Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair

More
16 Jul 2016 16:34 #735178 by diego092409
Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair was created by diego092409
I was working on my "old red" project again after several months. Years ago when I was trying re assemble my bikes top end between home improvement projects I used a bolt that was 5 mm too long that broke off when it bottomed out in the head.

After putting it together last fall and running up the road and back as a test ride it was leaking worse than the original leak which cause me to put old red on the shelf 12 years ago when I originally tore it apart. Today armed with an top end gasket set I have sworn to fixed the bodger's to fix this cam cover bolt hole. I need to fill in the hole that I created from trying to put a helicoil to allow me to half assedly install the cam cover before.

I feel I have 2 options, an epoxy filler like lab metal high temp or alumiweld aluminum brazing rod. I think the brazing rod will be a better solution but I am concerned about melting the paint on the head and creating a bigger mess. Any suggestions?

Please be gentle, I know I did a shitty job on my original repair, now I have the engine apart and want to make it oil tight once and for all.

1982 KZ1100 B2 - 'Old Red' kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601185-gpz-1100-resto-mod-old-red
2015 BMW K1600GT
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R
2018 Kymco Spade (wife's)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jul 2016 17:22 #735181 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair
You need to get the original bolt out first. I would grind it flush, put the valve cover on and use it as a guide with a drill bit fitting the hole in the cover. I'd drill just enough to have a starter hole in the top of the bolt if it's centered. Then I'd use a drill for the helicoil to drill until it bottoms. You might be able to pick the steel threads out. At that point I would have the hole fill in welded. I'd grind it flush and use the valve cover to make another starter hole, drill, tap and install a Heli Coil.
Steve
BTW, you'll want to have the cam cover bolts in so the cover will be in the right position.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
16 Jul 2016 17:43 #735184 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair
Not as bad as you might think. I see the head is off the engine - I am correct on this?

If so - do yourself a big favor and take it, and the valve cover, to a machine shop and have them repair it on a milling machine. Bring the head to a few shops and get some quotes. Likely it will only cost about $50; money well spent!

It is very difficult to drill the steel bolt out of the aluminum head without having a twist drill wander off and into the aluminum, as you have already found out. On a milling machine, they will use an end mill to precisely remove the old bolt without further damage to the head. Then the hole can be drilled and tapped for a thread insert, which will be stronger and more permanent than an epoxy filler (like JB weld) could ever be...

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
16 Jul 2016 18:13 #735186 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair
Find a local shop who does MDM machining,it's like an arc weld,but destroys stuck bolts like what you've got.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
16 Jul 2016 20:20 - 16 Jul 2016 20:21 #735205 by JoHNY
Replied by JoHNY on topic Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair
What Kray-Z said.

It's worth the few extra £ to get it right. I've had the same issue over the years and ended up wasting hours and hours with worse results. Unless you have the correct tools IMO you'll just make more of a mess

Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN
Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 20:21 by JoHNY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
18 Jul 2016 17:37 #735381 by diego092409
Replied by diego092409 on topic Re:Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair
I got the remains of the bolt out this evening.

I will call around tomorrow about getting the hole filled and the head decked out on top so that the cam cover gets tight.

Would it be worthwhile getting the jugs decked on top to help sealing the head? Should I be having any thing else done while I am at it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1982 KZ1100 B2 - 'Old Red' kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601185-gpz-1100-resto-mod-old-red
2015 BMW K1600GT
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jul 2016 19:17 #735389 by SWest

More
19 Jul 2016 04:59 #735418 by diego092409
Replied by diego092409 on topic Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair
I want to make this thing oil tight once and for all.

Any tips to make sure it is completely oil tight? Also, what is the secret to getting the old gasket off between the crankcase and the jugs?

2015 BMW K1600GT
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R

More
19 Jul 2016 11:14 #735448 by diego092409
I stopped in my local machine shop at lunch today and they said they don't tig aluminum. They suggested drilling another hole deep and threading that hole, I am dubious about that.

They did suggest a guy who may be able to fill in the hole who does this type of thing.

I had found in another forum where someone had suggested filling the hole with aluminum self-fluxing brazing. Does anyone have any experience with that.

2015 BMW K1600GT
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Jul 2016 12:20 #735454 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair
Bad idea. Doing that can deform the casting. Get someone that does aluminum Tig welding. He will more than likely know what to do next.
Steve

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
19 Jul 2016 13:44 #735472 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Cam cover bolt threaded hole repair
Hey, how bad is the damage? I would install a thread repair insert, like a time-sert or similar (not a heli-coil - its too late for that) judging from your initial photos. No welding required, but it should be done by a competent machine shop. Most automotive and industrial machine shops deal with broken bolt removal and repair on a regular basis - try to find one of those that has a vertical milling machine in their arsenal.

If you must fill with TIG weld, you'll need to machine the gasket surface flat afterward (you might get away with carefully filing it down), and probably need to use RTV sealant on the gasket in at least two places because the weld will invariably leave a tiny depression or channel in the surface where the weld puddle meets the original surface.

Don't bother with a filler epoxy or brazing in a filler in this situation - waste of time, money and effort IMHO. Go the full 50 yards and do it right the first time.

Only have the cylinder block top machined (surfaced) if it is warped or otherwise damaged. Do the usual checks with a straight edge and feeler gauges as per the factory service manual. If it passes - leave it be. Check the head surface, too. The head gasket mating surfaces should only be machined flat on a large machine designed specifically for this purpose - usually found at automotive machine shops only.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
07 Aug 2016 16:17 #737746 by diego092409
I have gotten the hole filled up and am going to take the head to the machine shop to get the excess weld planed flat so that I it can seal the gasket.

In the course of taking it apart, I noticed that the chain guides need replaced and pulled the jugs so I could pull the rear cam guide. Here is the quandary that I have been contemplating while waiting for funds to recoup from the first of the month. Do I take the jugs to the machine shop also so that they can be honed and/or checked out for being spec and install new rings? Do the former and forgo the latter? forgo both?

This is not going to be ridden a lot once it running perhaps 1 week for a short commute, I want something that doesn't smoke or take oil, and that doesn't leak but I am not going to be racing it anywhere. More or less a cruiser bike to go on evening jaunts and to commute occasionally, so I am looking for reliability.

The engine has 28K miles on it. It ran well 12 years ago when I tore it apart to fix the leading oil rings. I am not wanting to take it apart again. I humbly request your feed back.

2015 BMW K1600GT
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R