Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Crankshaft Assembly Question 18 Mar 2023 21:47 #881745

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 630
At 8:52 minutes into the Millyard crankshaft video (link below), he drills a hole in the crank and inserts a pin. 
Is that step normally performed as Kawasaki pressed cranks are professionally welded?

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crankshaft Assembly Question 18 Mar 2023 22:45 #881747

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
AFAIK, Kawasaki didn´t insert any location pins or welded roller bearing cranks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 01:51 #881748

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459
99% of factory roller bearing cranks are just pressed.
Performance roller cranks are either welded, pinned or both.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 06:20 #881757

• daveo
  • Premium Member

99% of factory roller bearing cranks are just pressed.
Performance roller cranks are either welded, pinned or both.

Are the processes shown in the Millyard video typically followed when a "factory roller bearing crank" is professionally welded?

Is such a welded crank then considered a "performance roller crank", or are additional steps necessary?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 06:34 #881760

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2051
The term, performance roller crank, is not used around here, so there may be a definition I am not aware of. At any rate, there several performance upgrades commonly done on roller bearing cranks, depending on the owner’s budget and intended use.
I think a majority go for indexing, trueing and welding. That insures that the crank is straight, that the throws are the correct number of degrees apart and then it is all welded together.
A race bike may also have the crankshaft lightened, have special rods installed. APE even offered a knife edge option that was a real work of art.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 07:08 #881768

• daveo
  • Premium Member

The term, performance roller crank, is not used around here, so there may be a definition I am not aware of. At any rate, there several performance upgrades commonly done on roller bearing cranks, depending on the owner’s budget and intended use.
I think a majority go for indexing, trueing and welding. That insures that the crank is straight, that the throws are the correct number of degrees apart and then it is all welded together.
A race bike may also have the crankshaft lightened, have special rods installed. APE even offered a knife edge option that was a real work of art.

With today's exorbitant cost of shipping excluded, what $hould a person expect to pay for a J-model or ZX1100A crankshaft professionally welded?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 07:52 #881770

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459

The term, performance roller crank, is not used around here, so there may be a definition I am not aware of.

No! 
It's just another term for a roller crank that's been indexed and welded to resist twisting when used in "performance" applications and that can mean anything from a hopped up streetbike to an all out drag bike.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 09:07 #881773

• daveo
  • Premium Member

The term, performance roller crank, is not used around here, so there may be a definition I am not aware of.

No! 
It's just another term for a roller crank that's been indexed and welded to resist twisting when used in "performance" applications and that can mean anything from a hopped up streetbike to an all out drag bike.

Hey now...that was a profundity from our fellow KZ rider who hails from Cypress, TX and was born 11 Feb, 2021 according to one current forum profile.

BTW, I very-much enjoy reading TexasKZ's posts, regardless his claim of being a two year old.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 14:24 #881792

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 385

With today's exorbitant cost of shipping excluded, what $hould a person expect to pay for a J-model or ZX1100A crankshaft professionally welded?

On the APE web site they list #LC808 "complete rebuild and welding 4 cyl roller cranks" from $1000

www.racecranks.com/

I guess it depends on whom is doing the work, some guys will be cheaper if it is just welding and no further upgrades. I would think a straight weld job may start at the $300 range.
Used welded cranks on Ebay are usually going for about $400.

Last edit: by Injected.

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 16:04 #881796

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
John Pearson (Pearson Racing) in Dayton Ohio

Stan Gardner (in Maine?)

These are the crank guys recommended by the racers on GSR.  I've never heard a bad thing about them.  From what I have heard, no personal experience, Falcon is not the place to send a crank anymore.  

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 16:42 #881800

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Falicon WAS great back in the day  Full superlite crank maxed out was  500 Bucks.  Welding locally in Detroit  was 100 Bucks
I havent heard anthing positive about Falicon  since  owner sold out .
Pick one of the above Ed mentions  or APE

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Crankshaft Assembly Question 19 Mar 2023 16:46 #881801

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
The corporation that also owns Wiseco also bought Falicon years ago. They moved all the equipment from Clearwater to Ohio the last I heard. That same corporation also bought JE Pistons and Carrillo!!! I don't think they ever opened up Falicon again. I believe Dover Diversified was the name of that large corporation. When Tom Falicon owned it they did excellent work. After the new owners took it over they ran it into the ground. Last I heard Tom Falicon bought a Christmas tree farm complete with its own narrow gauge railroad on the property!!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, daveo, Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.