AIR BOX Question

More
30 Jul 2009 18:38 #310453 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic AIR BOX Question
When you have a bad experiance with a product and someone asks about it, of course you will relay your information. you would not recommend something you had problems with. I had all the typical problems when i had pods, at WOT it "may" had a bit more poke but it was not worth all the other headaches.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2009 21:37 #310483 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic AIR BOX Question
Well, I thought I was stating my experiences by the pros and cons. For me, at least, the cons outweighed the pros of pods on two bikes. I don't have a loud header, so the sucking sound is easy to hear over the Kerker.

Also, as I stated, I chose pods for one of my bikes because the pros outweighed the cons.

The airbox is a pain, but so is cleaning and oiling pods. That's why I was willing to try the Emgos and couldn't be happier with them. They are on a bike meant for a solo rider so the passenger issue at stops is not a problem.

I don't think anyone is dumb for using pods. I use pods.

For the record, the Uni's I had started to dry out internally and were crumbling bits of foam into the engine. I only used chemicals meant for foam filters on them. I'll never use them again. I'll gladly use the Emgos again. The only drawback so far is carrying a plastic bag if it looks like rain.

• Cychotic
  • User
  • No sir, I don't like it.
More
30 Jul 2009 23:29 #310498 by Cychotic
Replied by Cychotic on topic AIR BOX Question
Yours was one of the more balanced posts loudhvx. I have no issue with what you wrote. and for what it's worth, I probably overreacted a bit and was a little misguided in my failed attempt at sarcasm. I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, and in this case I overstated my point a bit and made myself look bad. But what set me off is not the negative things said about pods, but the snarky way they were delivered and how so many were willing to "pile on" so readily slamming pods (and by extension, people who like pods) in the same crass way. Guess I shouldn't take it so personally, but in my experience, I haven't seen many negatives about pods. For the record my 4-into-1 header is not really that loud (it has a baffle) especially at idle (only gets loud at high RPM), and I still don't hear the infamous sucking sound. As far as water getting into them, that's something I don't worry about too much because I don't ride if it looks like rain, and the fuss of oiling them is not that big a deal, it's not something that needs to be done very often and can be done in a few minutes with a spray can of foam oil (No-Toil oil is the brand I use). The main thing I didn't like about oiling the filters is the sticky goo that gets on your fingers-and the chrome endpiece of the pod-that needs to be wiped off. A minor inconvenience. Just wear gloves when applying. And we'll see how long they'll last. I wanted to get paper, but the foam Unifilters were all they had in stock at the time (I didn't feel like waiting otherwise I would've ordered the Emgo's off the internet).

1977 KZ650 C1 with '78 C2 motor,
* OEM electronic ignition off '80 KZ750
* 4-into-1 header
* Uni Pod Filters
* #110 main jets, 17.5 pilot jets
1983 Honda V65 Magna stock...sold
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 600R project..sold
1997 Yamaha FZR600...latest toy

More
31 Jul 2009 04:34 #310504 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic AIR BOX Question
Z1E carries Emgo and many other air filters in both pod and airbox styles.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
31 Jul 2009 06:24 #310516 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic AIR BOX Question
"I'm really not trying to light a flame here, anything we talk about in this forum is really not important enough to get that upset about. That being said, my inward pointed sarcasm (

I guess that everyone who runs pods on their bike must be stupid.

and

But I guess I'm just an ignorant buffoon with intake busting, performance robbing, sucky sounding pods and a loud obnoxious header on my bike, so what do I know?

) was meant to poke a little fun (at my own expense) at the one-sided, mean-spirited, pile-on sarcastic nature of the anti-pod posters on this thread. It's pretty obvious when you read between the lines that these people seem to have a pointed, biased view of what (in their opinion) should be on a motorcycle, and what shouldn't. And that's fine, everyone is entitled to express their own opinion, but what upsets me is how that opinion is expressed, with immature exaggerated hyperbole (the vacuum cleaner bit, for instance) that does nothing but perpetuate a negative myth about pods that I've yet to see as a problem in my bike. I've seen it in this thread and others, and it's kinda reminiscent of the juvenile, cliquish behavior found in high school adolescents. You're not "cool" unless you're like me. Having that kind of attitude is detrimental to "the sport", as you call it. And that is more obnoxious than any exhaust system I can put on my bike."

“one-sided, mean-spirited, pile-on sarcastic nature of the anti-pod posters on this thread. It's pretty obvious when you read between the lines that these people seem to have a pointed, biased view of what (in their opinion) should be on a motorcycle, and what shouldn't.”

So this really is a rant from another post about loud exhaust? Because I did not say you shouldn’t have pods on your bike I said here is what I think. I surely used some humor in my posts since when is humor mean spirited? Pods suck. Thus a vacuum would seem to be a natural. Do you have some sort of degree with reading between the lines because you really need a refresher course. I think it really is a case of you carrying over some resentment from the “Loud pipes Saves Lives” there was a while back because you certainly brought it into this one. Then you write “And that's fine, everyone is entitled to express their own opinion, but what upsets me is how that opinion is expressed.” Then you go on to call people mean spirited, one sided, sarcastic, being anti-, biased, exaggerating, hyperbolic, perpetuating myths, juvenile, cliquish, adolescent? Crap man did you get mauled by a Dyson upright when you were a baby? (Oh crap there goes that humor again)

I noticed you put “the sport” as I call it in parentheses. Ok what do you call it?

Bottom line is I did not call anyone an idiot or “not cool” for using pods. I realize and said so that there are those who use them and see or experience no downside. My experience and others have experienced them. You think we are exaggerating a MYTH or flat out childish or I guess we are lying because we are major stockholders in airbox manufacturing companies. I really can’t figure out why you thing those who don’t like pods are making things up. But just because you are not (or think you are not) experiencing them does NOT mean others can’t be.

So for once and all read the posts and make your decision on pods. Do a search and do your own research. I don’t care if you do or don’t run pods I just hope you get what you want out of the “SPORT” of motorcycling. Riding or wrenching whichever or both if that makes you happy. Now as for the undercurrent which has found it’s way here. Pods don’t affect me but loud “obnoxious” exhausts do and if I stepped on your rights to step on my rights too bad, but lets at least take it to the right thread or make it a PM and we can really have at it.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
31 Jul 2009 10:22 - 31 Jul 2009 10:23 #310553 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic AIR BOX Question
Well, if you really do want to eventually try the Emgos, I got mine at Z1E. Just look inside the Uni's when you service them to make sure the foam isn't getting crumbly. Mine were made about 10 or 12 years ago, it's possible they changed the formulation of the foam since then to be more resilient.

Also, as far as the sound, I think the Emgos actually sound better than my Uni's did. But if you don't hear it, not a problem. :)
Last edit: 31 Jul 2009 10:23 by loudhvx.

• Cychotic
  • User
More
31 Jul 2009 19:26 - 01 Aug 2009 02:25 #310634 by Cychotic
Are you ignoring my last post on purpose Locozuna, or did you just not bother to read it? Thought I was being real clear when I wrote:

and for what it's worth, I probably overreacted a bit and was a little misguided in my failed attempt at sarcasm. I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, and in this case I overstated my point a bit and made myself look bad. But what set me off is not the negative things said about pods, but the snarky way they were delivered and how so many were willing to "pile on" so readily slamming pods (and by extension, people who like pods) in the same crass way. Guess I shouldn't take it so personally, but in my experience, I haven't seen many negatives about pods.

I really don't enjoy this type of verbal sparring, it's not what I visit these forums for. I don't frequent these pages to get in some silly flame war over an insignificant issue. Doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of things and in the end it just amounts to so much verbal masturbation. I like the camaraderie of sharing our knowledge and experiences about owning, riding, and maintaining old Kawasaki KZ motorcycles. It's just that I was pretty offended after I gave my honest assessment of my experience of owning pod filters, which has been nothing but positive, and then have most of the rest of the thread devoted to bashing/ridiculing pods-and by extension-me. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. Now I already admitted that my response to that was wrong, and an over-reaction on my part, and only backfired on me and made me look bad. And you know darn well I wasn't name calling anyone-except perhaps,myself-and that was only in jest. Let's be real now, ok?

But I stand by my reasoning of why I made that comment. It really makes one think twice about making an honest post if they feel like they're gonna get ridiculed for it, and that is truly a shame, one less voice heard that may make a difference to someone seeking advice.

I only made sarcastic mention of my header (which in all reality is really not that loud) because someone made the flippant comment "Loud pods save lives", an obvious allusion to an earlier ugly thread where a lot of the poster's biases reared their ugly heads, and a new member (who probably isn't a member anymore) was savagely-and unfairly IMO-ridiculed for his exhaust preferences. Now don't get me wrong here Locozuna, I think we're getting a little off topic here discussing that thread, but since you brought it up, I'm not one of those guys that likes to have loud pipes simply for the sake of being loud. I got stock pipes on my Magna and have no intention of changing them, and my KZ was bought with the 4-1 header, and it is not obnoxiously loud, but it does completely change the tone of the bike, and as anyone with a little motorcycle knowledge knows, installing a freer flowing exhaust along with freer flowing airfilter's and larger jets is one of the biggest performance bangs for your buck that you can do. For me it's simply staying with what was on the bike, but it works well, and sounds great. But it's definitely not overly loud. A guy on a Harley pulled in front of me on the highway the other day, and I could not hear anything except his motor until he was about 75 YDS away. Now that's loud. I'm not a fan of overly loud pipes either (i.e. straight pipes), but nevertheless I felt that Mr. Loud Pipes Save Lives got a pretty raw deal when he was mercilessly taken to task over and over even after he apologized several times for some of his posts. It was an ugly side of KZR I had never seen up until then, and a poor reflection upon the forum I thought. Even one of the long time posters, a guy with over 1500 posts under his belt (can't think of his name right now, but he's the guy wearing the red 'fro wig in his avatar picture) made a couple of posts expressing his dismay at some of this behavior during this particular thread and how this was a factor in some members choosing to leave the forum. It is this kind of behavior that I find offensive and I tried to address in my misguided and foolish way.

I get the feeling Locozuna that you thrive on this type of behavior, that you enjoy engaging in this type of flame posting, hence the reason you seem to keep fanning the flames. I myself, have better things to do with my time (like riding or upgrading my motorcycles), and I've said all I need to say about this in this thread. I'm sure you'll continue to bash me with some of that wonderfully wacky, refined, and oh so mature sense of humor of yours in future posts as I reckon a guy like you needs to have the last word. And I'm ok with that. I'm over it. You do whatever you need to do to make you feel good. Just keep in mind that every time you do you are just proving my point.

* 4-into-1 header
* Uni Pod Filters
Last edit: 01 Aug 2009 02:25 by Cychotic.

More
31 Jul 2009 19:48 - 31 Jul 2009 19:50 #310637 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic AIR BOX Question
Cychotic wrote: "(can't think of his name right now, but he's the guy wearing the red 'fro wig in his avatar picture)"

I'm not sure that's a wig. :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 31 Jul 2009 19:50 by 650ed.

• Cychotic
  • User
More
01 Aug 2009 02:28 #310691 by Cychotic
Whoops! My bad! Hard to tell in those little pictures!:lol:

* 4-into-1 header
* Uni Pod Filters

More
01 Aug 2009 07:23 #310714 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic AIR BOX Question
OK dude dropping on your sword again eh? Not only am I not ignoring your words I am reading them twice and three times. Are you re-reading your own words? Try it and then honestly tell me which words were more inflamatory. Plus the sentiment that since you are experiencing no adverse effects of your pods the contrary must be hyperbole and myth. The other side of the coin seems to take a stance that they have experienced the effects but concedes that some have not. So we or more specifically I am flaming? No I do enjoy sparring but I do not go looking for trouble I just don't turn away when I find it. And I do not fight old fights under new flags. BUT

Bonus points:
Also don't look now but I did not bring up the exhaust...you did and I believe it is your real gripe here (besides me). But that is my belief only. Again since you did. In the old thread the original poster alluded to it was his right as an AMERICAN to have an obnoxious exhaust. A right that trods upon rights of other AMERICANS if you believe it to be a right at all. It quantifies the term "UGLY AMERICAN" by putting ones rights above others rights. It's the me my rights are above yours defense. Just start another thread if you want to discuss that all over again. I'm here for ya.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
01 Aug 2009 08:58 #310724 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic AIR BOX Question
oxcadillacxo,

Which motor oil is best?:silly:

I, too, think some of the shortcomings of pods have been over-stated. As you can see, there are many things to consider in this decision, particularly, sound, looks, price.

Unless you plan to remove your carbs often, ease of removal seems irrelevant.

Cleaning and oiling four filters is abit more time consuming than replacing a single paper filter, but how often will this really happen?

Horsepower is a non-issue. A couple of characters at zrxoa.com did some dyno tests. On the dyno, a carefully modified factory air box with a high flow filter (like K&N) netted higher readings than fully stock box or pods. The box also provides a less turbulent air supply which MAY reduce inconsistencies in air flow and air-fuel ratio that tubulent air around pods MIGHT create.

However, removing that heavy air box will probably give you an extra 15mph on top end.

Most importantly, pods will save the ozone, the snail darters and Al Gore.

SO SAY WE ALL!!

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough