• lakshan
  • lakshan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi Rick,

Yes your choke description is what I expect, but what's happening for me is:

Full Choke -> revs around 2k rpm
1/2 Choke -> quick spike to 6k rpm, hangs there, doesn't come down

Now when I did this, choke was full on for a few minutes so maybe I didn't try closing it fast enough?

Aside from that, carb holders are ordered and a couple of other gaskets I wanted to get as well. So I'll be waiting to put all this in place before starting her up again.
'77 KZ650B1 in progress...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by lakshan.

Starting issues! Need help diagnosing KZ650B1 19 May 2020 12:53 #826094

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
If you are at half choke and it's at 6 grand then most certainly something isn't right that's for sure. Initially I start mine and immediately push the choke off a bit so it idles down to about 2K, but my engine doesn't increase RPM when I do this. In fact if I go too far too fast it will die.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: lakshan

Starting issues! Need help diagnosing KZ650B1 19 May 2020 13:59 #826104

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
I just have to ask. Are you pulling the choke lever UP for cold start and then pushing it DOWN as the engine warms up?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Starting issues! Need help diagnosing KZ650B1 20 May 2020 10:10 #826150

• lakshan
  • User

TexasKZ wrote: I just have to ask. Are you pulling the choke lever UP for cold start and then pushing it DOWN as the engine warms up?

That's right, I'm starting it with the choke lever at the highest point. Then when I tried to slowly bring it down, I notice the revs increase quickly and hang.

Starting issues! Need help diagnosing KZ650B1 20 May 2020 14:00 #826164

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Hm, try to turn out the idle knob so the throttle sliders are fully close.

Starting issues! Need help diagnosing KZ650B1 30 May 2020 20:03 #826981

• lakshan
  • User
Hey guys, I have made pretty good progress today

I installed new OEM Carb Holders and I double checked my float heights before installing the carbs back on. Using the Morgan Carbtune I eventually got my carbs synced and idle to be normal ~1k ! My choke also works properly, I am able to fully close the choke and the revs come down as expected ! Woo hoo! She also starts up every time I tried today, safe to say all my ignition timing/fouled plugs problem is gone :)

Where I am now is my idle is good, but when I blip the throttle it is slow to return to idle. I know this indicates a lean condition in most cases. It hung really badly earlier today because I reset my fuel mix screws to only 1 turn out. Then I gradually took it out to 3.5 turns total. I had a lot of improvement on the hang issue, but it still is not as quick as I feel is normal to return to idle.

I know the general rule I keep reading is that if I have to do more than 3 turns out, I should increase the jet size. My thought is to try 4 turns out tomorrow and see how well I can get it.

1. Does anyone run as much as 4 turns out and feel like it's okay?

Over the period of testing and working on the bike today, it did get very hot at times when the condition was too lean. I probably had it standing and running for 10-15 min while I was diagnosing and testing. Just about half hour ago I finally got things to run reasonably but that means my bike was stationary and running for a bit.

2. Was my bike getting very hot and the rebreather smoking because it's stationary and needs to be ridden to sufficiently keep things cool and not smoky? If the smoke is not from staying idle, what does it indicate?

Thanks in advance for your help, I got thus far with this forum and I'm very appreciative!

Last edit: by lakshan.

Starting issues! Need help diagnosing KZ650B1 31 May 2020 14:20 #827025

• lakshan
  • User
Ended up going with 4 turns out with the fuel mix screw this afternoon. The return to idle much improved. I took it out for a ride :)

I just stayed within the neighborhood since I don't have my plates yet. Also don't wanna get up to street speeds without new tires. I notice that between 1.5-2.5k there is some unevenness with the throttle, feels like a I get little waves of power rather than a smooth stream. Above this rpm range until about 3.5k seems to pull nicely without any wierdness. I'm going to do another round of synchronization later to see if I can get rid of this. But otherwise seems like it's finally working ! Thanks everyone for your help.

Starting issues! Need help diagnosing KZ650B1 31 May 2020 15:59 #827034

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Really need to get at least one box fan on the motor when running and sitting..... I use two and start off on low then go to med high as needed.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Starting issues! Need help diagnosing KZ650B1 31 May 2020 17:43 #827043

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843

KZB2 650 wrote: Really need to get at least one box fan on the motor when running and sitting..... I use two and start off on low then go to med high as needed.

Great point. I forget to make that recommendation. Thanks for picking up my slack. I have a couple of blower assembly’s from old furnaces that work great to keep the engine cool while doing adjustments on the main stand.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.