82 1100 Spectre ..shifts from 5th to 4th by itself

More
27 Sep 2017 05:31 #771868 by RLBuddi
Just turned and casually went through the gears, ....so I'm going down the highway at 60 mph when the bike shifts from 5th down to 4th ...all by itself!!? What could be causing this to happen?? A friend who knows more than me about bikes said that it was likely a shifting fork that was bent. Any/all information would be appreciated. Thanks a million!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2017 22:26 #771961 by RLBuddi
So, I guess nobody has had this happen to them before? Very strange ordeal, ....not to mention very dangerous. Garaged since. Wish I knew what's causing this. Please advise. Thanks again

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
28 Sep 2017 23:00 #771963 by Scirocco
Yes, the 4/5th gear shifting fork can be bent or worn out (hard chromed part of the shift fork).
The 5th gear it self (dog teeth are worn out) and have to be under cut.

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Sep 2017 06:52 #771971 by SWest
Could be the shifting dogs are worn out. I back cut second but not 5th. It started popping out of 2nd again and when I opened it up 2nd was still good but 5th was visibly worn. I got a low mile KZ 900 tranny before I tore it down and back cut both. On the larger fours you can split the cases without removing the head. PITA but well worth it.
BTW, the 900's had a weak shift spring and main shift fork. I used KZ 1000 parts that are beefier.B)
Steve

More
29 Sep 2017 14:59 #771997 by RLBuddi
Well, I'll be darned. That's too fricken cool man. This is golden brother. I appreciate the attachments, they are a huge help indeed. Pulled the oil pan, and took a look up in there. The gear shown in your attachment as #28, ...or it could be the gear shown as #35 looks like the teeth had been sheered off the one side of the gear.

So, the main shift spring and main shift fork from a KZ1000 would be stronger?? Please advise.
Attachments:

More
29 Sep 2017 15:36 #771999 by RLBuddi
I dunno though, looked at pics of gears on EvilBay and they looked the same as mine. That gear isn't sheered, rather back cut as someone mentioned.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Sep 2017 15:53 #772004 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLBuddi

More
07 Oct 2017 12:49 #772470 by RLBuddi
How far do I can gotta tear it down to just to look at these for-mentioned parts? Please advise....the snow is gonna fly soon and I'm just worried I won't have it done by then. Gonna go to my local library and see if there is any manuals on this. Any/all additional information is gonna be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million!! reeBrelliM

More
10 Oct 2017 16:00 #772671 by RLBuddi
Well, I got it tore down this far. So, to check the shift forks don't I just pull the shift rod out and they fall out the pan hole, right?
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Oct 2017 16:22 #772674 by SWest
No. You need a manual. You should be able to split the cases without removing the head. Also you should be able to drop the pan to inspect the tranny and shift forks (3).
Steve

More
10 Oct 2017 16:59 #772680 by RLBuddi
There is no doubt about me needing a manual, however, the snow will be flying soon here and I can't afford a manual right now. My buddy whom had raced for Kawasaki 20 yrs ago probably knows more than I ever will, ...it's just trying to get him over here again is another story, as he is a busy guy. Was only trying to get 'er done before snow flies here. He said something about being able to drop the shift forks out of the pan hole by pulling the shift rod out. If I seem impatient, I apologize. It's only because I still don't know what is wrong.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Oct 2017 17:11 #772681 by SWest
They'll drop out alright, getting them back in place is another matter. I lay the bike over on the alternator cover to peer inside with the pan off. Wide open then.
Steve
Attachments: