Engine Spec and Cam Timing

• Julian_Boolean
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Oct 2016 04:18 #745260 by Julian_Boolean
Engine Spec and Cam Timing was created by Julian_Boolean
My Z1000J (KZ in USA) looks like the engine may be ZX spec, although it has a J engine number
See pictures below and I think the shims are under the buckets, also is the cam timing out, the cam picture were taken with the T1.4 mark lined up.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2016 16:56 - 15 Oct 2016 16:57 #745289 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine Spec and Cam Timing
Pics aren't very clear but it doesn't look off.
Exhaust cam marks should line up with the cover off but Inlet cam timing will only be visually correct with the cam cover on .
Check the pin count as per manual with the motor at TDC .
Make sure you release the tensioner first before refitting cam cover.
Shim under is a simple conversion with GPZ or Z650 parts so could be done for use with higher lift cams or could be a complete Unitrack head fitted.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 15 Oct 2016 16:57 by zed1015.

• Julian_Boolean
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Oct 2016 23:38 #745303 by Julian_Boolean
Replied by Julian_Boolean on topic Engine Spec and Cam Timing
Thanks, I've counted the pins and the timing is correct.
Why does the tensioner need releasing before putting the cover on, won't the cover push down on the chain and sort the tension out?

More
16 Oct 2016 04:41 #745312 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Engine Spec and Cam Timing

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thanks, I've counted the pins and the timing is correct.
Why does the tensioner need releasing before putting the cover on, won't the cover push down on the chain and sort the tension out?

There is a rub block in the valve cover which depressed the chain. With the cover off the tensioner will spring out to take up the slack created when the cover was removed. The tensioner is designed to spring out and not go back in once it does. All you have to do is remove the tensioner spring cap and slightly pull back on the wedge before installing the cover, and then put the spring cap back on once the top end is buttoned up.

• Julian_Boolean
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Oct 2016 04:49 #745313 by Julian_Boolean
Thanks for that, makes a lot of sense.

Took the carbs and rubbers off this morning, inlet tracts are very smooth and look like they've been gas flowed.
They've got A stamped into the bottom of them.

More
16 Oct 2016 04:55 - 17 Oct 2016 01:49 #745315 by zed1015

The tensioner only moves one way once assembled on the engine.
Just fitting the cam cover without releasing the tension will put massive loads on the cam chain and tensioner etc which will result in severe engine damage.
Also do not rotate the engine with the tensioner removed as the resulting slack can cause the chain to jump the sprockets and if gone un-noticed can put the timing out, again risking poor running, engine damage, bent valves etc.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 01:49 by zed1015.

More
16 Oct 2016 04:59 #745316 by zed1015

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thanks for that, makes a lot of sense.

Took the carbs and rubbers off this morning, inlet tracts are very smooth and look like they've been gas flowed.
They've got A stamped into the bottom of them.

The "A" stamp identifies the head as a Gpz Unitrack head.
These were factory ported but not to the extent of being immediately obvious (just cleaned up) so it sounds like it may have had some extra work done by the PO or professionally.

• Julian_Boolean
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Oct 2016 07:13 #745323 by Julian_Boolean
Thanks, do you know if the Unitrak head has a larger combustion chamber than the other J heads?

More
16 Oct 2016 08:21 #745328 by zed1015
The unitrack has slightly less combustion chamber volume than the 998cc J but more than the earlier 900/1015cc kickstart engines.
It feature a twin swirl (bathtub) chamber design with larger valves than the J and a steeper (more upright) valve angle.
Ports are larger too as well as slightly lumpier cams.

More
16 Oct 2016 17:02 #745377 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Engine Spec and Cam Timing

zed1015 wrote:

Just fitting the cam cover without releasing the tension will put massive loads on the cam chain and tensioner etc which will result in severe engine damage.
Also do not rotate the engine with the tensioner removed as the resulting slack can cause the chain to jump the sprockets and if gone un-noticed can put the timing out, again risking poor running, engine damage, bent valves etc.

I adjusted the valves on many J motors with the side cap off and side wedge removed. We did them that way every day and never had one jump time. There's a spring behind the main plunger that puts enough tension on the chain with the side wedge removed. Just don't ever run the engine with the side wedge and cap removed.

Larry C.

More
17 Oct 2016 02:13 - 17 Oct 2016 05:15 #745407 by zed1015

LarryC wrote:

zed1015 wrote:

I adjusted the valves on many J motors with the side cap off and side wedge removed. We did them that way every day and never had one jump time. There's a spring behind the main plunger that puts enough tension on the chain with the side wedge removed. Just don't ever run the engine with the side wedge and cap removed.

Would like to clarify that I advised not to rotate the engine with the Tensioner removed not Tension removed or tensioner un-locked.
Two entirely different scenarios .
And whether intentional or not, I have to point out that the highlighted portion of your reply in context with quoting my answer may imply that I am giving incorrect or misleading advice on this which is not the case.

Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 05:15 by zed1015.

More
17 Oct 2016 09:59 - 17 Oct 2016 10:00 #745431 by JoHNY
Replied by JoHNY on topic Engine Spec and Cam Timing
Cover won't actually bolt down with tension and if you force it you'll warp the cover. What's interesting is although I think it makes no odds is once tentioned it pulls both cams out but only very slightly

Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 10:00 by JoHNY.