Installing Webcamshafts

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 May 2016 21:49 #726480 by SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2016 22:41 #726481 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Installing Webcamshafts

Patton wrote: Perhaps will make more sense:
Click here > www.kzrider.com/filebase/download/27-gen...egreeing-for-zombies

Good Fortune! :)

Patton to the rescue again. Thank you for the link, I figured out what I was doing wrong. The dial indicator needs to ride on the shim bucket, not on the cam. If you guys want me to document this I can but the file download Patton linked has all the info you cold need.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
18 May 2016 23:02 #727369 by kaw-a-holic

DFIGPZ wrote: Yes I have done many I degree them all.

Any chance you can post a pic of what you use with your dial indicator to ride on the shim bucket? I have tried a couple of different things but the shim bucket always spins when the lobe is not applying pressure to it. Any suggestions?

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
20 May 2016 13:43 #727632 by kaw-a-holic

kaw-a-holic wrote:

DFIGPZ wrote: Yes I have done many I degree them all.

Any chance you can post a pic of what you use with your dial indicator to ride on the shim bucket? I have tried a couple of different things but the shim bucket always spins when the lobe is not applying pressure to it. Any suggestions?

I love ah-ha moments. Re-read the cam timing instructions. I apparently did not pay attention to the "remove valve lash" portion the first time. Leaving the valve lash is what is allowing the shim bucket to spin. For those of you who may not understand the term "valve lash", this is the clearance between the base circle of the camshaft lobe and the camshaft follower or tappet (shim bucket).

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
31 May 2016 20:58 #729441 by kaw-a-holic
So I get to join the ranks of installing Helicoils in cam cap towers. 20 steps back to make one step forward. I knew it was just a matter of time with as many times as I have had the cams in and out.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Jun 2016 06:26 #729470 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Installing Webcamshafts
I was tempted to replace all my threads with the coils. I had three strip while riding about 30 miles from home. Pulled the cover off but there was nothing I could do so I limped home. Hate it when that happens. :dry:
Maybe with the more aggressive cams all the threads should be done. Wish I could be of more help on the cams. Keep us posted. I'd like to learn about it too. :huh:
Steve

More
01 Jun 2016 20:57 #729591 by kaw-a-holic

swest wrote: I was tempted to replace all my threads with the coils. I had three strip while riding about 30 miles from home. Pulled the cover off but there was nothing I could do so I limped home. Hate it when that happens. :dry:
Maybe with the more aggressive cams all the threads should be done. Wish I could be of more help on the cams. Keep us posted. I'd like to learn about it too. :huh:
Steve

Thanks Steve, I know it would happen eventually. I will take a look at all of them and replace any of them that are questionable. To be honest, the documentation that OMR put together is on point.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Jun 2016 21:12 #729592 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Installing Webcamshafts
I've learned a lot about the different models in the short time I've been here. Something new every day. B)
Steve

More
02 Jun 2016 04:46 #729611 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Installing Webcamshafts
I know I sound like a broken record but I went ahead and replace all 16 at the start as I knew they would be taken on and off more than a few times and with the added stress of the APE springs that just adds to it ...... bigger cams hopefully are someday in my future too. ;)

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.