Sight glass panic- (2)

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
08 Aug 2016 08:25 #737840 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Sight glass panic- (2)
Joe beat me to the send button

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2016 09:02 - 08 Aug 2016 09:06 #737844 by shamal
Replied by shamal on topic Sight glass panic- (2)
Your answers are reasonable! Thank you. So i guess its normal to have oil near the min mark in the glass when the oil is very hot...and engine is idling
If someone can take a look on his bike to confirm , will be great :)

1983 kz 550 h
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 09:06 by shamal.

More
09 Aug 2016 08:36 - 09 Aug 2016 08:40 #737982 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Sight glass panic- (2)
When the oil is cold, it probably takes longer to return to the pan through gravity., so there is less in the pan. When it gets hot, it returns faster, so the pan will have more in it. What you see is splash from the secondary gear and clutch.

Don't let the oil level get too close to the top mark. That can sometimes cause the clutch to slip.

I took some photos when I had the clutch cover off a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find your original topic to post the photos in.

Here's a copy of the topic I started:
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/603187-kz...reply/734142?quote=1

loudhvx wrote: I thought I recall a thread where someone was worried about their oil level after a rebuild, but I can't find the thread.
In it he said he saw the oil disappear from the site glass after starting the motor (which we know is normal), but he was also seeing a lot of splashing in/behind the window.

I was doing some clutch experiments and had the cover off so I took some photos. (BTW, if you tilt the bike enough, you can swap the clutch and only lose a couple drops of oil.)

The animation (3rd image) shows what the range of the oil level would be when the motor is stopped, and on a level surface. You can see the bottom of the clutch pack is in the oil (just barely in the oil when at the lowest level), but should be almost out, if not totally out, when the motor is running.

Perhaps the splashing he was seeing was because the oil level was high enough to touch the clutch. Or maybe it's the secondary shaft gear, which sits directly behind the clutch. The secondary gear is probably in the oil at all times, as it is lower than the clutch.

I can confirm that oil level too high does lead to clutch slippage (as is stated in the FSM).

Here is a still of the levels:

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2016 08:40 by loudhvx.

More
09 Aug 2016 09:15 #737987 by shamal
Replied by shamal on topic Sight glass panic- (2)
Awesome reply mate!!!! Thank you.
All i can say is that im sure what i See is NOT splashing, but is barely oil sitting around the min mark.
When my engine is cold and off my oil level OS at the max mark, but i have never had clutch slippage.
At this point i think is normal what i See when the oil is very very hot. .

1983 kz 550 h