ATP turbo kit. Worth it?

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
26 May 2018 11:12 #784080 by DoctoRot
ATP turbo kit. Worth it? was created by DoctoRot
I have been offered a lightly used complete ATP turbo kit complete with all literature and everything. He wants $900. is it worth it? Is running a turbo good for a daily rider? Should I buy this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2018 12:05 #784082 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic ATP turbo kit. Worth it?
It's a bargain.
I sold just the primary alloy heat shield off one for £350 ( $465) not long ago.
The Rajay on it's own is nearly worth the asking price if it's all good as they are getting rare now, the centre bush is almost unobtainable so you have to be sure to let the turbo spool down before killing the engine or you risk cooking it..
You could flip it for well over double the money easily.
As for daily driver, it all depends on how you ride but you can run the boost as low as you like.
You do really need a built engine for it though.
Minumum of a welded crank , 8-1 compression pistons and HD cylinder studs.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
01 Jun 2018 01:29 - 01 Jun 2018 01:36 #784443 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic ATP turbo kit. Worth it?
A deal has been done! I the guy was nice enough to give it to me even though i didnt have quite what he intially asked for it. I owe him big time. All he wants is progress reports. so it has to happen now! Unfortunately I JUST got my kz1000 back on the road,so I'll ride it a a year or two while while I slowly round up the parts needed for this.

zed1015 wrote: You do really need a built engine for it though.
Minumum of a welded crank , 8-1 compression pistons and HD cylinder studs.

The engine I would like to put this on currently has a welded crank, main bearing support, and HD studs. I initially built the bottom end of doing something crazy later but i wasn't sure until this sweet deal fell into my lap. The engine currently has Wiseco 1075 (10.25/1), mild cams, and a mild street port and polish.

What would be the ideal top end for this turbo without going big block? would it possible to put a thicker gasket under the block to lower the compression? Necessary to run oil cooler?

heres a shot of the goods. even came with stickers!
I wiggled the bolt in the center of the exhaust turbine and it felt kind of sloppy. Is this dreaded bushing you were talking about?
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 01:36 by DoctoRot.

More
01 Jun 2018 02:51 #784446 by zed1015
Think you got a bargain.
The original boost gauge alone goes for silly money.
Don't use the LOG exhaust when you get it built , you get better results with the other "Y" shaped one.
Stock cams or GPZ unitrack cams will work well for the street .
Your mild cams should be ok. go for 109 or 110 inlet and 112 exhaust to start.
1mm base gasket = 4.07 cc with the 72mm bore which will be around a 2 point drop in compression and will get you towards 8.0/1 ish.
That is presuming you have zero deck height.
If the pistons are slightly below that will be even better and you can always compensate for a lower static comp by upping the boost.
You could fit a J head for the same compression drop and get bigger valves in with the deal.
The center bush is plain alloy and needs some clearance for the oil so there is always some wiggle and without seeing it personally I wouldn't know if there's too much so it may be a good idea to find someone who knows Rajays to give it a check over.
Pretty sure you will find someone on this site.
As for engine size, 1075cc will be more than enough, The Orient express Drag bike is getting nearly 250hp at 30 psi and 170mph quarters on 1075cc.
The only difference (apart from the amount of boost) is a set of Megacycle race turbo cams and possibly the turbine/impeller specs.
What you really do need is some form of boost retard on the ignition to combat detonation.
You want to be around 28 degrees on boost.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctoRot

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
01 Jun 2018 13:58 - 01 Jun 2018 13:58 #784473 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic ATP turbo kit. Worth it?
thanks for the info. What ignition are you using? Dyna 2000?
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 13:58 by DoctoRot.

More
03 Jun 2018 03:24 #784541 by zed1015
The drag bike use a period Bill Hahn distributor ignition with boost retard but on my current turbo build I will probably use a Dyna 2000.
Would be nice to find another Bill Hahn set up for it but they are becoming a "vintage" item and hard to find now.