Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 14 May 2019 18:44 #803893

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
Looks like I'm going to have to take some pics tomorrow to straighten you folks out.
The OP has already posted a video of it running. It is in some sort of bobber. So who know
which engine it is. It is post 1980 with a hyvo chain. Some countries received a KZ400 after
1980. I have never seen a hybrid engine and I doubt I ever will. The early KZ400 has the
head studs in a different position than the late KZ400 and KZ440. The late KZ400 [ 1978'79 ]
is just like a KZ440 except for the cam chain pre 1980 KZ400 is roller, has a kick starter and
smaller bore.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 14 May 2019 18:52 #803894

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
So is the OP in the U.S.?
And do the post 1980 Kz400's have a hyvo chain?

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 15 May 2019 07:05 #803904

• goatfarming
  • goatfarming's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
First off all, thanks for everyone that has answered and offered a helping hand i really appreciate it.

The bike was originally from Sweden, i dont know where he got the bike from if it was imported or not, but the frame number and everything is original, i have just cut the frame a bit and stripped the original parts and changed them, it was completely original and still is engine etc frame number / serial number everything checks out

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 15 May 2019 07:17 #803907

• goatfarming
  • User
i have just made some adjustments to the frame, it was totally original before. i've built it into a bobber, but it is the same frame etc i have have just made some adjustment around the seat, changed tank, handlebar , electronic box etc

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 15 May 2019 07:20 #803908

• goatfarming
  • User

loudhvx wrote: So is the OP in the U.S.?
And do the post 1980 Kz400's have a hyvo chain?

Im in Norway, but like i mentioned i picked the bike up in sweden, it was totally original as far as i know and could tell from pictures, but when you register it back and forth the year can be hard to pinpoint so i can be that it is in fact a 1979 model like you say, and that the pink slip just says 1982 because it was first registered then, i will take some pictures today

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 15 May 2019 07:23 #803909

• goatfarming
  • User

Nessism wrote: This illistration is from the 440 manual but I think it should be same for the 400 (someone correct me if this is wrong). Anyway, this is the end game. 1-4 T aligned on the crank and the arrow on the cam sprocket pointing at the gasket surface.

This is how it looks now that i have put it back together again, but i looked that way before too, because the sprocket only really fits one place in the cam when the bolt holes align they only really fit one way , you cant mount it 180 degrees the other way around, so this is really the only position. i will go out and take the head of again and take some pictures.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 15 May 2019 08:09 #803914

• goatfarming
  • User
So i undid the top cover again to take some pictures for you guys and also made another youtube video just for added info and overview, once again i REALLY appreciate the info and discussion this thread has got going here, and for the first time in weeks a feel hopeful that a solution is around the corner.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 15 May 2019 14:22 #803929

• goatfarming
  • User

goatfarming wrote:

Nessism wrote: This illistration is from the 440 manual but I think it should be same for the 400 (someone correct me if this is wrong). Anyway, this is the end game. 1-4 T aligned on the crank and the arrow on the cam sprocket pointing at the gasket surface.

This is how it looks now that i have put it back together again, but i looked that way before too, because the sprocket only really fits one place in the cam when the bolt holes align they only really fit one way , you cant mount it 180 degrees the other way around, so this is really the only position. i will go out and take the head of again and take some pictures.

I have turned my head and gone a couple rounds again, the only thing i can think of is that on the picture the arrow on the sprocket looks to be 1 teeth down towards the front and not exactly level with the head, i guess this is also a matter of perspective because the whole engine looks a bit tilted, but if you go by the cam notch being exactly 9 O clock then the arrow will face slightly down, this is the only thing i can think of since it runs it just sort of back fires through the left carb a little bit or runs a bit off timing . what do you all think ?

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 15 May 2019 18:00 #803941

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The photos don't show the exact alignment of the arrow, but going by the cam lobes, and assuming the timing advancer is set to the T mark, I would say it's timed correctly.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 15 May 2019 18:52 #803946

• Nebr_Rex
  • User

goatfarming wrote:

You mean the rocker box, it has the rocker arms. The head has the valves.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 15 May 2019 20:09 #803955

• Nebr_Rex
  • User

goatfarming wrote:

goatfarming wrote:

I have turned my head and gone a couple rounds again, the only thing i can think of is that on the picture the arrow on the sprocket looks to be 1 teeth down towards the front and not exactly level with the head, i guess this is also a matter of perspective because the whole engine looks a bit tilted, but if you go by the cam notch being exactly 9 O clock then the arrow will face slightly down, this is the only thing i can think of since it runs it just sort of back fires through the left carb a little bit or runs a bit off timing . what do you all think ?

Okay boys and girls school is now in session.
First forget about that notch, it has no bearing on cam timing. I don't care what that manual says.
The KZ400/440s came in two different engine designs. The early series KZ400 and the Late series KZ400/440.
Very few parts will interchange between the two. One of them is the ignition advancer.
There are some similarities like cam timing. The cam specs are the same for both. And the timing marks are in the same place.
Here is a pic of the cam sprockets. From left to right KZ440, late KZ400 and early KZ400.
The two n the left use the same cam. The two on the right are identical except for the plastic dampner pads and
the scallop on the inside diameter early KZ400 which is needed for installation.
The arrow on the sprocket should be above the surface of the head.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd

Attachments:

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 16 May 2019 05:47 #803962

• goatfarming
  • User

Nebr_Rex wrote:

goatfarming wrote:

goatfarming wrote:

Okay boys and girls school is now in session.
First forget about that notch, it has no bearing on cam timing. I don't care what that manual says.
The KZ400/440s came in two different engine designs. The early series KZ400 and the Late series KZ400/440.
Very few parts will interchange between the two. One of them is the ignition advancer.
There are some similarities like cam timing. The cam specs are the same for both. And the timing marks are in the same place.
Here is a pic of the cam sprockets. From left to right KZ440, late KZ400 and early KZ400.
The two n the left use the same cam. The two on the right are identical except for the plastic dampner pads and
the scallop on the inside diameter early KZ400 which is needed for installation.
The arrow on the sprocket should be above the surface of the head.

So what your saying is that i have a 440 not a 400. if i understand your explanation.

But that brings it back to the fact that i have done the timing correctly but still the timing is off when it runs, you saw my pictures right, you keep saying ignore the notch i got that but as you know the notch will line up at 9 o clock for a reason because the cam only really lines up / fits one way on the sprocket mounting flange holes, so the cam will face approximately 9 o clock when the Timing arrow mark on the sprocket is even with the top. but i got it pay no attention to it, but still.

But are you saying that it should be slightly upwards, i will attach 3 photos of two different positions + the timing crank TDC setting i have it in when adjusting, just tell me which one you think looks more right - since school is in session and all ;)
The back end chain is tight and engaged with the crank for both, the one is exactly paralell with the engine top and the other is slightly upwards - there is one tooth difference between these two pictures.

Again thanks for everyone that has chimed in and offered assistance here
Attachments:

Last edit: by goatfarming.