Doing cam timing

More
19 May 2018 06:02 - 19 May 2018 06:21 #783657 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Doing cam timing

hardrockminer wrote: Did you check the chain to see if it was in spec?

The important point is to get the exhaust cam set on the correct tooth according to the mark, and to then set the intake cam on the 28 mark. As I rough guide I would note that when properly installed the #4 lobe on exhaust and intake cams will point towards each other.

When you set the cams in you should have noticed a little more slack than normal because you shaved the head.

After I set the cams , I put the top guide in (without loctite) and install the tensioner on the back before rotating. Once rotated I will remove the top guide bolts one at a time and loctite.

Use the kicker to rotate. but don't push any harder than you need to in order to get the crank to rotate If you use the nut on the points side you risk breaking the timing pin installed in the end of the crank. Don't ask how I know.

This is a 'J' type engine with HYVO chain and no kickstart not the early engine so the above is not really relevent but despite that and no offence intended i'm pretty sure VTEC has all that nailed.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 19 May 2018 06:21 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
19 May 2018 12:16 #783676 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Doing cam timing
Have to ask, how do you want to do the cam timing to the specs???
I have some HYVO chain sprockets that have slotted holes to adjust the cam timing.
They come with my "J" head i bought 15 years ago.

Attachments:

More
19 May 2018 15:24 #783687 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Doing cam timing

Scirocco wrote: Have to ask, how do you want to do the cam timing to the specs???
I have some HYVO chain sprockets that have slotted holes to adjust the cam timing.
They come with my "J" head i bought 15 years ago.

Not sure what you mean? And those sprockets are for aftermarket J cams (or OEM KZ), OEM J are two bolt.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
19 May 2018 16:03 #783689 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Doing cam timing
Yes my fault, so you need a two bolt 30 tooth sprocket to adjust your cam timing, is it right?

More
20 May 2018 03:16 #783716 by zed1015

Scirocco wrote: Yes my fault, so you need a two bolt 30 tooth sprocket to adjust your cam timing, is it right?

Some confusion here???
VTEC already has slotted APE three bolt Hyvo adaptor sprockets fitted.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

More
20 May 2018 07:30 #783718 by VTEC

zed1015 wrote:

Scirocco wrote: Yes my fault, so you need a two bolt 30 tooth sprocket to adjust your cam timing, is it right?

Some confusion here???
VTEC already has slotted APE three bolt Hyvo adaptor sprockets fitted.

I didn't realize Scirocco thought I needed sprockets. And don't forget mine are counter-bored to align with the crank sprocket. :)

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

More
20 May 2018 10:29 - 20 May 2018 10:46 #783727 by VTEC
When I showed the guys at APE the discrepancy between OEM and aftermarket J cams (actually KZ cams) they gave me another option.

If I sent them a pair of OEM sprockets and cams they would put slots in the 2 bolt sprockets, and Web Cam would weld and grind the cams to 410 specs.

I didn't go that far, but it might be a good option for others. This would keep the sprockets inline with the crank, all lobes inline with the buckets, and if you have a tach cable the drive gear will lineup with the driven gear.

Not sure if there's any downside to welding on lobes as compared to the correct original casting.

Here's a pretty cool video of the process:

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 20 May 2018 10:46 by VTEC.

More
20 May 2018 11:19 #783728 by zed1015
Nothing wrong with hard welding and re-grinding.
It's been done for years to stock cams before aftermarket cores were available.

More
20 May 2018 13:37 #783735 by VTEC

zed1015 wrote: Nothing wrong with hard welding and re-grinding.
It's been done for years to stock cams before aftermarket cores were available.

If I had it to do over I probably would have gone that route. But by the time I got all the information I was too deep, and didn't want to add another delay. Just had to fix the misaligned sprockets.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

More
20 May 2018 19:49 #783751 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Doing cam timing
Thanks for discussing this subject guy's. Three years and 18K + miles later, I am reassured that 84 ZX1100 cams (and sprockets) was the best choice for me. :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
26 May 2018 06:46 - 26 May 2018 06:52 #784051 by VTEC
OK. Getting back to degreeing today.

I haven't asked if there are any suggestions about using numbers other than what's on the card. 107.5 intake/108.5 exhaust. I'm assuming these are the best numbers suggested for street riding.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 26 May 2018 06:52 by VTEC.

More
26 May 2018 12:31 #784084 by zed1015
I haven't tried those particular cams but i would go by the figures provided and see how it goes.
You need a baseline for any future tweaking anyway, the manufacturers settings have to be as good a place to start as any and i'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.
You can always move the centres if you need a bit more bottom or top.