Doing cam timing

More
13 May 2018 18:55 #783310 by VTEC
Doing cam timing was created by VTEC
Bottom end 100%, just installed block and head. Before installing camshafts I found TDC with degree wheel and piston stop. It came out about 4 degrees off from the OEM timing mark. Is that normal?

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2018 19:17 #783311 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Doing cam timing
I prefer to use a dial indicator to a piston stop.
The 4 degrees could be from a stack up of tolerances.
Material remove from the block or head on an over head cam engine will retard cam timing.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
13 May 2018 19:39 #783312 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Doing cam timing
You need the rubber chain guide in valve cover temporary mounted to do
the cam timing right!!!

More
13 May 2018 19:39 #783313 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Doing cam timing

Nebr_Rex wrote: I prefer to use a dial indicator to a piston stop.
The 4 degrees could be from a stack up of tolerances.
Material remove from the block or head on an over head cam engine will retard cam timing.

Possible. I took about .006" of both the block and head. Wondering if I should apply the difference when setting ignition timing. Like have the degree wheel at TDC when I remove it, and scribe the ignition mark accordingly.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

More
13 May 2018 19:47 - 13 May 2018 19:57 #783314 by VTEC

Scirocco wrote: You need the rubber chain guide in valve cover temporary mounted to do
the cam timing right!!!

Yeah. I cut a cover in half. You can see it on the bench behind the engine with all the junk. That's tomorrows project. Just installed the cams today. Pain in the ass getting the marks and cam position safe for install.

I had the sprockets counter-bored to center the chain in the guides, and had to reverse them , and they sent me 2 intake sprockets. Long story, but every aftermarket cam sold for a J engine is actually a KZ cam, and they don't fit perfect. Blew me away when I saw how off-center the sprockets were. And if you look closely several lobes are off-center with the buckets. And if you have a tach cable, it won't work. The drive gear on the exhaust cam isn't even close to lining up with the J engine driven gear.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 13 May 2018 19:57 by VTEC.

More
14 May 2018 01:43 - 14 May 2018 01:44 #783319 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Doing cam timing

VTEC wrote: Bottom end 100%, just installed block and head. Before installing camshafts I found TDC with degree wheel and piston stop. It came out about 4 degrees off from the OEM timing mark. Is that normal?

I have found the TDC mark on the ign case to be very accurate and have never had to alter it for ignition purposes .
If done correctly you will get the cam timing correct in relation to the crank using the disc and the TDC mark on the case is good enough for ignition settings.
Even using the best strobe you will never get the ignition timing accurate to the exact degree and my Orient express turbo drag bike runs perfect using the factory mark.
I presume you used the stop on the piston closest to the degree wheel ( number 4 ).

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 14 May 2018 01:44 by zed1015.

More
14 May 2018 07:35 - 14 May 2018 07:36 #783331 by VTEC

zed1015 wrote:

VTEC wrote: Bottom end 100%, just installed block and head. Before installing camshafts I found TDC with degree wheel and piston stop. It came out about 4 degrees off from the OEM timing mark. Is that normal?

I have found the TDC mark on the ign case to be very accurate and have never had to alter it for ignition purposes .
If done correctly you will get the cam timing correct in relation to the crank using the disc and the TDC mark on the case is good enough for ignition settings.
Even using the best strobe you will never get the ignition timing accurate to the exact degree and my Orient express turbo drag bike runs perfect using the factory mark.
I presume you used the stop on the piston closest to the degree wheel ( number 4 ).

Hey Zed, So have you seen the OEM TDC marks be that far off compared to piston stop/degree wheel when doing cam timing. Actually I have a Dyna ignition so the rotating mark isn't OEM.

Nebr_Rex suggested metal off the block and head decks may be the reason. But now that I think about it that would affect cam timing, but not TDC.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 14 May 2018 07:36 by VTEC.

More
14 May 2018 09:00 #783335 by zed1015

VTEC wrote: Hey Zed, So have you seen the OEM TDC marks be that far off compared to piston stop/degree wheel when doing cam timing. Actually I have a Dyna ignition so the rotating mark isn't OEM.
Nebr_Rex suggested metal off the block and head decks may be the reason. But now that I think about it that would affect cam timing, but not TDC.

I've found the oem mark to be very consistent with the result from the degree wheel and as already stated even if it is off a fraction it's not what you are degreeing off and is good enough for ignition.
Even with the Dyna S fitted it still uses the original advancer mark.
The only thing that would affect the TDC mark would be an out of true crank.
Material removed from the head or block etc won't change the crank orientation.
I would get on and degree the cams then once done go back and double check the accuracy of true TDC against the case marks.
If it is still found to be off and it bothers you, you could then scribe new tdc and advance marks on the rotor for doing the dynamic timing but i'd bet it's so close you couldn't get the ign timing any better than it has been previously.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

More
14 May 2018 09:39 - 14 May 2018 09:49 #783339 by VTEC

zed1015 wrote:

VTEC wrote: Hey Zed, So have you seen the OEM TDC marks be that far off compared to piston stop/degree wheel when doing cam timing. Actually I have a Dyna ignition so the rotating mark isn't OEM.

I've found the oem mark to be very consistent with the result from the degree wheel and as already stated even if it is off a fraction it's not what you are degreeing off and is good enough for ignition.
Even with the Dyna S fitted it still uses the original advancer mark.
The only thing that would affect the TDC mark would be an out of true crank.
Material removed from the head or block etc won't change the crank orientation.
I would get on and degree the cams then once done go back and double check the accuracy of true TDC against the case marks.
If it is still found to be off and it bothers you, you could then scribe new tdc and advance marks on the rotor for doing the dynamic timing but i'd bet it's so close you couldn't get the ign timing any better than it has been previously.

Wondering if the accuracy of the big wheel if making the difference stand out. I'd like to go back and double check TDC. I did use the stop on #1, but I guess it's best at #4 because that's the cylinder I'll be timing.

I know it's dangerous using the stop with the cams installed. But I think it will be safe if I go like 60 degrees ATDC, install stop, raise piston to the stop (about 47 degrees), remove stop, and repeat on the other side. I don't think there will be any valve interference with the stop going that route.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 14 May 2018 09:49 by VTEC.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
14 May 2018 10:04 - 14 May 2018 10:05 #783341 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Doing cam timing
Some dial gauges are very helpful in your situation to set / confirm TDC on all
cylinder to check for a twisted crankshaft.
A must have for a accurate cam degreeing .

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 May 2018 10:05 by Scirocco.

More
14 May 2018 10:26 - 14 May 2018 10:35 #783344 by zed1015

VTEC wrote:
Wondering if the accuracy of the big wheel if making the difference stand out. I'd like to go back and double check TDC. I did use the stop on #1, but I guess it's best at #4 because that's the cylinder I'll be timing.

I know it's dangerous using the stop with the cams installed. But I think it will be safe if I go like 60 degrees ATDC, install stop, raise piston to the stop (about 47 degrees), remove stop, and repeat on the other side. I don't think there will be any valve interference with the stop going that route.

You will never get a consistent result by removing and re-installing the stop.
4 degrees is nothing on piston travel when approaching BDC or TDC and a fraction of a turn difference when tightening the stop will easily throw off your readings by several degrees .
You need a stop with a thin enough nose to clear the valves, it only needs to stop the piston just short of TDC.
Fit the stop on number 4 as this eliminates any possible stack up of minute tolerances across the crank in the rod bearings etc.
Rotate the crank both ways without moving the stop to establish TDC for your degree pointer and leave it at that.
Forget the discrepancy with the case mark .

Last edit: 14 May 2018 10:35 by zed1015.

More
14 May 2018 10:53 - 14 May 2018 11:00 #783345 by VTEC

zed1015 wrote:

VTEC wrote:

You will never get a consistent result by removing and re-installing the stop.
4 degrees is nothing on piston travel when approaching BDC or TDC and a fraction of a turn difference when tightening the stop will easily throw off your readings by several degrees .
You need a stop with a thin enough nose to clear the valves, it only needs to stop the piston just short of TDC.
Fit the stop on number 4 as this eliminates any possible stack up of minute tolerances across the crank in the rod bearings etc.
Rotate the crank both ways without moving the stop to establish TDC for your degree pointer and leave it at that.
Forget the discrepancy with the case mark .

I went ahead and did the method I mentioned on #4 and it was still TDC like #1. 47 ATDC/47BTDC. I'm confident the crank is true, Stan Gardner did it for me. And I think using the same stop, same hole, same torque gave me an accurate reading even though I removed it. When tightening the stop by hand it comes to an abrupt stop when it makes contact with the head. Like no variance at all between installs. Super scared about hitting a valve. I know at full lift they extend into the lane of the spark plug hole.

Came out with a cool method for degreeing. Setup a web cam at the degree wheel so I can watch up close on my lap top while turning the crank from the other side.

Next is setting up the dial indicator. I think I'm gonna borrow the one from work with the flexible locking arm, as opposed to making a plate to seat my magnetic gauge. The one at work has a longer pin too.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 14 May 2018 11:00 by VTEC.