125 HP?

More
09 Oct 2006 19:17 #83021 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic 125 HP?
larrycavan wrote:

caffcruiser wrote:

;)<br><br>Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/09/29 09:45

Do that with stock pistons and kiss the ring lands good-bye....you need forged pistons for juice.

Oh really? Coulda fooled me. Last I checked it kinda depended on the shot and timing/tuning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2006 19:43 #83027 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 125 HP?
Duck wrote:

energy is power multiplied by time

I doubt Lorcan is running at full output for more than 80 seconds. 800kw-sec is about what it takes to boil 10 cups of water. Heat energy is radiated and when "the chain" is referenced, it's likely the chain, sprockets, and tires.

Friction in the driveline increases with power so the percentage loss will be less at 20hp than at 200.

I would not be surprised it the 5% loss number is correct at full output.

-Duck

5% power loss for the entire driveline sounds believable to me.

KD9JUR

More
09 Dec 2006 05:49 #98404 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic 125 HP?
"Understanding Constant Mesh Transmissions" by David Searle, Motorcycle Consumer News, December 2006:

"Of course, friction in the gear reduction systems will prevent 100%-efficient transmission, and the tire itself will consume some power. Between 15-25% of the engine's rated crankshaft horsepower will typically disappear between the 'brochure' and its rear wheel output on the dyno."

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 06:07 #98408 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic 125 HP?
Exitpupil wrote:

Thanks to this thread I'm spending more money than I intended! I ordered a 1075cc overbore kit and .410 cams to complement the 34mm carbs. Cry once and be done with it. The grin factor should dry up the tears.

Well said! :)

With a bone stock cylinderhead clearances for the cams, good valve job and properly jetted carbs, your combination should rival the 83GPz, within reasonable expectations.

What you have is:

1. slightly smaller bore
2. slightly more cam
3. better breathing top end "potential" from the carbs
4. smaller valves, port runners and poorer flowing cylinderhead with a less efficient combustion chamber design.

If you are leaving the head stock, it's a mistake.

To take advantave of the 34mm carbs on a KZ1000 head, the port runners need to be opened up or you're going to have a pronounced ridge where the port is smaller than the intake boot at the port entrance. Not Good for HP/TQ.

While you can certainly do the runner match for the carbs and stop there, a full street port job would be something to consider.

JMO

Larry C

Post edited by: larrycavan, at: 2006/12/09 09:23

Post edited by: larrycavan, at: 2006/12/09 09:28

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
09 Dec 2006 06:19 #98411 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic 125 HP?
steell wrote:

Duck wrote:

energy is power multiplied by time

I doubt Lorcan is running at full output for more than 80 seconds. 800kw-sec is about what it takes to boil 10 cups of water. Heat energy is radiated and when "the chain" is referenced, it's likely the chain, sprockets, and tires.

Friction in the driveline increases with power so the percentage loss will be less at 20hp than at 200.

I would not be surprised it the 5% loss number is correct at full output.

-Duck

5% power loss for the entire driveline sounds believable to me.

It might be worth considering the losses of the bike originally referenced could be 10-15%. It's easy to imagine an old Honda with 50SHP, a 630 chain, and crappy old school tires only getting 43HP to the dyno.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 08:12 #98425 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 125 HP?
77KZ650 wrote:

hey wireman, tell the guy what you have builtB)

im just sitting back and watching:P

More
09 Dec 2006 08:20 #98430 by kyradawg
Replied by kyradawg on topic 125 HP?
Bobs right! The common transmission loss is 15% flywheel to rear wheel. For example A new GSX-R1000 has 180 flywheel horsepower and 155 rear wheel.

Peace&Love:woohoo: , Darren

Post edited by: kyradawg, at: 2006/12/09 11:22

More
10 Dec 2006 18:53 #98874 by Exitpupil
Replied by Exitpupil on topic 125 HP?
Larry,
I ported it to the specs you calculated. I'll report when I get it running. Should be a combo that will satisfy me for a vintage bike

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

More
11 Dec 2006 05:02 #98952 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic 125 HP?
why is it that everyone thinks you gain 600hp just by removing the edge inside the intake track? If the valve seat is too small, the engine air doesnt know the ridge is even there. And furthermore, .410 cams, ported head, and 400mm carbs will not get you 125 horseepowers. maybe those itty bitty horses. If you don't match the gasket surface it wont even start. Hshshaahaahahahah,.