The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1

More
14 Dec 2015 09:05 #703086 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1

NobleHops wrote:

pete greek1 wrote:

NobleHops wrote: Here's that thread.

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/578661-dyno-stator-cover-issue

Not sure I'm going that route, but it's good food for thought.

N.

Thanks N, mine is leaking pretty bad on my 900, as soon as I start my rebuild , that's one other thing I have to do
Pete

Pete, I found that gasket for ~$10 each from my friend Bob at CBXPerformance.com

www.cbxperformance.com/oscommerce/

Thanks N. I already have one, just haven't started the rebuild yet
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2015 06:51 #703183 by 750Kruzer
Just got caught up on the thread. A thing of beauty seeing that engine taken apart. Engineering pron :D Learned bits of helpful info as well

1983 KZ750 LTD Twin K1
The following user(s) said Thank You: NobleHops

More
16 Dec 2015 07:00 #703267 by Kidkawie

swest wrote: Get a new grommet. Major source of leaks. They're cheap. I wouldn't soak it in anything. It's where the wires go through that's the problem.
Steve

I just sealed mine up. I think the cloth insulation wicks the oil out. I cleaned up all the wires best I could with brake clean and degreaser...then cleaned them again. IIRC, I used form a gasket and let it soak into the wiring then stuffed the opening in the cover with silicone and siliconed the inside edge of the grommet.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750Kruzer

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Dec 2015 07:08 #703269 by SWest
That should work. I use crazy glue because it gets deep into the webbing. I hate oil on my foot. :dry:
Steve

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Dec 2015 09:45 #703279 by z1kzonly
Time to find a good one. I do have a new old stock rubber grommet. Giving them a bath in the laundry tub.
So many years, I can't remember the stories behind them.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Dec 2015 11:19 #703286 by SWest
I have three of them. I think they develop resistance in the coils and stop charging as well.
Steve

• NobleHops
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
  • A happy present from the earth!
More
23 Dec 2015 13:45 #704100 by NobleHops
HEY I'm back. With good news and less good news.

The good news is I now have all my gaskets in hand and so got to business reassembling the engine - Yay! The bad news is I got almost immediately stopped on teh transmission reassembly because I didn't inspect closely enough and I think it needs parts and work. I can keep busy on the clutch and the stator cleanup and reassembly, but I could use some advice on the folowing. Gotta be fast with this post, but would appreciate your collective input as always.

On the transmission output shaft, this outer needle bearing race is AFU. Can't imagine how this happened, there's no sign of carnage on the case and the locating pin is intact. The bearing feels fine within, thinking I can just swap a replacement of this onto it, but haven't delved into the parts list to see what it is. Anyone have one they'd part with?

[img

Also going to post some photos of the engagement dogs, I should have inspected these before now, but several of them are rounded over and worn. What do we think about this amount of wear men? And what's the best course of action? Replace this shaft with a good used one? Would I be wise to replace the primary shaft at the same time, thinking they wear as a pair?

OK, gonna post a slew of transmission photos appreciate your thoughts on this:

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

One more post for now...

Nils Menten * RestoCycle LLC * Tucson, Arizona * USA

Proud sponsor of KZRider: kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/604812...on-shocks-usa#751083

Vapor blasting with free shipping! www.restocycle.com
Discounted Ikon Shocks! www.ikonshocksusa.com

• NobleHops
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
23 Dec 2015 13:47 #704102 by NobleHops
Would some kind soul be willing to hack one of these (intact) blue connectors off a junk stator and mail to to me please? I would be eternally grateful...

[img

Proud sponsor of KZRider: kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/604812...on-shocks-usa#751083

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Dec 2015 15:21 - 23 Dec 2015 15:25 #704114 by SWest
A short clip for Nils. The Z1, KZ 900 and early KZ 1000's are the same.
Steve
Last edit: 23 Dec 2015 15:25 by SWest.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Dec 2015 15:22 #704115 by z1kzonly
Hello Nils, I can help you out with a blue dyno plug. Most of them are brittle, with 1 side of the snap locks cracked. But I have a nice one with the 5 male pigtails. The oil send and neutral light wire are nipped short. And another with all the wires, you can make due with the 2 and come up with a nice one to use with your wires.
Thanks for the tip on the wintergreen oil!
I have 1000ml. of Methyl Salicylate coming. industrial, not diluted (hopefully) not for human consumption. I will be able to sell some off to anyone that wants 4 oz. here. I can spare 8-12 oz.'s
I'll PM you.
Merry Christmas from Totally green and 60 degrees in Buffalo, NY. I love it!

Marty

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: NobleHops

• NobleHops
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
23 Dec 2015 18:49 #704151 by NobleHops

z1kzonly wrote: Hello Nils, I can help you out with a blue dyno plug. Most of them are brittle, with 1 side of the snap locks cracked. But I have a nice one with the 5 male pigtails. The oil send and neutral light wire are nipped short. And another with all the wires, you can make due with the 2 and come up with a nice one to use with your wires.
Thanks for the tip on the wintergreen oil!
I have 1000ml. of Methyl Salicylate coming. industrial, not diluted (hopefully) not for human consumption. I will be able to sell some off to anyone that wants 4 oz. here. I can spare 8-12 oz.'s
I'll PM you.
Merry Christmas from Totally green and 60 degrees in Buffalo, NY. I love it!

Marty

Marty you're awesome, I will PM you my address - thanks a ton. Are you going to try the xylene with the wintergreen? Get the paint can and save your brew - bet it lasts you for roughly forever. :-)

• NobleHops
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
23 Dec 2015 18:51 #704152 by NobleHops
Replied by NobleHops on topic The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1
Steve, thank you yet again. What are your thoughts in the condition of the one I have? Replace with a better used example?