Z1 valve seals exploded - why?

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
14 Aug 2018 13:35 - 14 Aug 2018 13:37 #788832 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Z1 valve seals exploded - why?
old_kaw, it could be or not a scissors clamp.
The truth comes with the suspected valve spring and retainer removed to get a closer look to the squezzed valve stem seal or what is left of it.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2018 13:37 by Scirocco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2018 14:03 - 14 Aug 2018 14:19 #788836 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Z1 valve seals exploded - why?

Scirocco wrote: old_kaw, it could be or not a scissors clamp.
The truth comes with the suspected valve spring and retainer removed to get a closer look to the squezzed valve stem seal or what is left of it.

Now there ya go making perfect sense again. I am having trouble with relating the bends in the wire remnants to the seal retainer ring.. being bent in perfect relationship resembling a scissors hose clamp.. The likelihood of a seal retainer ring mangled in that exact configuration, rather than just chewed up.. but some things I see some days, couldn't / wouldn't happen even if I tried.

I'm guessing here, by seeing al lot of the discussion is on valve spring compressors, and the head being already off, I would assume the OP already knows if the valve seal retaining rings is still on the valve guide. (just a wild guess here, since most of the posts on these topics are speculation and guessing games using half of the info through someone else's eyes )

This is my valve spring compressor bought many years ago, and an adapter I made up to fit the Kaw head. Also note, the parts area also covered with rags when not being worked on.

I had to make a few mods to the adapter I made to make it hold the retainer straight while assembling the head. (It's just a slotted piece of 3/4" EMT)

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Aug 2018 14:19 by old_kaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
14 Aug 2018 14:18 - 14 Aug 2018 14:21 #788838 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Z1 valve seals exploded - why?
The scissors clamp ring form can be a product by coincidence and wishful thinking.
All speculative until now....
emy111 will post some facts if the suspected parts are removed.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2018 14:21 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

More
14 Aug 2018 14:27 #788839 by old_kaw

Scirocco wrote: The scissors clamp ring form can be a product by coincidence and wishful thinking.
All speculative until now....
emy111 will post some facts if the suspected parts are removed.

Wishful thinking? um yeah. Wishful to make sense out of this "mystery" wire . While specalating away! lol

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
14 Aug 2018 15:42 #788843 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Z1 valve seals exploded - why?
I too, like the old style original's. For my stuff sits around for 10 yrs. at a time (LOL)
But I am going to install some later tonight. I grease up the valve tips and use a 10mm deep socket to push them on.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
20 Aug 2018 18:54 - 20 Aug 2018 18:55 #789436 by emy111
Replied by emy111 on topic Z1 valve seals exploded - why?
Sorry for the long delay.
I finally pulled the valves out.
Bunch of the valves had broken / shattered inner valve springs as seen in below photo.
And those valves that did.... the valve seals were totally shredded and gone.

My guess is those few times I missed a shift and over-revved, or shifted at 10k rpm racing someone eventually added up... bummer.
I was using APE valve springs.
Figured it’d be fine. Guess not.
I normally just ride around low rpm cruising... but like to rip on it every once in a blue moon.

Oh well...
I’ll rebuild, and take it a bit easier.

Any other thoughts guys.... ?

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Aug 2018 18:55 by emy111.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Aug 2018 19:30 #789437 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Z1 valve seals exploded - why?
Check the valve guides for "Rock". That retainer looks as it needs replaced. :dry:
Steve

More
20 Aug 2018 20:33 - 21 Aug 2018 14:51 #789440 by old_kaw

emy111 wrote: Sorry for the long delay.

My guess is those few times I missed a shift and over-revved, or shifted at 10k rpm racing someone eventually added up... bummer.
I was using APE valve springs.
Figured it’d be fine. Guess not.
I normally just ride around low rpm cruising... but like to rip on it every once in a blue moon

Any other thoughts guys.... ?

Perhaps use OEM parts? All the neato stuff >seems< like an upgrade, and sometimes might even save you a little bit of money.. until you ruin an engine because it all turns into um.. this. and to top it off, they NEVER cover the damages caused by using the super duper stuff. Your loss, their gains.. time and time again.. If you tell them about it, it is ALWAYS something YOU did.. yeah you bought their crap. :-/
An acquaintance dropped a exhaust valve on an 89 evo softail that I repaired years ago . It had the moroso valve retainers.. they broke / shattered and he dropped a valve into the rear jug at high rpms. I repaired it using oem parts. There is a reason the hi-performance stuff says on the package, "for off road use only".

BTW, I have also missed shifts, but NEVER break anything. The reason OEM parts usually cost more is because they are higher quality than the aftermarket stuff.. It also has to make it through the warranty period. For an OEM to use cheap parts, would mean too much warranty work, and a bad reputation in the industry.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Aug 2018 14:51 by old_kaw. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

More
21 Aug 2018 01:08 - 21 Aug 2018 01:22 #789458 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Z1 valve seals exploded - why?
Looks like either the retainers have been hitting the top of the guides , the springs have broken due to persistent over revving or they have been coil bound and then the fragments have destroyed the seals.
If it's due to over revving it wouldn't matter whether the springs were OEM or APE except the OEM would have broke sooner.
You also need to check the guide to retainer clearance with the cam lift you have to make sure that isn't the cause.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 21 Aug 2018 01:22 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
21 Aug 2018 06:58 - 21 Aug 2018 14:46 #789461 by old_kaw

zed1015 wrote: Looks like either the retainers have been hitting the top of the guides , the springs have broken due to persistent over revving or they have been coil bound and then the fragments have destroyed the seals.
If it's due to over revving it wouldn't matter whether the springs were OEM or APE except the OEM would have broke sooner.
You also need to check the guide to retainer clearance with the cam lift you have to make sure that isn't the cause.

The retainer has definitely hit the guide a few times. :-)

As far as OEM part breaking before a aftermarket part, is pure speculation. In the "ours is better" game they probably harden them a little more, which in turn makes the metal brittle and more prone to breakage rather than bending.

I bought some "neato" ARP rod bolts to use on a turbo Buick motor I built using a brand new 109 block ~20 years ago. It had a girdle and all of the neat stuff to make it a "blow proof" motor. Well, when I was torquing down the connecting rods to stock spec, the rod bolts were stretching, rather than clicking my torque wrench. I tried this with 2 different sets of ARP bolts, until I gave up and went back to the OEM SPS brand fasteners. I also had my machinist come over to see for himself, since I bought the rod sets from him.. he even tried it himself, just to make sure I wasn't using my brand new torque wrench wrong. (like I was taught in college?) He took them back and returned them to ARP. My point being hardness levels can vary, and not every part produced is as advertised. Also, it is ultimately up to you, since YOU are the one that will be the one walking home and paying the repair bill.

And during the process.. "Oh LOOK lunch time, let em air cool". lol

They NEVER warranty their stuff. It's ALWAYS something YOU did. I usually measure the success of my repairs in miles rather than minutes.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Aug 2018 14:46 by old_kaw. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

More
21 Aug 2018 16:11 - 21 Aug 2018 16:15 #789499 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Z1 valve seals exploded - why?
See what the guys at APE have to say on the failure. Might want to upgrade to a dyna 2000 ignition with the rev limiter if over-rev was the cause.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 21 Aug 2018 16:15 by VTEC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw