Bike won't start after warmed up (Part 2)

• ThatFiveOhTho
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jun 2017 19:08 #764918 by ThatFiveOhTho
Bike won't start after warmed up (Part 2) was created by ThatFiveOhTho
So, after going through everything, I still have a hard starting problem when warm. The motor turns over freely and I have adequate spark, and compression. but if I wait more then 20 or so minutes after a ride it takes about 7 seconds of cranking with the throttle open to attain ignition. Ive also checked valve clearances, which leads me to my series of questions before I tear open the valve cover gasket again:

1. If valve clearances were tight, would I still get compression on the cylinder. The bike runs perfect other then this issue which has plauged me.

2. Would an overheated pickup produce delayed enough trigger to fail to fire until it cooled off?

3. What is the proper procedure for checking valve clearences? Is it at exactly tdc or the lowest clearences attained between points where the valve is closed? I used the tdc timing mark method and am beginning to think that I'm still tight enough to cause a failure to fire.

4. I can hear the carbs boiling with my ears near them. They are hot to the touch from the transmission baking them when parked. Is this normal?

I'm sure I forgot something but I'll be sure to post it if I remember. Thanks ahead to anyone who responds. You've made this bike damn near perfect.

1982 KZ750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jun 2017 19:39 #764925 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatFiveOhTho

More
20 Jun 2017 19:42 #764926 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bike won't start after warmed up (Part 2)
At engine temperatures less than normal operating temperature (such as when performing a compression test), a valve with insufficient clearance may seal completely when in its closed position and allow for a satisfactory compression reading. But when the engine attains normal operating temperature, the heat expansion results in failure of a valve with insufficient clearance to seal completely when in its closed position.

This is why a cool engine with insufficient clearance may start and run okay until it warms up, and then begins losing compression when the too tight valve begins failing to seal completely when in its closed position.

A typical symptom is failure to idle after the engine warms up.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, ThatFiveOhTho

More
20 Jun 2017 19:58 #764930 by Patton

ThatFiveOhTho wrote: . . . Would an overheated pickup produce delayed enough trigger to fail to fire until it cooled off? , , , What is the proper procedure for checking valve clearences? Is it at exactly tdc or the lowest clearences attained between points where the valve is closed? I used the tdc timing mark method and am beginning to think that I'm still tight enough to cause a failure to fire. . . can hear the carbs boiling with my ears near them. They are hot to the touch from the transmission baking them when parked. Is this normal? . . . .

Would an overheated pickup produce delayed enough trigger to fail to fire until it cooled off? --- imo, most probably not.

What is the proper procedure for checking valve clearences? Is it at exactly tdc or the lowest clearences attained between points where the valve is closed? I used the tdc timing mark method and am beginning to think that I'm still tight enough to cause a failure to fire ---

can hear the carbs boiling with my ears near them. They are hot to the touch from the transmission baking them when parked. Is this normal? --- Imo, no, not normal for fuel in float bowl to ever reach boiling temperature.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, ThatFiveOhTho

• ThatFiveOhTho
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jun 2017 20:44 #764934 by ThatFiveOhTho
Replied by ThatFiveOhTho on topic Bike won't start after warmed up (Part 2)
I've checked compression both cold and when the problem occurred, and obtained the same exact reading of 130psi. Does this mean I can rule out clearances?

I will most likely have to pop the valve cover off anyways. I believe I used the FSM to check and have proper clearances but with this issue it's making me second guess myself. Just didn't make sense that the bike runs great at idle, take off and wot unless it sits for a bit.

1982 KZ750E

• ThatFiveOhTho
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jun 2017 20:49 #764935 by ThatFiveOhTho
I also have drained the fuel bowl to verify flow. I don't have any starvation issues when riding and it doesn't matter if the petcock is on prime or run. Choke has no effect and fuel levels in the bowl are at spec when the problem is there.

1982 KZ750E

• ThatFiveOhTho
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2017 03:32 #764945 by ThatFiveOhTho
Well, I can rule out the bike needing more fuel. I sprayed fuel in a bottle into the intake and still, 7 second delay then fires up and clears out. I can kill the bike after this point and as long as I start it up within a few min it will kick right over. It's just when it's been sitting hot. I took off the spark plug before adding fuel manually and saw what I believe to be fuel condense around the spark plug, not a lot since the plug was dry but a ring was present none the less.

1982 KZ750E

More
21 Jun 2017 05:25 #764949 by Patton

ThatFiveOhTho wrote: I've checked compression both cold and when the problem occurred, and obtained the same exact reading of 130psi. Does this mean I can rule out clearances?

I will most likely have to pop the valve cover off anyways. I believe I used the FSM to check and have proper clearances but with this issue it's making me second guess myself. Just didn't make sense that the bike runs great at idle, take off and wot unless it sits for a bit.

checked compression both cold and when the problem occurred --- not unless somehow performed a compression test while cruising down the highway. :lol: Satisfactory compression test result does NOT rule out a valve clearance issue, and is NOT evidence of sufficient valve clearance, regardless of when the compression test is performed. Because the compression test is performed when the engine is not running.

If not already done, would also use a timing light to assure proper functioning of the automatic advancer, especially to see that it's not stuck or hanging.

Are the factory specified spark plugs fitted?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• ThatFiveOhTho
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2017 11:45 #764978 by ThatFiveOhTho
Cool. I suppose the only thing to do is to pull the valve cover off and check again, which will have to wait until next weekend.

Timing has been verified with a timing light, and the advancer has been polished and lubed.

1982 KZ750E

• ThatFiveOhTho
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2017 12:17 - 21 Jun 2017 12:38 #764980 by ThatFiveOhTho
Yes, factory spec. B8ES if I remember correctly.

The new valve cover gasket has been ordered. Just to clarify, I looked in the manual and came up with a different photo then you.

1982 KZ750E
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jun 2017 12:38 by ThatFiveOhTho.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Jun 2017 12:33 #764983 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bike won't start after warmed up (Part 2)
The carbs "boiling" is what bothers me. Could be compression leaking back through the intake valves being too tight or out of time. I wouldn't ride it until the issue is found.
Steve

• ThatFiveOhTho
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2017 12:44 #764986 by ThatFiveOhTho
To be honest I don't think they were boiling. Hot maybe but I realized the battery makes the same noise that the carbs did that night.. probably not a coincidence since fuel didn't boil when I added it manually. Also I've edited my previous message in what I found in the FSM.

1982 KZ750E