Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 17 May 2019 16:40 #804060

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
Also, be very sure that the parts go in the exact order they are pictured in Scirocco's post.
O-ring
Metal washer
Spring
Jet screw

Some parts diagrams may show a really small aluminum cap that looks a bit like a freeze plug. You may happily ignore those. Kawasaki had to install those on U.S. market bikes to prevent "tampering."
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: goatfarming

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 17 May 2019 16:52 #804062

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I don't think there is any disagreement about the cam timing anymore.

Sprocket arrow pointing at the deck surface is the original factory timing, and is specified in the manual.

Sprocket arrow pointing up is one tooth advanced and Nebr_Rex says this is good... better than original factory timing.

Sprocket arrow pointing down one tooth is retarded and is not recommended by anyone.

And yes... I agree, KZR should get the donation. None of this discussion would have been possible without it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: goatfarming

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 18 May 2019 03:21 #804071

• goatfarming
  • goatfarming's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
First of all thank you kindly from the bottom of my heart for all the help on this thread, truly appreciated.

I think that i have messed up the pilot screw for sure and forgot about the washer and o ring , luckily i had 2 brand new rep kits laying around so i will try changing this today and hopefully it will run,

And regarding the donation i completely agree . that is why i just donated 100$ to the kzrider.com forum

Picture proof attached
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Scirocco

Last edit: by goatfarming.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 18 May 2019 03:26 #804072

• goatfarming
  • User
Btw could anyone tell me, other then the components already explained in the picture above here, what that aluminum disk, the other2 o rings are for ? People seem really good with photo editing and showing exact what and where the parts go. Now i might have done this i have a slight memory problem at time lol, but just to make sure
Attachments:

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 18 May 2019 08:55 #804081

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The disk is an anti-tamper device. It plugs the hole of the mixture screw. It should run fine with it left out.

A carb diagram might show where the orings go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 18 May 2019 16:59 #804115

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
I think one oring goes on the float bowl drain screw, and the other goes in the plastic cap that goes on the pilot jet. As mentioned, the aluminum plug goes in the trash.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...-g1/carburetor-parts
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 18 May 2019 17:13 #804116

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
The aluminum plug keeps water from accumulating on top of the pilot screws, causing a bunch of corrosion.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 19 May 2019 09:06 #804160

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

loudhvx wrote: The disk is an anti-tamper device. It plugs the hole of the mixture screw. It should run fine with it left out.

Correct, the plugs are to prevent tampering with the carbs after delivery to keep the emissions within specs, or least during warranty period. I assume that period has expired. :-) Much the same way the GM quadrajunk carbs had plugs, then the later plastic caps over the adjustment screws. I pried and drilled out many of them when working in various repair shops. I still have the long flexible screwdriver for adjusting the mixture.

Attachment not found

With so many of our great members posting great, and accurate advice, service info and pics etc, I would suggest that you consider making the $100.00 "reward" a donation to kzrider to help Bill pay server the expenses involved with the site. Ads fee's and donations do not equal the the expenses involved. :

Also when posting pics, you should insert your pics into your post. It makes your post easier to keep reading while scrolling through your pics. Just sayin. :S :
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old greek

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 19 May 2019 11:34 #804177

• goatfarming
  • User

old_kaw wrote:

loudhvx wrote: The disk is an anti-tamper device. It plugs the hole of the mixture screw. It should run fine with it left out.

Correct, the plugs are to prevent tampering with the carbs after delivery to keep the emissions within specs, or least during warranty period. I assume that period has expired. :-) Much the same way the GM quadrajunk carbs had plugs, then the later plastic caps over the adjustment screws. I pried and drilled out many of them when working in various repair shops. I still have the long flexible screwdriver for adjusting the mixture.

Attachment not found

With so many of our great members posting great, and accurate advice, service info and pics etc, I would suggest that you consider making the $100.00 "reward" a donation to kzrider to help Bill pay server the expenses involved with the site. Ads fee's and donations do not equal the the expenses involved. :

Also when posting pics, you should insert your pics into your post. It makes you r post easier to keep reading while scrolling through your pics. Just sayin. :S :

I did post a picture and donated 100$ to kzrider, so thanks again for all the help and the forum. i will try tomorrow and see if the jet screw thing is whats messing with me now.

But the plastic cap over the jet needle is supposed to be taken off right that is just for protection ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, old_kaw

Last edit: by goatfarming.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 19 May 2019 17:44 #804201

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
Good man! you get EXTRA brownie points for donating to the site. Thank you! ( I didn't see the post where sorrocco beat me to it. )

In order to make your pics show in line with your post, you need to have the cursor where you want the pic, then click "insert" under the attached files when posting a comment. If you don'r insert them, they show up as small icons at the bottom of your comment. I notice on your other comments the pics are not inserted, just little icons at the bottom of the comment.

I am not sure what plastic cap you are refering to. Got a pic?

BTW< I have my carbs off right now, installing the #125 "racing jets" because my new SS header is really turning blue. I don't want to burn up anything with the sustained speeds and lean mixture.

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 19 May 2019 19:15 #804208

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Plastic cap.

Are they Keihin carbs ? And is that cap over the pilot jet? Is it a white or creamy coloured plastic cap with an o ring on one end?

If so then then it is very necessary. Bike will run like crsp or not at all without it.

If not as described above then please disregard this post.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 20 May 2019 03:53 #804214

• goatfarming
  • User
I got slightly unsure about which o-rin to use at the end of the pilot screw the tiny one or the big one ?

Attachments: