Engine Spec and Cam Timing

More
17 Oct 2016 11:49 #745442 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine Spec and Cam Timing

JoHNY wrote: Cover won't actually bolt down with tension and if you force it you'll warp the cover. What's interesting is although I think it makes no odds is once tentioned it pulls both cams out but only very slightly

Seen plenty that have been fully bolted down with the tensioner in situ and it has quickly resulted in damaged tensioners and snapped cam chains also once on, the exhaust cam timing in relation to the crank is not affected. only the inlet cam which is slightly advanced towards it's intended timing figure.
The inlet cam timing is retarded by a few degrees until the cover is bolted on which is why the timing procedure is reliant on the pin count.
That is how Kawasaki designed it.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2016 12:37 #745447 by JoHNY
Replied by JoHNY on topic Engine Spec and Cam Timing
ah right, so the inlet cam advances by a degree or two to its correct position when tentioned, always wondered?

Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Oct 2016 18:43 #745495 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Engine Spec and Cam Timing

JoHNY wrote: Cover won't actually bolt down with tension and if you force it you'll warp the cover. What's interesting is although I think it makes no odds is once tentioned it pulls both cams out but only very slightly

Will likely bust the guides.
Steve