HELP! dying under throttle

More
04 May 2007 21:03 #137224 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic dying under throttle update HELP!
It sounds like you still have several issues happening. Typically, the way you want to go about things is engine, then electrical, then carbs. Carbs are last because the other parts are easier to verify as working correctly.

The compression is at least even, so we'll assume the engine is ok, at least when cold. Really, the valve lash and cam timing should be checked, but that's a big job. If the valve lash is way off, the motor will get rougher as it warms up.

Next, you really need to verify the timing accurately. First, (I may have mentioned this earlier), you should verify that the T mark on the advancer does indeed line up when the 1 and 4 pistons are at TDC. Feel into the plug hole with something that won't fall in, and rotate the crank until you feel the piston is near top dead center. Then nudge the crank either way to find the limits where the piston just starts to move down. The center of the two limits is TDC. Then you should find the T mark lined up. If you get good at it, you should be within a degree or two.

Next you'll need a timing light to be right on, but you can do a rough eyeball on it as a last resort. Do you have a strobe timing light?

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/05/05 00:03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 May 2007 06:22 #137268 by tcbradbury98
Replied by tcbradbury98 on topic dying under throttle update HELP!
I verified TDC, and took carbs 3 and 4 apart and cleaned them again. Worked on the fuel mix and finally got them evened out and the bike takes throttle and has great power. I will check the timing this weekend and see that it is verified right. thanks again.

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 May 2007 20:31 #137459 by tcbradbury98
Replied by tcbradbury98 on topic dying under throttle update HELP!
Haven't had a chance to verify timing yet, rode the bike a little and tonight on the way home, it started backfiring and losing power. Then it died and would only restart on choke. Ran fine after that, then it did it again. Bike has good power up to about 55-60 mph, then no go. Will check timing as soo as I can. 3 and 4 pipes still not hot, like 1 and 2.

More
22 May 2007 08:34 #142392 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic dying under throttle update HELP!
Any progress on this? My bike started misbehaving on me this weekend on the way home from NY. I missed a shift and overreved it a bit passing granny in her cadillac, so I think I might have tweaked the timing. it runs really rough down below about 5500 rpm, and will eventually pull nicely after around 6000. It's like it keeps missing a cylinder for a bit, then decides it's good to go and will run like normal.

The screw holding the (+) battery cable on was loose as well, so I hope the IC Igniter didn't get screwed up because of it..Once I tightened it down, it started running a little bit better, but I had 'er nearly WFO and cruising at 5500rpm at 60mph. It wasn't nice, especially 300 miles from home. :P

*sigh* I guess this is the wrenching part of wrench, ride, wrench, ride...etc.

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4