Sight glass panic- (2)

More
08 Aug 2016 03:57 #737794 by shamal
Sight glass panic- (2) was created by shamal
OK, after the problems i had after the rebuild, issues that i fixed with your help, a new crank and alot of work Ivan say the bike is now running very good.
Stock engine , pod foam filters and rejetting.
My 550 its running awesome.
When the engine is cold and i start up, ican barely See the oil in the sight glass being sucked by the pump and the glass being empty. Normal.
BUT, when the engine is VERY hot (Like after 15 min of traffic or slow slow running in the city) ,if i look to the sight glass i can see with the engine running a bit of oil in the glass, a bit more over the minum level.
Since this bike, as We saw, has NOT oil level pressure sender, but only oil level sender... Im worried about that. Im afraid i have Not enough oil pressure in that running condition.
After all, i have to say the engine seems to work perfectly even when is hot hot hot and i See this bit oil sitting in the glass..
No strange sounds or other things.
Should i be worried?
Can please someone put his bike on the centrestand when is very hot and look at the glass?
Thank you mates.
Happy summer!

1983 kz 550 h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2016 05:44 - 08 Aug 2016 06:49 #737806 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Sight glass panic- (2)
When the engine is running, the oil pump pumps oil into the various oil passages to lubricate & cool the engine. You've probably already done this, but check the oil level. as per the owner's manual or factory service manual.

edit: the Kawasaki service manual for your 550 GPz may have an engine oil flow chart & diagram with cutaway view so you can see all the places where the oil is pumped.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 06:49 by martin_csr.

More
08 Aug 2016 05:50 - 08 Aug 2016 05:55 #737807 by shamal
Replied by shamal on topic Sight glass panic- (2)
Thank you martin, kind as usual. I know about oil level. With cold engine on the centerstand , Not running, oil is at max in the glass.
You say its normal to See some oil sitting in the glass with engine running?
When the oil is still cold and i run the motor, the sight its empty and this is OK. I wonder if what happen with hot engine is good or is a oil pressure/delivery problem.
Im referring only to what i See when the engine is hot and running.

1983 kz 550 h
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 05:55 by shamal.

More
08 Aug 2016 05:54 - 08 Aug 2016 05:59 #737808 by martin_csr
I should've added that you can start worrying if the oil level doesn't go down.
Also, always note that the oil warning light is functioning when the ignition switch is turned to ON,
then the oil light should go out when the engine is started. you probably already know this as well. :)
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 05:59 by martin_csr.

More
08 Aug 2016 05:58 #737810 by shamal
Oil level go down when i start. And when engine is running the oil disappear from the glass.
This chance when the oil is very hot. When very hot i can See a bit of oil on the glass, Like the pump have difficult to pump the entire amount of oil. And this is my question.

1983 kz 550 h

More
08 Aug 2016 06:08 - 08 Aug 2016 06:37 #737814 by martin_csr
The oil is pumped into the various engine oil passages, so a certain volume of oil circulates throughout the engine, lowering the oil level at the light glass. When the engine is stopped, the oil drains back down into the oil pan.

Manual. do you have the Kawasaki service manual? You could read about the engine oil, oil cooler & oil pressure switch. stuff like that.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 06:37 by martin_csr.

More
08 Aug 2016 06:17 - 08 Aug 2016 06:18 #737819 by shamal
Martin im sorry for my english that sucks but i think you dont understand well my first messagge in the topic.
I perfectly know how to check oil level and how its work. I have just another "problem" . can you read my first messagge?
PS, the 550 has Not a pressure switch , just a crazy oil level sender unit. Useless and dangerous.

1983 kz 550 h
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 06:18 by shamal.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Aug 2016 06:37 #737824 by SWest

More
08 Aug 2016 06:46 - 08 Aug 2016 09:45 #737826 by martin_csr
My mistake. your english is fine. I did not read the topic post carefully enough. doh.
Hopefully, someone else will chime in. I would hold off on running the engine.
On my bike the oil level goes down in the sight glass when the engine is running & goes back up when it is stopped.

In regards to swest's good advice, there should be a port on the engine where you can install a pressure gauge. typically, you would remove a threaded plug & install the gauge for testing purposes.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 09:45 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Aug 2016 07:50 #737832 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Sight glass panic- (2)
I never liked "idiot lights." In all my vehicles if they don't have a gauge, I install one. My daughter came out to visit and I checked the oil in the car I bought her. 04 Malibu. NOTHING on the stick. "The oil light didn't come on" she said. :angry: I told her to check the oil at every fill up. The switch can be bad, the light could be burned out, whatever. I lunched a piston because I was burning more oil than I thought and the sight glass was dirty. I cleaned it and I now have two gauges.

In my 69 Ford F250, the gauge will read low when the oil level is low. The light won't come on until there is NO oil pressure. Same with the bike. Plus it gives me piece of mind when I glance down while running it hard and seeing high oil pressure. B)
Steve
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2016 08:19 #737837 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Sight glass panic- (2)
I have never bothered looking at my sight glass when my engine is running. But it seems reasonable, as suggested, that the oil level will go down in the site glass with the engine running because of it being dispersed all the areas of the engine.
As for why it reappears after the oil gets hot? I am going to guess that oil takes up more volume when hot than cold. And that is why you maybe seeing it again once it is hot. I have no idea, just food for thought.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
08 Aug 2016 08:23 #737839 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Sight glass panic- (2)
Just a reminder

OIL Expands when Hot ;)

This alone can increase the level in the sight glass :P

So Cold oil in a engine Not running will be high since oil is not being pulled thru the motor

Once started the oil will go down in level as the pump pulls oil into the motor

Once the motor is hot the oil level can increase . But I will now guess as to not as high as it was cold and not running

Just some thoughts

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn