Ebay Cams- Did I buy scrap metal?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2016 19:57 #738593 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Ebay Cams- Did I buy scrap metal?
The seller was hoping the buyer would use them at least until the time ran out. The measurements are off too. Tells me they are worn out as well.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2016 22:21 #738600 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Ebay Cams- Did I buy scrap metal?
Yes, I'm kidding. As far as I know, the only way to correct pitting on cam lobe is to hard weld and regrind. Hardly worth the expense in this case.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
13 Aug 2016 22:58 - 13 Aug 2016 23:00 #738602 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Ebay Cams- Did I buy scrap metal?

TexasKZ wrote: Yes, I'm kidding. As far as I know, the only way to correct pitting on cam lobe is to hard weld and regrind. Hardly worth the expense in this case.

Yes indeed - cams and pistons aren't usually worth spit if they are used. I wouldn't suggest paying more than 5% of new price on any used cams or pistons without seeing them in person first......

Carbs are nearly as bad - buying used you should at least half expect them to be junk.

And all used brake master cylinders over 10 years old = scrap bin filler material.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
Last edit: 13 Aug 2016 23:00 by Kray-Z.

More
13 Aug 2016 23:52 #738606 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Ebay Cams- Did I buy scrap metal?

Kray-Z wrote:

TexasKZ wrote: Yes, I'm kidding. As far as I know, the only way to correct pitting on cam lobe is to hard weld and regrind. Hardly worth the expense in this case.

Yes indeed - cams and pistons aren't usually worth spit if they are used. I wouldn't suggest paying more than 5% of new price on any used cams or pistons without seeing them in person first......

Carbs are nearly as bad - buying used you should at least half expect them to be junk.

And all used brake master cylinders over 10 years old = scrap bin filler material.

The biggest part of making America great again, would be that folks learn to be honest with one another. If we can't have that anymore, then any sincere effort to achieve that greatness will be vain.

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Aug 2016 05:36 #738610 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Ebay Cams- Did I buy scrap metal?
As I say, you can't spit without hitting a scammer. :dry:
Steve