Cam restoration?

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
08 Mar 2019 13:23 - 08 Mar 2019 15:34 #799950 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Cam restoration?
I just got the cams back last week from Web Camshafts, they are a custom grind, I can post the specs later They cost $430 plus tax and shipping. I cannot speak to their performance yet because they're not even on the bike yet.

Stock compression for these twins is listed at 8.5/1 but when I measured my combustion chamber and stock piston I was at 8.2/1 which is really low. Kawasaki gets by this by having the stock intake cam center at relatively advanced at 100 ATDC with a very small duration.

To address this I have installed high compression forged pistons, decked the head .050", this brings me to 10.6/1 static compression. I will time my new intake cam in around 108-110 to bring the lobe centers to around 110. im going to bench test the cranking compression to see where its at and refine the cams position form there as needed. These new cams have A LOT more lift and duration, and the profile is much more rounded than stock. I think with the other modifications it should make good power.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 15:34 by DoctoRot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, kzsolo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.