#4 Plug Fouling

More
07 Jun 2009 06:42 #296938 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic #4 Plug Fouling
88alltrac wrote:

...new float valves and seats. i still have the problem where when it is parked gas will overflow out of the carbs. any ideas here. i have a fuel filter so it shouldnt be crap getting stuck in there....

Not unusual after cleaning, with or without new float valves.

Often, rapping smartly against side of float bowl while engine is idling will resolve the issue.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2009 06:45 #296940 by Patton
88alltrac wrote:

no slots in any. they appear to be pressed in.

If not already done, the orifice might need to be gently and carefully cleaned with a wire.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Jun 2009 06:55 #296944 by Patton
If not already familar, here's some good info.

Allow sufficient time for download.

Click here > Homework assignment

Have heard of using small round fishing line weight being pressed into place as substitute for the rubber plug.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Jun 2009 10:33 #297005 by 88alltrac
Replied by 88alltrac on topic #4 Plug Fouling
Patton wrote:

88alltrac wrote:

...new float valves and seats. i still have the problem where when it is parked gas will overflow out of the carbs. any ideas here. i have a fuel filter so it shouldnt be crap getting stuck in there....

Not unusual after cleaning, with or without new float valves.

Often, rapping smartly against side of float bowl while engine is idling will resolve the issue.

I do that. they will work fine at first. it seems to be when my gas tank is full and then i park it they leak. if my tank is half full then no gas leaks out. and it is a pretty slow leak. overnight it will only drip a little bit.

81 KZ1000 K1
Lincoln NE

More
07 Jun 2009 10:38 #297006 by 88alltrac
Patton wrote:

88alltrac wrote:

i dont know which carb is leaking. they are brand new float needles and the pins all appeared to be straight and move freely.

Could determine which carb by placing a separate catch jar at each overflow tube exit underneath the bike.

Or detach tubes from overflow nipples and watch for escaping fuel.

i will have to take the carb boots off to determine this as my overflows are in the intake of my carb. i think this is a secondary issue though. because the gas is leaking out quite slowly. i dont think it is enough to affect it after the bike has been running for a while.

81 KZ1000 K1
Lincoln NE

More
07 Jun 2009 10:40 #297008 by 88alltrac
Patton wrote:

88alltrac wrote:

no slots in any. they appear to be pressed in.

If not already done, the orifice might need to be gently and carefully cleaned with a wire.

done. and blew lots of carb cleaner through it.

81 KZ1000 K1
Lincoln NE

More
07 Jun 2009 10:47 #297011 by 88alltrac
Patton wrote:

Have heard of using small round fishing line weight being pressed into place as substitute for the rubber plug.

well it is a metal plug with an o ring on it. i am going to try to find some replacement o rings at a hardware store.
what would happen if those plugs werent in place? would the pilot jet pull in too much fuel?

81 KZ1000 K1
Lincoln NE

More
07 Jun 2009 10:48 #297012 by Patton
88alltrac wrote:

...is a pretty slow leak. overnight it will only drip a little bit.

With properly functioning manual petcock, turning it OFF while parked is a good practice and should resolve the issue.

With properly functioning vacuum petcock, this issue should not exist in either RUN or RES position, because the petcock disallows fuel flow unless engine is running. However, leaving parked overnight in PRI position would allow fuel flow through petcock with or without engine running.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Jun 2009 11:06 #297017 by 88alltrac
Patton wrote:

88alltrac wrote:

...is a pretty slow leak. overnight it will only drip a little bit.

With properly functioning manual petcock, turning it OFF while parked is a good practice and should resolve the issue.

With properly functioning vacuum petcock, this issue should not exist in either RUN or RES position, because the petcock disallows fuel flow unless engine is running. However, leaving parked overnight in PRI position would allow fuel flow through petcock with or without engine running.

i have a vacuum petcock. i just put all new internals in it from z1enterprises. it works great when the tank isnt full but when it has a full tank it is like it cant quite hold it. there is even a new spring in there. i think for now i might just put a shutoff valve inline with the fuel line until i can get the carb issue sorted out.

81 KZ1000 K1
Lincoln NE

More
07 Jun 2009 11:24 #297018 by Patton
88alltrac wrote:

Patton wrote:

well it is a metal plug with an o ring on it. i am going to try to find some replacement o rings at a hardware store.
what would happen if those plugs werent in place? would the pilot jet pull in too much fuel?

Am uncertain about function of the plug, but perhaps just to discourage "tampering" with the pilot fuel mixture. Could be wrong. Thinking the 0-ring would itself be alone sufficient (without the plug) to seal against intrusion of outside air at this site.

The parts diagram says pilot "air" screw. But I'm uncertain as to whether it might actually be a pilot "mixture" screw. The difference being that a pilot air screw would be turned clockwise to diminish air allowed into the pilot circuit and thereby enrichen the pilot circuit. Whereby a pilot mixture screw would be turned counter-clockwise to increase volume of fuel mixture allowed into the pilot circuit and thereby effectively enrichen the pilot circuit.

Anyhow, where the pilot circuit is too rich as evidenced by fuel fouled sparkplugs and/or failed combustion, should be able to attain a leaner pilot circuit by adjusting the pilot screw.

If by-guess and by-golly, would disregard the plug and just turn the screw a 1/2 turn counter-clockwise and test run with a brand new sparkplug. If the condition worsens, try clockwise 1/2 turn past original position,and test run again with another brand new sparkplug.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Jun 2009 13:09 #297042 by 88alltrac
the plug i am talking about is not the one that covers the pilot air screw. it is inside the float bowl covering the actual pilot jet. with the plug over this jet it gets fuel through a passage off of the main jet. i am thinking it could perhaps pull additional fuel through the leak around the plug causing a rich mixture.

81 KZ1000 K1
Lincoln NE

More
07 Jun 2009 16:11 #297080 by Patton
Am thinking it's correct that the plug seal could fail due to defect in the 0-ring and thereby allow additional fuel to the pilot circuit.

The 0-ring, part no. 92055-1059, is identified as a check valve 0-ring.
It is used on 46 different Kawasaki models from 1979~2005.
And is supposedly still available at dealerships.

The plug, part no. 92066-1087, is identified as a pilot jet plug.
It is used on 29 different Kawasaki models from 1981~2005
And is supposedly still available at dealerships.

Here's one image.
And there's another image in the following post.

[Click on image to enhance view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: