Are any oil filters NOT made in China?

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 Apr 2016 14:18 - 15 Apr 2016 14:37 #721113 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Are any oil filters NOT made in China?

650ed wrote: Here's what I have found. The K&N filters made in Thailand (see 1st image below) each have 61 pleats and the ends of the filter media are clamped together tightly with a steel piece. The K&N filters made in China (see 2nd image below) each have 57 pleats and the ends of the filter media are glued together (just hope the glue never fails). Also, while the height of all the Thailand made filters are exactly the same, the height of the Chinese made filters vary by 3/16". I'm sure machines are used to made all the filters, but the Chinese filters contain less filter media and apparently their machines are not all calibrated to consistently produce identical filters. Ed

China is the world leader in manufacturing. They make a lot of very high quality goods, and some junk.

Many foreign companies have gone to China and set up factories. When they do this they bring their specifications and know how with them and goods manufactured in those plants are generally as good as those produced elsewhere. In the case of K&N it would be interesting to understand if they set up their own factory or if they are using some contract manufacturer to make the filters. In either case I'd blame K&N if the quality is poor, not the Chinese.

I think where you need to be very careful is when purchasing generic Chinese goods. Stuff like Harbor Freight sells. Some of these products are fine but there is also some crap too. Hit or miss and the company proper has no real concern with their reputation as it relates to long term success. These companies are out to make a buck in the short term, not long term.

As an aside, China is in trouble these days because their economy relies too much on manufacturing goods for export. They have way too much capacity and some of these businesses don't understand the realities about pricing in a way to assure their own survival. Case in point is a friend that needed some shoe strings. He saw on ebay where some Chinese company on the mainland was selling two pairs for $.99. He order them and received several messages from someone that was processing his order. In the end he received the shoe strings for less than it cost to mail them, not to mention all the time of the person that processed the order. Just amazing.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2016 14:37 by Nessism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2016 14:32 - 15 Apr 2016 14:33 #721115 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Are any oil filters NOT made in China?
I certainly agree that responsibility for the problem lies with K&N. If they wanted the Chinese manufacturer to make the same quality product as the Thai manufacturer they would insist upon that being done. Instead, K&N clearly decided to accept the manufacturing of filters with less filter media since the reduced number of pleats was the same in each of the 6 Chinese filters I measured (K&N may even have specified the reduction). K&N also must have approved the glue method of joining the ends of the filter media rather than insisting on a metal clip since that change is obvious even to the casual observer.

The Chinese factory that now makes the K&N filters apparently also makes the Mobil-1 filters. I very recently compared the two and found them to be identical in every way except for the color of the filter media (K&N is red; Mobil-1 is yellow). The rubber o-rings on the filters even have the same number molded into them. I guess one day every bike oil filter on the planet will be made in that factory. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 15 Apr 2016 14:33 by 650ed.

More
15 Apr 2016 14:57 #721120 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Are any oil filters NOT made in China?
Kind of ironic in a way.
We came from the old toilet paper roll filters "back in the day" to apparently crappy made in China filters today.
More things that make you go "Hmmmm?" B)

More
15 Apr 2016 17:03 - 15 Apr 2016 17:04 #721137 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Are any oil filters NOT made in China?
Many Chinese manufacturers are completely unscrupulous. An old business acquaintance of mine who made limited runs of high end and custom equipment decided to move down market a bit with some mid-priced models. He made the designs and prototypes, but British labor and tax costs made domestic manufacture too expensive, so he contracted with a Chinese company to make the parts which would be assembled in England. The quality of the parts was wildly inconsistent, and within a year, some of his competitors were selling his equipment with their company logo. The Chinese manufacturer was selling his parts to anybody and putting their company logo on them.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 15 Apr 2016 17:04 by TexasKZ.

More
16 Apr 2016 06:22 - 16 Apr 2016 06:23 #721183 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic Are any oil filters NOT made in China?
There is a local store that guarantees their products. I broke and returned every Chinese piece of crap that I bought there. I also don't see as many Chinese products for sale there anymore.......coincidence?

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2016 06:23 by toolmaker.

More
16 Apr 2016 09:21 #721214 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Are any oil filters NOT made in China?
Hmmmm.... Ok, here's my two worthless cents on this.... :whistle: :ohmy: :laugh:

Any longer, it's 50/50 crap-shoot regardless of where it was manufactured/buy it from.... China, Japan, Europe, USA etc....
Hell I've (we've all) received some real crap craftsmanship/parts over the years from right here in the ole USA, I mean some truly BS garbage.

Example: 4.5" angle grinder (HFT) I've paid higher $$$ expecting better quality, longevity, craftsmanship etc... 1-2 years POS died on me.... Turned out no better than the harbor freight tool @ $9 I bought 7 years ago at the start of my build, still have it, have beat the piss out of this over the years and it still grinds metal just as it did brand new....

So, again 50/50 crap-shoot.... Just the way it is.....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
16 Apr 2016 15:55 #721277 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Are any oil filters NOT made in China?
One more reason that nearly all my tools are 40 - 60 years old. The old Porter Cable; Milwaukee; Disston; Dewalt; SK Wayne; Ridgid; etc. tools were REALLY well made, rugged, professional level tools that would last more than one's lifetime. So much of the new stuff, much of which has plastic housings, etc., simply does not compare. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Apr 2016 16:15 #721278 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Are any oil filters NOT made in China?

650ed wrote: One more reason that nearly all my tools are 40 - 60 years old. The old Porter Cable; Milwaukee; Disston; Dewalt; SK Wayne; Ridgid; etc. tools were REALLY well made, rugged, professional level tools that would last more than one's lifetime. So much of the new stuff, much of which has plastic housings, etc., simply does not compare. Ed

I agree , they don't make things like they used to, :(
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Apr 2016 16:58 #721292 by SWest

More
17 Apr 2016 06:53 #721376 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic Are any oil filters NOT made in China?
I buy cheap tools (or used) if I need it once but buy the best if I use it all the time.....and I'm in the business! :dry:

TM

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Apr 2016 06:56 #721378 by SWest