Engine keeps leaking oil

More
30 Aug 2020 09:56 #834000 by krazee1
Replied by krazee1 on topic Engine keeps leaking oil

daveo wrote: As long as we're on this subject, what is the best method to deal with the four outer o-ring recess when using a one-piece head gasket?

My MTC1135 upgrade was assembled with two piece Cometic head gaskets and the typical associated o-rings. There are no oil-leak issues to date, which I attribute mostly to having APE HD cylinder studs with nuts torqued at 42 foot lbs, and the engine having lower compression than the one being discussed here.

The Z1/KZ motors do not have O ring recesses on the 4 corner studs, there is just a squash washer built into the head gasket. You definitely would not want to fill the recesses with silicone if you sere using a one piece head gasket on a J motor.

Mike

:blink:

Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
1974 Z1
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900B pile O parts
1980 KZ750E
1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2020 10:51 #834003 by Funtimes
Replied by Funtimes on topic Engine keeps leaking oil
I don't have a J motor . I was talking about the big O rings that fit in a groove and go over the cylinder sleeves at bottom where sleeves go into the cases .

More
30 Aug 2020 11:38 #834004 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine keeps leaking oil

krazee1 wrote:

daveo wrote: As long as we're on this subject, what is the best method to deal with the four outer o-ring recess when using a one-piece head gasket?

My MTC1135 upgrade was assembled with two piece Cometic head gaskets and the typical associated o-rings. There are no oil-leak issues to date, which I attribute mostly to having APE HD cylinder studs with nuts torqued at 42 foot lbs, and the engine having lower compression than the one being discussed here.

The Z1/KZ motors do not have O ring recesses on the 4 corner studs, there is just a squash washer built into the head gasket. You definitely would not want to fill the recesses with silicone if you sere using a one piece head gasket on a J motor.

Mike

Some wires getting crossed by some here..
The O ring recess to be filled with RTV is the cam tunnel one, not those corner ones.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
30 Aug 2020 11:44 #834005 by Funtimes
I'm not sure what you mean by the corner O rings . My engine builder used the 2 piece fiber head gaskets with the O ring made for the timing chain area . Not sure why he chose to do that . I already had the 1 piece fiber head gasket , he didn't want to use it .

More
30 Aug 2020 11:59 #834006 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine keeps leaking oil

Funtimes wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by the corner O rings . My engine builder used the 2 piece fiber head gaskets with the O ring made for the timing chain area . Not sure why he chose to do that . I already had the 1 piece fiber head gasket , he didn't want to use it .

The pic above is of a later J/GPZ engine and they have O rings on each of the corner studs which carry oil.
The earlier kickstart engines don't have them.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
30 Aug 2020 12:03 #834007 by Funtimes
Yeah , I don't have an J engine. They are 998cc block, mine was stamped 1015cc , it's bored to 1075cc now .

More
30 Aug 2020 13:59 - 30 Aug 2020 14:07 #834018 by krazee1
Replied by krazee1 on topic Engine keeps leaking oil

zed1015 wrote:

krazee1 wrote:

Many "wires getting crossed" for sure, I wasn't trying to help in that regard but maybe my wording wasn't clear. I didn't know which engine Funtimes was referring to, but after the picture of the J model cylinder I wanted to be sure that filling the recess (cam tunnel O ring) with silicone didn't carry over to filling the O ring recesses on the corner studs, because they are in fact oil passages. Dragbike Mike asked if the cylinder was O ringed ON TOP , referring to the combustion chamber, not referring to the O rings around the cylinder sleeves on the bottom.
I think retorquing the cylinder head will solve the original question!
Mike

Mike

Mike

Some wires getting crossed by some here..
The O ring recess to be filled with RTV is the cam tunnel one, not those corner ones.

Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
1974 Z1
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900B pile O parts
1980 KZ750E
1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)
Last edit: 30 Aug 2020 14:07 by krazee1.

More
30 Aug 2020 17:18 #834031 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Engine keeps leaking oil
Didn't mean to cross wires, or create confusion with my post. Nor was it my intention to hijack the subject matter of the original post.
However, I do believe this is an opportune time to learn how one-piece head gaskets are effectively used on J-engines with the o-ring recesses at the four oil passages.

All one-piece head gaskets I found available for the J-motor do not have outer holes sized large enough to accommodate the four 92055-1148 oil passage o-rings...as the two-piece gaskets do have.
That means either the o-rings are simply left out of the installation, or they are to be used beneath the gasket, which IMO would fail to provide an effective seal.

IMO, the recesses need to be filled/sealed with something, and have the oil passage bore ID extended through it.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
31 Aug 2020 05:02 #834054 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Engine keeps leaking oil

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Retorquing of the headbolts after motor is run is a normal procedure
Dave

I agree with Dave. The head should be torqued after running for a short time to compensate for gasket seating after some heat cycles. I've witnessed considerable torque falloff on some engines that would have led to an oil leak if not retorqued.

More
01 Sep 2020 13:34 #834165 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Engine keeps leaking oil
Surprised nobody's mentioned the currently available MLS (multi-layer steel) head gaskets. No o-rings, and a great seal with the proper deck surfaces.

www.z1enterprises.com/gasket-head-fiber-...rqv4YuBoCH2MQAvD_BwE

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R