Engine keeps leaking oil

More
26 Aug 2020 10:54 #833731 by Funtimes
Engine keeps leaking oil was created by Funtimes
Newly built 1075 12.5;1 ,ported head , oversize intake&exhaust valves. Andrews 3x cams. On going oil leak.. Engine was built by reputable 45 year engine buider , drag racer. He is 75 now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
26 Aug 2020 10:57 #833733 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Engine keeps leaking oil
Where did the oil leak , some pics of the leaking area?

More
30 Aug 2020 06:30 #833979 by Funtimes
Replied by Funtimes on topic Engine keeps leaking oil
Hello , looks like leak is on front side of engine. Oil shows up on cylinder block at corner of number 1 pistons. Now it smokes when first started , it has new Viton valve seals installed .

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Aug 2020 06:39 #833980 by Dragbike_Mike
Replied by Dragbike_Mike on topic Engine keeps leaking oil
Was a solid copper head gasket used in the engine build? And, if so, were the tops of the cylinders O-ringed? You may want to retorque the head, also. Just thinking out loud here...

Mike

Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

More
30 Aug 2020 06:49 #833982 by Funtimes
The original build was with a copper gasket. The cylinder was o ringed . Top of engine was torn down and put back with fiber gasket. Still leaks oil. Had to use a 0.80 base gasket for piston to valve clearance , it has fiber gaskets on each side. Engine builder said he torqued head bolts to 32#. Thanks for your reply .

More
30 Aug 2020 07:23 #833987 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine keeps leaking oil
You should use a one piece head gasket ( if copper then spray coat with loctite 3020 ) ,fill the cam tunnel o ring groove with rtv, fit HD cylinder studs and torque to 42ft/lb.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
30 Aug 2020 07:26 #833988 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Engine keeps leaking oil
Retorquing of the headbolts after motor is run is a normal procedure
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
30 Aug 2020 07:36 #833989 by Funtimes
Hello , thanks for your reply. My engine builder used the 2 piece head gasket with o ring. He said he has never torqued one more than 35 #. It has the App studs . It's a 1075. 12.5:1 pistons. Ported head , oversize intake & exhaust valves , Andrews 3x cams . Has a 0.80 base gasket .

More
30 Aug 2020 08:40 #833992 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine keeps leaking oil

Funtimes wrote: Hello , thanks for your reply. My engine builder used the 2 piece head gasket with o ring. He said he has never torqued one more than 35 #. It has the App studs . It's a 1075. 12.5:1 pistons. Ported head , oversize intake & exhaust valves , Andrews 3x cams . Has a 0.80 base gasket .

You can go to 32 ft/lb on stock studs.
For APE HD ones go to 42 ft/lbs.
Junk the 2 piece gasket and fit a one piece with RTV filled groove.
The leak is most likely from the cam tunnel which is one of the main reasons a one piece gasket is now so popular.
You will rarely if ever see anyone using a two piece ,especially in performance applications.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
30 Aug 2020 09:15 #833995 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Engine keeps leaking oil
As long as we're on this subject, what is the best method to deal with the four outer o-ring recess when using a one-piece head gasket?

My MTC1135 upgrade was assembled with two piece Cometic head gaskets and the typical associated o-rings. There are no oil-leak issues to date, which I attribute mostly to having APE HD cylinder studs with nuts torqued at 42 foot lbs, and the engine having lower compression than the one being discussed here.

:blink:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

More
30 Aug 2020 09:32 #833997 by Funtimes
Thanks for the great advice. Not sure why my engine builder wanted the 2 piece gaskets. He is 75 and old school I guess. He has been building these since 1974 and drag raced them til about 5 years ago. He has (2) 74 a 75 and a kz900. The 75 is turbo and he built all of them. He also has a ZX 10 and a ZX14 . Right now I'm suppose to take my bike To Blake Gann , Ganns custom speed shop in Stoneville NC. His son Shawn was a well known pro stock racer until sadly taking his life few months ago . Blake will hopefully be able to solve the problem but I will gladly mention your imput. Thanks for helping .

More
30 Aug 2020 09:43 #833998 by Funtimes
I'm not an engine builder but if you're talking about the one rings that go around the sleeves at bottom of cylinders , my engine builder took a lil spoon looking tool and slowly worked them into place .