Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road

More
01 Aug 2007 09:05 #161136 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road
Higher resistance on the coil primary will make them run cooler, not hotter. But it's still bad.

Leaking air into the boots causes it to run lean. Running lean under accleration can lead to detonation. Detonation puts a hole in the piston.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2007 15:03 #161198 by srobie1
Replied by srobie1 on topic Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road
I am thinking about making some new carb holders. I am A Machinest and I have access to all the needed machines, Manual and CNC. But does anyone know what material thay are made of? They look to be plastic, delrin maybe. I could make them from aluminum to make them more durable. But then may not create a very good seal. Or would I just be wasting my time making the damn things? They aren't cheap, but not all that unreasonable. I could make them a little longer if I did make them. Would there be a benefit to making longer carb holders? kinda like a spacer for a four barrel carb on a small block. May increase performace, then again they may create more of a problem. I could just get stock holders and make spacers. Either way I will be getting them replaced. Just doing a little thinking out loud here. What do you guys think? I am going to get the ignition squared away 1st, then move onto the carb holders. At this point I need to finish one problem then move onto the next. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys, keep them coming. I would not be were I am with this bike if it weren't for this forum. Would still be scratching my head or getting an ear full from wife about all the cash spent on it. Wait she already is. O well B)

More
02 Aug 2007 04:19 #161281 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road
If you make new carb holder it would have to be out of a rubber, like nitrile or something. I would not sugest that it be solid mounted to the engine. I believe that the engine vibrations might shake things a bit too much.
A far as lenghtening the holders, I have alwas thought that longer intake runners made more torque. Not sure how long you can make then do to lack of space behind carbs unless you tuck the air filter under the carbs using a p-trap from the sink:side: :whistle: :huh: . That just might work except you will be pulling hot air in from to engine... unless you stick the carbs out the side:S .
I think this needs to be moved to a new tread we are getting off the subect of getting your bike started with out the use of starting fluid;)

More
02 Aug 2007 08:23 #161323 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road
Viton ETP is recommended for gasoline, but I don't know if that's what they used. Usually I only see it in orings and seals. Nitrile can hold up to gasoline to a limited extent, so it may be nitrile.

There is also Kalrez, Simriz, and Chemraz which are listed for fuel/gasoline. These are brand names.

You need a fluorocarbon elastomer.

More
02 Aug 2007 14:58 #161400 by srobie1
Replied by srobie1 on topic Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road
Thanks guys, I was just throwing an idea out there. I am going probably buy a set if I can find them. I am going to get the coils first off. I know what you mean snakebyte, I was just think out loud. I need to first get it starting right, before I start doing custom fab work. Thanks for waking me up.:huh: Waiting on $$$ to buy the coils. Probably will be getting them next week. Unless my search for a cheap new or slightly used set is successful. Have been combing through ebay for a good deal.
Attachments:

More
02 Aug 2007 19:51 #161448 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road
I bought my 77 kz650 which was sitting around for at least 2 yrs and ran kind of sluggish but acceptable. Instead of taking the carbs off and going through that hassle I sprayed some carb cleaner in the throat and then put Seafoam through the vacuum lines and it runs great now. Just another cheap alternative for ya to see if its just a minor deal.

77 KZ650C airpods and 4 into 2 turn outs exhaust. VM carbs

82 550 LTD all stock except air pods
Attachments: