29 MM smoothbore question

More
26 Aug 2009 19:45 - 26 Aug 2009 19:49 #316648 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic 29 MM smoothbore question
remember the money i spent was in canadian dollars which at the time was about 10 cents on the dollar us. yes i was talking about dave he tried to talk me into selling my 29's too somebody and then buy a set of those cr's but i just couldn'tdo it. but i have a couple of other set's of my carb's for sale now so maybe i'll just do it if they sell.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 26 Aug 2009 19:49 by timebomb33.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2009 03:36 #316689 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 29 MM smoothbore question
"old italian guy from arizona"...

Hmmm, whom are they speaking of? :huh: How the hell did I get thrown into your conversations is beyond me.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All I can say is this, LOVE the CR's... Easy to swap jets and needle clip positions, cant be any easier where jets can be swapped with carbs in place...

NOTE: for the Pilots, have to remove float bowls, main nope, just float bowl bottom bolts. Same time, found it easier in un-mounting the carbs leaving throttle cables attached and position them outside on the left side of the motor slightly to gain access. Simple process....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
29 Aug 2009 15:50 - 29 Aug 2009 15:54 #317406 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic 29 MM smoothbore question
put in 25 pilots and its a lot better, but just a tad rich.....got some new cheapo pods ....the ones that were on it were emgo s that had seen better days....total junk...
gotta go for blast tommorow if it clears and see how the top end is.....peliminary ride wasnt enough to get a good feel......also bought a decent set of vac guages to help dial in......should be here this week.....
Last edit: 29 Aug 2009 15:54 by keith1.

More
30 Aug 2009 17:35 #317694 by keith1
bike absolutely hammers with the 29's.....i only put a quick 25 miles on it today, but it pulls great right up to 8500.....got a little pinging, but i put a 1/3 can of seafoam in tank and will run that through and run straight 93 and see what happens....still got to dial in idle area as
i have a little stumble off idle....all in all i m thrilled...bang a couple gears and i look down and i m doin 80......:woohoo:

More
31 Aug 2009 09:23 #317882 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 29 MM smoothbore question
Right on McFly. You should always treat your girl to 93 octane gas. She deserves the best you can give her. And as far as the pods go K&N. In a month or so I will be selling my 29s for sure to get those CR's before everyone else figures out what Dave already knows. Then no one will want 29s:P
Just chaps my hide that the pods from these carbs won't fit on the CR's and they only have two seasons on them. Ah well someone will enjoy using them. They are not bad carbs. Much better than my stock 26's but that is all I know.
I haven't personally tried the cr's but I have heard them on my friends bike, they sound noticeably different, and have seen the difference it made with his performance. I am sold.:woohoo:

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
31 Aug 2009 09:34 - 31 Aug 2009 09:35 #317887 by keith1
ALWAYS 93 whether it s the bike , marauder, or pick up.i dont know if seafoam screws with octane..i m definitely gonna spring for the k and n s, but just to get up and going
i bought some cheapies...figures, i just sold my boots and schnizt racing pods....
Last edit: 31 Aug 2009 09:35 by keith1.

More
02 Sep 2009 18:08 #318691 by keith1
still pinging once it gets hot....even forged pistons will only take so much of that sooo..knocked timing back and took it for a spin...motor was still hot...vast improvement...i still think i hear the smallest tick, but i have two keys on ring and it could be one of them wacking around......a little electrical tape and another run tommorow.....even setting timing back,motor tachs up like a beeyatch and pulls very well to redline....kinda reminds me of my gs1150 with the 1198 kit....torquey from 3k with a decent top end.......it s all part of the magic of owning a classic.......:laugh:

More
12 Sep 2009 17:37 #321151 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 29 MM smoothbore question
Yeah, I have ta agree:) Tirebomb, you know you can just keep those 29s and in awhile they will surely appreciate in price but I think you said you put 7500 in to your engine? That is a lot and maybe a set of newer carbs may make a world of difference, maybe not but it would be worth a try if you knew of anyone willing to lend you a set to figure it out.
My 1075 runs like mad but I noticed a leak from the cam chain area and now I see it is spreading. :angry: That sucks. Also I think perhaps the stock chain is not strong enough to pull those .410 cams I got in it. Now I wish I would have just pulled the head the first time and left her stock and just replaced the gasket and saved all that time without my bike and headache for the other bike I have. I probably should have but I figured what the heck put a kit in it while I have her apart. Everything else was perfect. Well if I have to take it down again I will put the rest of the stuff in her that she needs to be bullet proof and the pistons and cams well that expense will be spared this time around.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
12 Sep 2009 18:18 #321162 by keith1
saxjonz wrote:

Yeah, I have ta agree:) Tirebomb, you know you can just keep those 29s and in awhile they will surely appreciate in price but I think you said you put 7500 in to your engine? That is a lot and maybe a set of newer carbs may make a world of difference, maybe not but it would be worth a try if you knew of anyone willing to lend you a set to figure it out.
My 1075 runs like mad but I noticed a leak from the cam chain area and now I see it is spreading. :angry: That sucks. Also I think perhaps the stock chain is not strong enough to pull those .410 cams I got in it. Now I wish I would have just pulled the head the first time and left her stock and just replaced the gasket and saved all that time without my bike and headache for the other bike I have. I probably should have but I figured what the heck put a kit in it while I have her apart. Everything else was perfect. Well if I have to take it down again I will put the rest of the stuff in her that she needs to be bullet proof and the pistons and cams well that expense will be spared this time around.

that sucks...sorry to hear that......where exactly is it leaking?......
on another note,i took a 30 min cruise to my buddies house last weekend.....on the way over it ran good, but pinged a little...the usual.....on the way home, i stopped for gas about 2 miles from his house....i fired bike up and went down the road and i m thinking"this thing feels different".....i m going down the highway and over the jamestown and newport bridges and bike really runs well...no pinging and all sorts of nut...sounds different too....my first thought is i lost the baffle or something...get home...baffle there...it finally dawns on me that i might just have had a long break in...800 miles on it.....so i take it out the next day to see if it s a fluke.....nope....bike absolutely hammers!!!..no pinging
and is super responsive....i had a lot of fun easing it to 4500 and whacking it as hard as i could and it was gone and at 8500 in literally 2 seconds......i put 22.5 pilots in today down from 25 and seems better down low...
gonna cruise tommorow......
i remember my zx9r was a disappointing toilet untill it had about 850 miles on it and one day i whacked it open and it was "fu@#in hang on".....

More
12 Sep 2009 18:26 #321167 by Old Man Rock
Tears of JOY once you get the jetting down pat.... :cheer:

Is it a frustrating part of tuning, yup, is it a pain in the ass trying different jets/settings/adjustments/taking the carbs on and off, yup but is it worth it when all and done....

OH HELL YA! :woohoo: Hang on baby cause we are in Rocket Ship Mode of Operations..... B) :laugh: We have ignition Houston! :woohoo: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
12 Sep 2009 18:37 - 12 Sep 2009 18:38 #321171 by keith1
Old Man Rock wrote:

Tears of JOY once you get the jetting down pat.... :cheer:

Is it a frustrating part of tuning, yup, is it a pain in the ass trying different jets/settings/adjustments/taking the carbs on and off, yup but is it worth it when all and done....

OH HELL YA! :woohoo: Hang on baby cause we are in Rocket Ship Mode of Operations..... B) :laugh: We have ignition Houston! :woohoo: :laugh:

dave,
it wasnt bad with the 25 s but there is always room for improvement...right?....:laugh: its taken a little less than a year and a half from tired oil leaker to very presentable old school rocket!!! could nt have done it without this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...time for another vodka and grapefruit....:woohoo:
Last edit: 12 Sep 2009 18:38 by keith1. Reason: sat nite........

More
12 Sep 2009 18:46 #321176 by Old Man Rock
25's or is that 26's?

No matter... Same time, new technologies in the CR's and Mikuni's.... Easier to work on, tune & jet as well...

Unfortunately & weird though, the new MIk,s don't come in sizes under 34's... Kinda sucks but hey, is what it is....

Oh well, Keihin's it is for me.... 29mm (presently for 1015cc) or 31mm (1075 or 1197cc next build) is all I require...

Ride safe brother and enjoy that new freedom... ACCELERATION!

NOTE: Still pisses by bud off on his VFR on how the old girl kicks his ass (low to mid ranges).... :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az