HELP! dying under throttle

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Apr 2007 19:38 #134018 by tcbradbury98
HELP! dying under throttle was created by tcbradbury98
Hey guys, got some problems here. We have replaced the carb holders, rebuilt the carbs, and fixed the choke flaps. We replaced the advancer as well. Benched synched the carbs. Plugs are a little carboned from idleing, but spark is strong and compression is good. Bike idles fine, but when you give it throttle it pops and dies. Anybody have any ideas?

Post edited by: tcbradbury98, at: 2007/05/04 13:35

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2007 20:04 #134028 by mstbone67a
Replied by mstbone67a on topic dying under throttle
Hey don't forget we did the coil mod. I also found the mixture screw orings were bad. replaced those.. and still same.. dies when give it throttle.

cleaned/rebuilt the carbs.. found

choke flaps missing
dirty jets
carb holders-cracked.

Cleaned the carbs. put the new jets, needle-seats in, replaced the orings on the airmixture screws.

got it all together and it just wont run right.
got compression 125psi each cylinder.
Got spark nice blue spark, even did the coil mod.

I can choke it ..get it started. but if i turn the choke off it finally will idle but it will not take any throttle at all.

Checked vacuum lines sealed them all off. I even plugged the valves on the top of the motor.

We did find the advancer was rusted solid. Replaced that.. and cleaned all the rust off everything on the side.

how are those magnets supposed to back on there.. they have white lines on them but they both dont match up..

More
26 Apr 2007 06:33 #134127 by mstbone67a
Maybe Loudhvx will chime in.. (hint)

More
26 Apr 2007 06:50 #134134 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic dying under throttle
Bradbury, Would this dying be occuring without installing an airbox? Sounds like the pilot/idle mixture is lean. What type airbox you running and what jetting?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Apr 2007 06:51 #134138 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic dying under throttle
Are you sure that the line is going from your petcock to your carb for the vacuum to draw gas?

I had that problem the other day..which was wierd, cause the bike rode fine for about 80km before deciding to die on me on my way home..once I realised what the problem was, it wasn't one.. :)

Does it run fine on 'prime'? Is the engine getting enough air? Hows the airbox - or are you running pods?

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Apr 2007 06:59 #134142 by tcbradbury98
Replied by tcbradbury98 on topic dying under throttle
Bike has the stock airbox and air filter on it. As far as I know the jetting is stock. The new needles do have adjustable clips though. I'm assuming the gas lines are on correctly. I know that when you are stumped, it usually is something small.

More
26 Apr 2007 07:04 #134146 by pyxen
I'd check the placement of that vacuum line..how does it rev with the choke in a bit? Does it make a difference?

Would that make a difference? :huh:

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
26 Apr 2007 10:17 #134204 by mstbone67a
First off I apologize to Travis. I thought I could help him out by rebuilding the carbs on his bike. I have done it before on my kz and other bikes I own. But for somereason this one is not working for me.

Ok. yep the vacuum line from carb 4 is going to the pecock. carb 4 and 1 vacuum lines go together with a t and is capped off. carbs 2 and 3 are just capped off.

92 and 32 are the jets that came out and same for the new ones installed.

It does rev up a bit when turning the choke all the way on.. it lifts the slides up when the choke is on.

What about those magnets under the pulsing coils. Seems one side of them have a white line. How do they go on.

More
26 Apr 2007 10:19 #134206 by pyxen
You sure it's supposed to be carb 4?

My vacuum line comes off carb 3 - and the only other one I've heard of is carb 2, on these 550s..

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Apr 2007 10:34 #134212 by tcbradbury98
No need to apologize man, you've helped me a whole lot, we will figure this out, hang in there. You will get your garage back.

More
26 Apr 2007 10:54 #134220 by pyxen
You guys have a manual, right? :)

I can't find where to put the vacuum line in the Clymer, so I wouldn't take my word for it right now. :laugh:

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Apr 2007 11:05 #134223 by tcbradbury98
Yeah we have the clymer manual. mstbones is at his day job, so we may work on it tonight.