Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
11 Mar 2009 13:33 #271199 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
You guys are scaring me here!!!:ohmy:
I've used Stabil in my Bandit for the last 3 winters and it's kinda cranky when I start it up in the spring. The tank is just a super pain to drain and remove for the winter like I do with all my other bikes. I'm thinking I'll be taking the Bandit tank off from now on regardless of how much work is involved. I definitely don't want my Bandit carbs looking like that. I think I've dodged the bullet so far because I only buy gas from Esso (Exxon) and in this end of the world they're not yet convinced that ethanol extenders are the way to go.....thank God. But that state of affairs won't last too much longer, I'm sure.:(

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2009 15:21 #271213 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
that is the reason i do not use stabil anymore. it may keep gas "good" but it cannot stop it from evaporating and thats whats left over.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

• 79MKII
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
More
11 Mar 2009 15:31 #271214 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
I contacted the company that makes stabil and I'll post the response below. I explained that I used old stabil (maybe 5 years old) and wondered if that could have caused the contamination. I noticed just before sending the original question that Stabil has a 2 year shelf life. The company's response was that it might not protect gas after 2 years, but it wouldn't leave a residue either.

This guy is either a terrible typist or not very good with grammar and punctuation...here's the response, copied and pasted...

Sta-Bil even way too old Product will not cause any GEL.
What does the gel look like Sta-Bil that was old opend 5 years or more ago might not work Gum from Gasoline is a soft Jello-looking brown goo
Alcohol in gasoline like Methanol of Ethanol found in Reformulated E10 form Greenish-Yellow deposits which ate Alcohol metal soaps alcohol from the fuel reacts with the casting metal in the Carrbuator (Aluminum and Zinc) this same thickening effect along with naphthenic hydrocarbons forms the basis of Napam
The small amount of copper in the brass parts of the fuel system give it the color.
Brown deep almost brownish black is Gum ~~~ 5 year old Sta-Bil was out of date or the gas that you used it in was starting to turn already

All other colors are the result of Alcohol in the fuel

Use Fresh Sta-Bil and Fresh gasoline to prevent both of these problems

Tom Wicks

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

More
11 Mar 2009 16:59 #271229 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
yes i can't really read his writing to well but what he said made sense to me the only time i've ever seen anything that resembled what you have growing in your carbs is after a few months of sitting with a full load of methonal in the carbs of my hillclimber after i saw that mess it made my decsion easy about alcohol enriched fuels never again for me anyway. i really think that is the direction you need to be looking at i don't think your tank liner is the cause i still think it's the fuel that sat in the bowls.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
11 Mar 2009 17:26 #271231 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
79MKII wrote:

I contacted the company that makes stabil and I'll post the response below. I explained that I used old stabil (maybe 5 years old) and wondered if that could have caused the contamination. I noticed just before sending the original question that Stabil has a 2 year shelf life. The company's response was that it might not protect gas after 2 years, but it wouldn't leave a residue either.

This guy is either a terrible typist or not very good with grammar and punctuation...here's the response, copied and pasted...

Sta-Bil even way too old Product will not cause any GEL.
What does the gel look like Sta-Bil that was old opend 5 years or more ago might not work Gum from Gasoline is a soft Jello-looking brown goo
Alcohol in gasoline like Methanol of Ethanol found in Reformulated E10 form Greenish-Yellow deposits which ate Alcohol metal soaps alcohol from the fuel reacts with the casting metal in the Carrbuator (Aluminum and Zinc) this same thickening effect along with naphthenic hydrocarbons forms the basis of Napam
The small amount of copper in the brass parts of the fuel system give it the color.
Brown deep almost brownish black is Gum ~~~ 5 year old Sta-Bil was out of date or the gas that you used it in was starting to turn already

All other colors are the result of Alcohol in the fuel

Use Fresh Sta-Bil and Fresh gasoline to prevent both of these problems

Tom Wicks

company rep? tell me this guy doesnt have a 4 yr degree....sad part is he might actually be working on his thesis or disertation.....:laugh:

• 79MKII
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
More
11 Mar 2009 18:04 #271246 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
I haven't had time to work on the carbs any more, but I did check them. The residue has dried to a very fine off-white powder. I'm leaning toward alcohol and/or stabil in the gas causing the formation of the contaminant while in the bowls for just about 2 months.

There are also crystal-like formations present around some of the internal parts. Sure seems more like a chemical reaction than liner migration. I hope so...

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
11 Mar 2009 18:27 #271250 by kano
Replied by kano on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
i agree.
i think in my case it was a coincidence both happened at the same time.

More
11 Mar 2009 20:18 #271282 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
I'm down in Cincinnati and I have seen the same crud in my carbs after storage. I always figured it was fuel related. I have started draining bowls last thing in the fall to help prevent this.
I have a few friends who store their bikes and power equipment with race fuel in the tank. It costs a bit but they never have bowl crud problems!

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

More
11 Mar 2009 21:34 #271296 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
I left ajugastable in the shed for a couple years and what it turned into is way bad. Worse than what's in carbs from old gas. Thought about staining the shed with it. When it's new and fresh it's good to use. I just drain gas out of everything now. I'm tired of dealing with the residue, the rust, the place dispose of it. Hey did I tell ya I started a virago on fire? supposed to be CLEANING the carbs right? well it had a fried starter and I tried to fix it. It was leaking gas down from the carbs and onto the starter. When i jumped it it started the whole bike on fire. I rushed it out of the garage to the backyard with flames 2ft over the handle bars. Grabbed the hose and doused it. Whew flames almost out. Needed some more hose but it was stuck on the reel so i yanked it and broke off the hose from the spigot. Fuel line broke then too and it started an even bigger fire. Ran to the neigbors and asked for extinguiser please. He heed, hawd, and i ran back to see if the five gallon pail i braced under the spigot was full for a last ditch effort, before the fire dept was called. I came around the corner heart just hammering, out of breath. I saw what looked like a gremlin jump into the lilac bush and dissapear, looked over at the bike and the fire was OUT. I couldn't believe it. And it was ok, the fuel line did not break and that motor has a pump! I peeked into the lilac bush and heard a thump behind me. I whirled around in time to see a jug of stable roll to stop against the bike. Then that faint sound hheee. The guy rode that bike one time and though I told him he did not replace the battery and it's been sitting ever since this spring when I went through the carbs and put on a new starter. Cost him 200 bucks for what?

More
11 Mar 2009 21:35 #271297 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
Then his check bounced in my brothers account.

More
12 Mar 2009 17:54 #271432 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Disturbing Find Inside New Carbs - RS34
nads.com wrote:

I left ajugastable in the shed for a couple years and what it turned into is way bad. Worse than what's in carbs from old gas. Thought about staining the shed with it. When it's new and fresh it's good to use. I just drain gas out of everything now. I'm tired of dealing with the residue, the rust, the place dispose of it. Hey did I tell ya I started a virago on fire? supposed to be CLEANING the carbs right? well it had a fried starter and I tried to fix it. It was leaking gas down from the carbs and onto the starter. When i jumped it it started the whole bike on fire. I rushed it out of the garage to the backyard with flames 2ft over the handle bars. Grabbed the hose and doused it. Whew flames almost out. Needed some more hose but it was stuck on the reel so i yanked it and broke off the hose from the spigot. Fuel line broke then too and it started an even bigger fire. Ran to the neigbors and asked for extinguiser please. He heed, hawd, and i ran back to see if the five gallon pail i braced under the spigot was full for a last ditch effort, before the fire dept was called. I came around the corner heart just hammering, out of breath. I saw what looked like a gremlin jump into the lilac bush and dissapear, looked over at the bike and the fire was OUT. I couldn't believe it. And it was ok, the fuel line did not break and that motor has a pump! I peeked into the lilac bush and heard a thump behind me. I whirled around in time to see a jug of stable roll to stop against the bike. Then that faint sound hheee. The guy rode that bike one time and though I told him he did not replace the battery and it's been sitting ever since this spring when I went through the carbs and put on a new starter. Cost him 200 bucks for what?

i m guessing he"s a user of that there hydroponic stuff...:laugh: very entertaining:laugh: anytime i see a post,i have to read...its like going by a car wreck..you know kinda what you will see, but ya look anyway...:laugh: