Clutch not Disengaging after Sprocket Change

More
16 Sep 2017 11:13 #771019 by Zachgrove1
Hello All!

Last night I changed out the sprockets and chain on my 81 KZ 1000 LTD K1, and when I got it all buttoned back up, fired up, and ready for a test ride - I pulled the clutch, clicked into first gear, felt the bike shift into first, released the clutch, and nothing happened. Although the bike shifted into first, no power was transferred to the transmission. I then tried shifting without pulling in the clutch -
and also felt the bike shift into first without pulling the clutch in, just hitting the shifter. The bike ran just fine before I pulled it apart to replace the sprockets and chain which were toast.

When changing the front sprocket, I pulled the clutch push rod per the Clymer manual. After reinstalling, it does not feel as though the clutch push rod is moving. This is my first motorcycle project that I've had for about 6 months. and am a bit green when it comes to dealing with clutches especially.

Would anyone be able to provide some insight on what may have happened and how I can fix it? Or if I'm not articulating my question well enough please let me know if I can provide further clarification!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
16 Sep 2017 11:54 - 16 Sep 2017 13:28 #771023 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Clutch not Disengaging after Sprocket Change
Zachgrove1 wrote

Although the bike shifted into first, no power was transferred to the transmission. I then tried shifting without pulling in the clutch

It looks like your clutch mechanism is disengaging the clutch permanently. You have do something wrong reinstalling.
Pull the clutch cover and try to get power transfer to transmission.

Edit: Pull the sprocket cover not clutch cover. This should engage the clutch to the transmission
Last edit: 16 Sep 2017 13:28 by Scirocco.

More
16 Sep 2017 13:35 #771031 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Clutch not Disengaging after Sprocket Change
As Scirocco said, I suspect you did something to the clutch actuator under the sprocket cover.

I wouldn't expect you did anything wrong with the sprocket installation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
16 Sep 2017 14:02 - 16 Sep 2017 14:02 #771033 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Clutch not Disengaging after Sprocket Change
It could be you unhooked the clutch cable grommet from the clutch cover bore and shorten the inner clutch cable.

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Sep 2017 14:02 by Scirocco.

More
16 Sep 2017 18:13 #771064 by Zachgrove1
Replied by Zachgrove1 on topic Clutch not Disengaging after Sprocket Change
Gentlemen I certainly appreciate the responses - after pulling the clutch cover off and putting it back on about 8 times, I finally did something right and was able to get the power to the rear wheel. I have no clue what I did differently and it probably was something simple I overlooked, but hey sometimes its the small victories that get you through the day.

The issue I have now is oil is leaking from the hole where the clutch push rod is inserted. It only seems to leak when the bike is on the kickstand, leaning at an angle and not when in the upright position. I pulled the clutch cover and watched it come out, so I know exactly where its coming from, However, right now its in my garage on the center stand there is no oil leaking.

I've looked at the parts diagram on Partzilla, and am trying to wrap my head around what I could've damaged when re-installing the clutch push rod, it didn't feel like I forced it at all when reinstalling.

Is there a common problem that results in an oil leak when dealing with the clutch push rod? Is the oil seal easily damaged? If that's the case, will I have to tear the entire clutch apart to fix it?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Sep 2017 19:29 #771067 by SWest
That seal is a push in. It doesn't have a spring around it or metal inside. Could it have slipped out? There is a cover it fits in but the sprocket has to come off to get to it. 8 or so JIS screws. They will be very tight. I use a hand impact with an extension to loosen them.
Steve

Attachments:

More
16 Sep 2017 20:57 #771069 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Clutch not Disengaging after Sprocket Change
You should rotate the pushrod to see if it is bent. If it wobbles, it is bent. If it is bent, that might explain the sudden oil leak. You might be able to get away with simply pulling the pushrod out and replacing it with a new one. I'm not sure if they are straighten-able. I guess it depends on how bent it is.

More
17 Sep 2017 06:27 - 17 Sep 2017 08:18 #771077 by Zachgrove1
Thanks guys! I don't think the push rod is bent - I'll pull it apart today and compare it to a strait edge/spin it to see if it wobbles, and see what I have. I'll post a few pictures when I get the chance. It's also possible that a seal slipped out.

I did happen to find a small O ring on my garage floor - does the clutch push rod have a small rubber O ring that's inserted on the end? Could that be the seal you mentioned Steve? Something like this: www.z1enterprises.com/oil-seal-8-x-18-x-...pushrod-kz1000j.html
Last edit: 17 Sep 2017 08:18 by Zachgrove1.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Sep 2017 08:17 #771081 by SWest
You can see the oil seals here. The "O ring" might be part of the seal that's why it's leaking.
Steve
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/599524-counter-shaft-oil-seal

Had to use JB Weld to keep mine in until I could get a new set.
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Sep 2017 08:24 #771083 by SWest

Zachgrove1 wrote: Thanks guys! I don't think the push rod is bent - I'll pull it apart today and compare it to a strait edge/spin it to see if it wobbles, and see what I have. I'll post a few pictures when I get the chance. It's also possible that a seal slipped out.

I did happen to find a small O ring on my garage floor - does the clutch push rod have a small rubber O ring that's inserted on the end? Could that be the seal you mentioned Steve? Something like this: www.z1enterprises.com/oil-seal-8-x-18-x-...pushrod-kz1000j.html

I don't know where that O ring would go.
Steve

More
17 Sep 2017 11:42 #771094 by Daftrusty
Replied by Daftrusty on topic Clutch not Disengaging after Sprocket Change
There is a tiny o-ring in the pushrod tube port. It seals against the pushrod to keep oil from pouring out. You "may" have accidentally partially pulled the o-ring out when originally removing the pushrod and upon installation it jammed the pushrod and clutch in the "open" position when you applied the clutch.
The o-ring does not show up in all the transmission diagrams I have seen, and was suprised to find it when I dissassembled mine. I found the replacement o-ring in an "entire engine seal kit" I bought.

O-ring shown on my kz750e
Attachments:

More
17 Sep 2017 13:25 #771098 by Zachgrove1
Awesome, thanks for the info! Would you happen to remember what size that O-Ring was?