 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Do pods create excessive oil pressure??
Are you certain you didn't overfill the motor oil??