Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 27 Nov 2020 09:23 #839054

• bluezbike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Just curious why the bolt is stainless. Can you upload a picture of the other bolts? Is it a bolt that was put in....or a stud which then receives a nut to hold the exhaust? It is also worth knowing if it is a 6mm or 8mm diameter item. There are three possible answers as to why it is stuck: 1- it is cross threaded...2- red threadlocker was used which really needs heat to release....3- corrosion especially between stainless and aluminum even more especially if you live near the ocean !!!! Another thing - if you are trying to weld a nut onto this piece of stainless you need to use a special filler rod for stainless, regular steel filler rod will NOT work....are you using TIG or MIG? Knowing more information may help. All other replies are very good ideas, I always use Anders's suggestion of acetone/ATF, this has never failed for me. Good luck....and pictures please.
79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bluezbike.

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 27 Nov 2020 09:30 #839056

• F64
  • Away
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 353
just brainstorming
cut a slot in the stud
thread a nut on the stud around the slot to prevent the stud from splitting
and use a slotted impact driver on the stud.

you may also be able to jam a slotted bit in the slot to wedge the bolt threads apart.
then try to unscrew the nut...the wedge may prevent the nut from slipping off of the stud
allowing you to unscrew the stud with a socket
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 29 Nov 2020 12:32 #839197

• Jasper.R
  • Jasper.R's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thank you all again for all the help. Sadly still not there, but I feel like we're getting closer - we have to, each attempt I do I break off part of the stud so I'm getting scarily close to the head now. :-P

davido wrote: If you're going to buy a new vice grip, go to a good tool shop and spend the extra money. Gunters and Meuser.or somewhere like that. I think Bouwmaat also has decent ones ,if you have a card. Whatever you do, don't go to Praxis or Gamma.
For penetrating oil,there are loads available in Holland and they all do pretty much the same thing (cue outrage!). I think the brand is less important than the time you spend dousing the area. Patience is your friend here. Good luck.

Thanks, I actually couldn't find a decent one yet so next up I'll find a good toolshop for some quality vice grips. If not for now, it'll come in useful later on somewhere down the line.

bluezbike wrote: Just curious why the bolt is stainless. Can you upload a picture of the other bolts? Is it a bolt that was put in....or a stud which then receives a nut to hold the exhaust? It is also worth knowing if it is a 6mm or 8mm diameter item. There are three possible answers as to why it is stuck: 1- it is cross threaded...2- red threadlocker was used which really needs heat to release....3- corrosion especially between stainless and aluminum even more especially if you live near the ocean !!!! Another thing - if you are trying to weld a nut onto this piece of stainless you need to use a special filler rod for stainless, regular steel filler rod will NOT work....are you using TIG or MIG? Knowing more information may help. All other replies are very good ideas, I always use Anders's suggestion of acetone/ATF, this has never failed for me. Good luck....and pictures please.

I was wrong in my last post mentioning the stainless steel. I foolishly tried to weld on a stainless nut. I went and purchased a new set of steel 6m nuts, sandblasted them and welded them on (in my last attempt). Even turning it for the very least causes it to break off immidiately.

I don't think there is thread locker on there, as the stud on the other end actually came loose very easily while taking off the nut, so at least I am sure they can somehow come off. ;-)

I am welding with MIG!

F64 wrote: just brainstorming
cut a slot in the stud
thread a nut on the stud around the slot to prevent the stud from splitting
and use a slotted impact driver on the stud.

you may also be able to jam a slotted bit in the slot to wedge the bolt threads apart.
then try to unscrew the nut...the wedge may prevent the nut from slipping off of the stud
allowing you to unscrew the stud with a socket

I am blown away by how easy yet effective this sounds, great idea. I will soak it for a few days, then get a slot cut in there, put a nut on there and use my impact tool. Thanks a bunch, I'll report back!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: F64

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 06 Dec 2020 13:10 #839482

• Jasper.R
  • User
I have (sadly) given up and decided to call in the big guns. A professional welder who was recommended by my local bike shop will do an attempt at taking out the stud next Tuesday. Attached you can find three photos of the current state of the stud. Will update you later on!
Attachments:

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 06 Dec 2020 13:27 #839483

• 73z1
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103
Piece of cake, welding heats stud, remove when hot.

Last edit: by 73z1.

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 06 Dec 2020 15:08 #839489

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Looks like you have plenty of stud left on there. Run a die down it to get some more thread going and lock two nuts on it. If you,re gentle enough, you should be ok. You dont want to snap it off. Though you have the same risk with welding.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Last edit: by davido.

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 06 Dec 2020 16:02 #839490

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
I'd heat the stud red hot a couple of times and let it cool. Keep the threads constantly wet with some PB Blaster spray or similar. NO WD-40. Hit the end of the stud with a hammer too every so often. Vice Grips should be able to get a good grip on that thing, although I'd pull the exhaust completely off before doing anything else since it's just getting in the way.

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 06 Dec 2020 16:11 #839491

• krazee1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 197

Nessism wrote: I'd heat the stud red hot a couple of times and let it cool. Keep the threads constantly wet with some PB Blaster spray or similar. NO WD-40. Hit the end of the stud with a hammer too every so often. Vice Grips should be able to get a good grip on that thing, although I'd pull the exhaust completely off before doing anything else since it's just getting in the way.

THIS, is good advice!

IMHO Mike
Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
1974 Z1
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900B pile O parts
1980 KZ750E
1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 06 Dec 2020 16:34 #839494

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1865
I respect anyone’s limit to their mechanical ability and only they know when it’s best to ask for help, but I think you tossed in the towel a little soon. I think Nessism’s process would have worked. Davido also had a good idea, but if I were to try a die I would use a left hand thread. Good luck I hope you succeed.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 09 Dec 2020 05:31 #839638

• Jasper.R
  • User
Thanks again for all the replies. In the end I did bring it away and got it back this morning. Mind you, these guys are the experts according to the local bike shops. They tried with welding but it would not move, so they ended up drilling the whole stud out in steps of 0.5mm. And after all it was indeed locked in there with threadlock, unlike the other studs.

So I'm very happy I had them do it. :-)

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 09 Dec 2020 05:42 #839639

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2074
I am glad it worked out well. I wonder what in the world made somebody think that permanent thread lock was a good idea there?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Exhaust stud stuck, no thread left to put two nuts on 09 Dec 2020 07:07 #839641

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1865
Good news. And thank you for the update. So many posts never get closure. Good luck moving forward
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.