Painted black

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Jun 2023 18:16 - 25 Jun 2023 18:22 #886415 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Painted black
Theere is no need to put anything on if you vapour blast, or as it's sometimes called aqua blast.  The original looking shine will last for a very long time....years.  Blasting seals things up, which slows oxidation.  The photo below was taken shortly after the engine was blasted and reassembled in 2018.  The photo below that was taken 18 months later.  The shine is still there  today.

Reassembling Engine Winter of 2018

Photo taken spring of 2020

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
  • Last edit: 25 Jun 2023 18:22 by hardrockminer.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, howardhb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    25 Jun 2023 23:23 #886426 by Wookie58

More
    26 Jun 2023 03:33 #886429 by Pattenrd
    Replied by Pattenrd on topic Painted black
    I wasn't planning on taking motor out the frame  trying to clean it up the  best i can but will check around for vapor blaster in my area thanks for the pictures  real nice bike I also have a 74 z1a mostly original second owner

• hardrockminer
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    26 Jun 2023 04:00 #886431 by hardrockminer
    Replied by hardrockminer on topic Painted black

That's a really nice bike HRM 
    Thank you Wookie!  It's my nostalgia bike.  I bought one new in 1975.  Sold it in 1987 as I had to spend time with kids growing up.  I bought this one in 2014...mostly original except for seat and pipes and a few nuts and bolts.  But this one is my favourite rider.  I've since put a '78 head on it and '76 carbs.  

Pattonrd, I don't think you can vapour blast an engine in the frame.  It really needs to be torn apart to be done properly.  It's amazing how much dirt gets into the cooling ports on the barrels and head.  

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58