No fuel problem

More
09 Feb 2009 16:39 #263367 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic No fuel problem
:unsure: All cylinders have compression?
Without compression, it can't suck fuel mixture.

Any history which might explain all pilots circuits simultaneously clogging? :unsure:

Good Luck!:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 17:11 #263371 by bigpappab
Replied by bigpappab on topic No fuel problem
Good compression. NO history to speak of. It's a clean bike that has been well taken care of

More
09 Feb 2009 19:50 #263412 by bigpappab
Got the carbs off. Easier than I thought. Took the float bowls off and cleaned them out. Removed jets and sprayed carb cleaner everywhere that was mentioned...plus in my eyes...AHHHHH!! :pinch:
Didn't take off all the choke plungers..just one to see if there was anything in there. Looked clean. I blew air into the fuel inlet hose and heard air coming through.
Got it all put back together and still the same :angry:
Ran the battery down trying to get it started, charging now.
Still nothing at all in the cylinders/on the plugs..DRY!!!

More
10 Feb 2009 04:38 - 10 Feb 2009 04:40 #263484 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic No fuel problem
Looks clean? Bwhahahaha Those are what are known as fatal last words. Did you spray carb cleaner into the pilot air jet and see it come out in a mist/stream from the hole in the venturi? (ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN WORKING ON ANYTHING!).

Your answer regarding compression indicates you won't have much of a riding season. IF you checked the carburetors as I suggested and the pilot circuit is clear, then you have either a compression issue or spark issue. You can't check compression by looking at a bike and observing it has a nice paint job. You need a compression gauge. Pull the plugs. Turn the bike over with the starter and hold the throttle open or remove the carbs while you do it.

Let us know if you saw fuel spraying out the little hole in venturi and let us know what compression readings you have.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 04:40 by wiredgeorge.

More
10 Feb 2009 05:34 #263495 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic No fuel problem
just wondering if it is really drawing air, with the air box off, or pods, put your hand over one or more of the carbs, turn it over, you should have gas on your hand and in the carb, if not then the carbs are still plugged up.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
10 Feb 2009 09:38 #263526 by bigpappab
Yeah, well it was getting late and I just wanted to see if what I had done was going to work.
I actually had glasses on but took them off when I walked into the house.

I know how to check compression..thanks. I'm just new to working on bikes, not cars or engines.
Dont have a compression guage here to get an exact number. Other tools still in NC. I'll pick one up tonight.

More
10 Feb 2009 09:56 #263529 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic No fuel problem
If not already done, would remove plugs and visually check spark quality on each individual plug.

And thereafter double-check ignition timing (static method of course). Assure F mark aligns with case mark.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Feb 2009 18:27 #263911 by jmods62
Replied by jmods62 on topic No fuel problem
hey dude!
took awile to read through all that but from what i read you still haven't heard it run at all. the first thing i do in a no start situation is check everything needed for combustion, air/fuel mix, compression, ignition source. sounds like you have proven spark and compression, the way i do a fuel test is take off the air inlet and spray carb cleaner into the back ao the carbs (about 1 second for each carb) then crank. if it starts and run for a few seconds then its fuel starved. carb are very difficult for the novice, buy a book and read. good luck joe

More
11 Feb 2009 19:23 #263928 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic No fuel problem
In my limited time working on stock carbs I found that I could not clean the pilot jets with the force of air.
You should be able to see through the pilot jet if it's clean. It's hard, but if you put it up to a light source you can see through if it's clean.
If not clean, I used one wire out of a wire brush and it was the perfect size to get through the jet.

Tough problem..let us know what you find.

Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

More
12 Feb 2009 09:53 #264147 by bigpappab
Any more work on the bike has to wait until Monday. I have to drive back to NC tomorrow to get the rest of my furniture. Hopefully I can figure something out Monday

More
12 Feb 2009 17:02 #264279 by jmods62
Replied by jmods62 on topic No fuel problem
hey dude,
just thought of something, your bike ran before you worked on the altenator, and now it don't start. you have spark, but is it fire in the right order? you my have switched the pick up wires, that would fire each cylinder on top dead center exhaust instead of top dead center compression. check it out! first prime your carbs like i mentioned before, if it fires its timed right if not you have them switched. good luck...joe

More
12 Feb 2009 18:07 #264305 by bigpappab
Not it..Let me start over.
Bike was running but not charging at all. I had the bike shop rebuild carbs, install jet kit and replace the stator. It ran much better but was still only putting out like 11.7v or something like that.
Anyway, it was running great while it ran. I took it out for an 8 mile ride to test it out. First 2 miles it ran like a new bike. Took off from the light and a little hesitation but nothing bad. Cruised steady at 55mph then sputtered. Gave it some more rpms and it cleared up. Next stop it sputtered a lot but I got it going. Last 2 miles were very bad but it did ok as long as the rpms were kept up. It died in the driveway. Battery was dead too.

I just bought a new rectifier hoping that will fix the charging issue. As for the carbs, I am getting gas to the carbs but not through them to the cylinders. Something is clogged. All cylinder are bone dry