Clarification On A Couple Of Issues

More
20 Nov 2019 07:40 #814236 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Clarification On A Couple Of Issues
It looks to me that Joe at Pit Stop performance puts the base gasket on dry, yet literally glues the top end together. It also looked to me when I was trying to scrape that cylinder base gasket from hell off of my J motor that it was glued on at the factory. There are still tiny, thin pieces stuck to my engine block. I assembled it with the base gasket dry, and have seen no evidence of any leakage from the base gasket. The overpriced oval o-rings is a different story. :S

Attachment not found

Joe's top end assembly procedure:

www.pitstopperformance.com/top-end-assembly/

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2019 07:43 - 20 Nov 2019 07:58 #814237 by old_kaw

zed1015 wrote: In 40 years of building these engines I have never used any sealer around those studs and have never had an issue with oil leaks or weepage of any kind.
This is on both road and race engines.

I think they mean as a thread sealer on the stud threads where they thread into the case, since the studs are exposed in the cooling fin area or the threads are open to engine oil internally.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Last edit: 20 Nov 2019 07:58 by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

More
20 Nov 2019 08:22 #814242 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Clarification On A Couple Of Issues

old_kaw wrote:

zed1015 wrote: In 40 years of building these engines I have never used any sealer around those studs and have never had an issue with oil leaks or weepage of any kind.
This is on both road and race engines.

I think they mean as a thread sealer on the stud threads where they thread into the case, since the studs are exposed in the cooling fin area or the threads are open to engine oil internally.

I do use a spot of thread lock on the main studs but that's it.
No sealer and all those studs on the 900/1000's are in dry blind holes.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
20 Nov 2019 08:23 - 20 Nov 2019 08:25 #814243 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Clarification On A Couple Of Issues

old_kaw wrote: ...have seen no evidence of any leakage from the base gasket. The overpriced oval o-rings is a different story. :S

After dealing with that issue twice, APE HD cylinder studs and nuts (40ft.lbs torque) eradicated the problem. IMO the old original cyl. studs lose strength and resistance to stretch over time and repeated use.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 20 Nov 2019 08:25 by daveo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw, Rick H.

More
20 Nov 2019 13:27 - 20 Nov 2019 14:24 #814247 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clarification On A Couple Of Issues

daveo wrote:

old_kaw wrote: ...have seen no evidence of any leakage from the base gasket. The overpriced oval o-rings is a different story. :S

After dealing with that issue twice, APE HD cylinder studs and nuts (40ft.lbs torque) eradicated the problem. IMO the old original cyl. studs lose strength and resistance to stretch over time and repeated use

40 ft lbs sounds kind of high. Unless I'm missing something (a real possibility) the Kawasaki Service Manual gives a lower figure. Ed

Attachment 00003a.JPG not found

Attachment 00003b.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Nov 2019 14:24 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Nov 2019 15:07 #814258 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Clarification On A Couple Of Issues
40 PSI is the spec for the APE studs. That's what I have now. With the stock studs I'd cringe each time I'd torque them down even at the factory settings. The last thing I wanted was to torque one down and hear the dreaded SNAP. :pinch: This time around I'll use thread locker on them. B)
Steve

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
20 Nov 2019 16:00 #814261 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Clarification On A Couple Of Issues
I've snapped a crank bolt and a couple of case bolts but never a stud. The spec for Z1 is 25 ft lbs. It was increased to 29 ft lbs for KZ 1000 but I think the studs are the same.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
20 Nov 2019 23:17 #814278 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Clarification On A Couple Of Issues

650ed wrote:

daveo wrote:

After dealing with that issue twice, APE HD cylinder studs and nuts (40ft.lbs torque) eradicated the problem. IMO the old original cyl. studs lose strength and resistance to stretch over time and repeated use
[/i].

40 ft lbs sounds kind of high. Unless I'm missing something (a real possibility) the Kawasaki Service Manual gives a lower figure. Ed

To look at stock and APE cyl. studs set next to one another, it might be assumed that 40ft. lbs. would be the minimum torque they could handle. :whistle:
Never measured shaft diameters when comparing them, but it is obvious to the eye that APE studs have significantly more girth. With that in-mind and without a second thought, I bored the tapers out of the oil passage holes in my last two cyl. blocks unscientifically to compensate for the additional space the APE's take up in there.

:)

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

More
21 Nov 2019 00:45 #814281 by old_kaw

zed1015 wrote: I think they mean as a thread sealer on the stud threads where they thread into the case, since the studs are exposed in the cooling fin area or the threads are open to engine oil internally.

I do use a spot of thread lock on the main studs but that's it.
No sealer and all those studs on the 900/1000's are in dry blind holes.[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with using loctite. If there is no chance of leakage, there is no need to seal them. I am assuming the reason KHI would specify sealing the studs, if there were a chance of leakage.
As previously stated, everyone has their own procedures. We used to coat SBC intake and exhaust gaskets with grease at a shop I worked at. The boss specified it, and threw a fit if you didn't do it right. :woohoo: Much easier to deal with if the need to go back in arises.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

More
21 Nov 2019 00:51 - 21 Nov 2019 00:51 #814282 by old_kaw

daveo wrote: After dealing with that issue twice, APE HD cylinder studs and nuts (40ft.lbs torque) eradicated the problem. IMO the old original cyl. studs lose strength and resistance to stretch over time and repeated use.

I totally agree. After 4o + years of rebuilds and re-torquing, those studs have got to be stretched beyond any maximum value. At almost $160 for the sets of APE studs and nuts, it is a moderately substantial investment.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Last edit: 21 Nov 2019 00:51 by old_kaw.

More
21 Nov 2019 01:17 #814283 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Clarification On A Couple Of Issues
You are safe to go to 32lbs on the stock studs and 42lbs on the HD ones..
Kawa increased the factory torque early on from 25lb to 29lb because of gasket leakage.
Anyone with an old manual should ignore the 25lb figure and use 29lb .

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
21 Nov 2019 10:35 #814307 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Clarification On A Couple Of Issues
APE specifically states to use 42ftlbs with their heavy duty studs. They are super strong, the fail-point then becomes the threads in the crankcases.