No fuel problem

More
08 Feb 2009 16:04 - 08 Feb 2009 16:51 #263030 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic No fuel problem
Unfortunately, you may not have much choice. Try taking the two loose hoses and plugging them up. This will not hurt anything, and see what happens. Past this I am out of ideas (for the moment:angry: )

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 08 Feb 2009 16:51 by otakar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2009 16:34 - 08 Feb 2009 16:36 #263040 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic No fuel problem
There is a BS carb connections link under wg's Tech Stuff Index on our website that explains how to hook up BS34 carburetors. Based on the comments in this thread, I would recommend you open up a drain screw to determine if there is gas in the bowl. Not sure how you can tell if gas is getting to a spark plug but if it is in the bowl, it pretty much gets drawn into the combustion chamber.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Last edit: 08 Feb 2009 16:36 by wiredgeorge.

More
08 Feb 2009 16:46 #263048 by bigpappab
Replied by bigpappab on topic No fuel problem
I drained each carb then turned the gas back on. They all fill back up.
As for the plugs, definitely no gas. The are dry and smell like a new plug.

More
08 Feb 2009 16:49 #263052 by bigpappab
And I just blocked off the vacuum ports.. no difference

More
08 Feb 2009 16:56 #263055 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic No fuel problem
When was the last time you had the bike running and under what circumstances? Did you do anything to the carbs since the last time it was running?

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
08 Feb 2009 17:06 #263057 by bigpappab
It was running about 2 months ago when we were in NC. I started having the "not charging" issue and didn't have time to fix it before we moved. Now we are in NW Florida.
Have done nothing to the carbs since. Only put on a new rectifier.
Got spark but no gas

More
08 Feb 2009 18:36 #263080 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic No fuel problem
bigpappab wrote:

It was running about 2 months ago when we were in NC. I started having the "not charging" issue and didn't have time to fix it before we moved. Now we are in NW Florida.
Have done nothing to the carbs since. Only put on a new rectifier.
Got spark but no gas

As george said no fuel thru the mains using BS carbs means no fuel to the pilots.Your carbs have a passage from the main jet to the pilots, is it clear?. Do your BS carbs have the plug that covers the access hole that the pilot jets are in? If not get the metal covers and O rings from Kaw or use the rubber covers from Suzukis with BS carbs.

More
08 Feb 2009 18:55 #263088 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic No fuel problem
It seems odd that the bike ran for about 10 mile afer the carb rebuild?
I'm not an expert on street bikes but this sounds to me like a pilot jet problem, but kinda odd that all four pilots would be pluged.

An old trick, Remove the plugs out of cylinders 1 and 4. Pour in a small (and I do mean small, maybe a table spoon in each cylinder) amount of gas directly into each cylinder replace the plugs and try to start the bike. You'll have to do this quickly.
If the bike tries to fire then you know the ignition is ok and that the problem is in the idle circuit.

If you changed the petcock maybe you got some crap from the tank into the fuel system and plugged up the ptlot jets.

With the right screwdriver you might be able to remove the float bowl from either carb 1 or 4 and check the bowl and pilot jet.

Believe me always check the obvious frist. The guys on this site have been helping me shoot an idle problem for a couple of weeks. Wiredgeorge suggested I check the return spring and it turns out my problem was the throttle return spring!!!!

Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

More
08 Feb 2009 19:31 #263108 by bigpappab
I'll get started on the carbs tomorrow after work. Would it be advisable to try to blow into the fuel feed line to free whatever is blocking? Blow with either my mouth or from an air hose. Could it damage any seals? Figure as long as it's not 100psi or something crazy it shouldn't hurt...but what do I know :silly:

More
08 Feb 2009 19:39 #263109 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic No fuel problem
just take them all apart and use compressed air to blow all the passeges and jets out idividually make sure you take the floats and slides right out before you hit it with the air also apray abit of carb cleaner in each passage and jet before you hit it with the air.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
08 Feb 2009 21:01 - 09 Feb 2009 16:24 #263145 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic No fuel problem
Does choke assembly seem intact and funtioning to simultaneously activate enrichener circuit plungers on the carbs? :unsure: Thinking maybe something's come loose mechanically that's affected all four carbs. Perhaps an enrichment circuit activation failure common to all carbs.

Odd that after performing okay for 10 miles all carbs would simultaneously fail in some manner whereby suddenly no fuel mixture is available to be sucked from any carb into any combustion chamber. Especially where floatbowl fuel level is presumably correct in each carb.

Many enrichener circuits are designed to function only when the throttle is left completely closed (absolutely untouched) during the initial cranking in a cold startup. Has start-up been attempted with choke fully engaged and without touching the throttle grip?

If not already done, could as a last resort (before disassembling carbs) experiment by spraying some starter fluid into the air intakes while attempting to start the engine.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Feb 2009 16:24 by Patton.

More
09 Feb 2009 16:08 #263353 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic No fuel problem
Ok... figured out you have fuel in the bowls. If your bowls have fuel and the plugs are dry after cranking, the pilot jets or pilot circuit is clogged. You should be able to start the bike with the on choke unless the choke fuel pick up tubes are clogged which isn't unusual if the pilot jets/pilot circuit is also clogged. What I would do is remove the carbs, spray carb cleaner in the pilot air jet and see if comes out the little hole towards the front (where the carbs hook to the cylinder head). If it doesn't, cleaning is needed and I would replace the pilot jets. I would also take the choke plungers out and ensure that the passageway down through the pickup tubes (there is a little hole on the end) is free by spraying more carb cleaner in the hole that gas enters the enrichener circuit under the plunger.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!