125 HP?

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Sep 2006 18:26 #80550 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 125 HP?
Fossil wrote:

andoman wrote:

Take a look at www.oldkawman.com . He has some interesting and (I think) accurate info on HP gains with different mods. Porting, pipes, cams, big bore, high compression pistons, etc. A KZ1000 is limited to less than 125 HP due to overheating issues on the street. Your goal is probably reachable for track use.

I would suggest you look elsewhere than the Old Kawman.
My GPz1100 is rated at 120hp stock, what's the difference really between it and a KZ1000 regarding overheating?
I have an 1170cc big bore kit with the compression upped to 10.25:1. No overheating issue here.
I think 125hp is easily done. Porting, carbs, exhaust...APE Jay is probably the guy to set you up.

yeah id rather listen to jay too.id suggest an 1197 if you live in a decent part of world where its not 120 year around.you can get by with smaller cams,less compression a milder cyl head and still have plenty of power without a lot of expensive hi-end parts youll need to make same power with a smaller motor,just make sure you get an oil cooler :evil: the biggest thing is to make sure your chassis is up to the task:good tires,brakes,shocks,swingarm...........all the motor in the world doesnt do you any good if you cant stop/steer it,trust me on that last part!:P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2006 19:21 #80565 by Exitpupil
Replied by Exitpupil on topic 125 HP?
Good advice. I'm much more safey conscious now that I'm over 50. And more financially able to maintain it too. Got new tires, chain, rear shocks and front springs. New brakes too. Just want some good power when I turn the wick.

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

More
30 Sep 2006 05:48 #80616 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic 125 HP?
My V65 is rated at 121hp at the crank, made 107hp on the dyno- to give you a "rule of thumb"- now, a member on this board had a pretty good formuala for 120rwhp out of a big bore based KZ motor, and it was not big thang- up here though, we can run 1428cc motors all day on the street with no issues of overheating- rarely gets over 80, and never in traffic!

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
30 Sep 2006 14:12 #80712 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic 125 HP?
Also don't forget that all the horsepower in the world is useless if you don't upgrade the suspension and chassis.

Let's face it... these bikes are not designed for that HP. The frames are gummy and the suspensions are archaic at best.

Gusset and upgrade.

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 Sep 2006 16:27 #80738 by wireman
fortunately hes starting with a fairly stiff platform ,compared to a z1 frame his ltd frame is more like a sportbike than a model A ford like the z1 frames are.i think a good swingarm should take care of most of his frame issues. this is an ungusseted 79 ltd frame on this bike and is pushing well over 150hp with no problems.;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/09/30 19:28
Attachments:

More
30 Sep 2006 18:54 #80811 by caffcruiser
Compare the handling of the chassis in the above LTD with any sportbike in terms of corner under load and tell me there's "no problem". ;)

Not trying to be a downer, but face it, tube chassis in general are a weak link. Especially if they are a surround design like all the older bikes. Why do you think bikes now are built with suspended or stressed frames when they are meant for performance?

I'm not saying they handle poorly. I like how my KZ handles. I'm just saying that it won't handle like an R6, even though it will have the power to be a decent comparison, that's all.

Then again, if it weren't a little bit scary, would any of us bother? ;) :laugh:

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/09/30 21:56

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Sep 2006 19:09 #80817 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic 125 HP?
wireman wrote:

Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 Sep 2006 19:47 #80826 by wireman
caffcruiser wrote:

Compare the handling of the chassis in the above LTD with any sportbike in terms of corner under load and tell me there's "no problem". ;)

Not trying to be a downer, but face it, tube chassis in general are a weak link. Especially if they are a surround design like all the older bikes. Why do you think bikes now are built with suspended or stressed frames when they are meant for performance?

I'm not saying they handle poorly. I like how my KZ handles. I'm just saying that it won't handle like an R6, even though it will have the power to be a decent comparison, that's all.

Then again, if it weren't a little bit scary, would any of us bother? ;) :laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/09/30 21:56

my point was that compared to a z1 frame which is about as stiff as a model A chassis with a healthy v8 bolted into it,i know ive twisted the best of em:evil: the frame on a 79 ltd is much improved and needs a swingarm more than anything else;) my 1980 ltd with 1327 was a lot stiffer platform than my z1 with an 1197,both bikes had unbraced and stock swingarms.
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 Sep 2006 19:52 #80830 by wireman
this was my 74 z1 before being torn to pieces again for current turbo project.compared to my 80ltd which had a lot more motor and power this bike was like riding a pissed off bull.you coud definately tell the improvement in the frame design of the 1980.
Attachments:

More
30 Sep 2006 20:53 #80842 by caffcruiser
wireman wrote:

caffcruiser wrote:

Then again, if it weren't a little bit scary, would any of us bother? ;) :laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/09/30 21:56

my point was that compared to a z1 frame which is about as stiff as a model A chassis with a healthy v8 bolted into it,i know ive twisted the best of em:evil: the frame on a 79 ltd is much improved and needs a swingarm more than anything else;) my 1980 ltd with 1327 was a lot stiffer platform than my z1 with an 1197,both bikes had unbraced and stock swingarms.

Oh, I agree with that. The Z1 frame wasn't known for its stiffness by any means. Especially at the front steering tube! :blink:

More
01 Oct 2006 07:29 #80904 by firemun59
Replied by firemun59 on topic 125 HP?
Exitpupil wrote:

Duck, I'm on the Blue Ridge Pky about 5 miles south of the Va border.

The 83 GPZ1100 I had once upon a time was "rated" @ 120 hp and had no heating problems. It had the power level I'm looking for.

I guess I'll just live with the mild cam upgrade, bigger carbs and pipe until it needs freshing up. Then I can go with the 1075 kit, cams, porting, etc.

Losses through the chain drive anyone?

125 HP is very realistic..and easier to come by than you think.

A big bore kit will give you the added benefit of more compression. Go for 33mm Keihin FCRs a decent pipe and hotter cams (properly degreed) and you should be right there. Add porting and you should be over 130. Keep us informed of your prgressw with pics. This should be good......:evil:

Oh ya freshen up those valve seals while you are in there.......;)

Post edited by: firemun59, at: 2006/10/01 10:31

More
01 Oct 2006 09:44 #80918 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic 125 HP?
A good rule of thumb: hp at the rear wheel is 85% of the hp at the crankshaft: 9% loss from the crank to the countershaft sprocket, another 6% loss from the countershaft sprocket to the rear wheel. Never mind the losses from the rear tire to the dyno, which depend on tire composition, dyno drum roller adhesion, etc.

So, a 120 hp@crank GPZ1100 probably produces around 102 rwhp.