Chain rattles, carbs are synchronized.

More
04 Apr 2016 11:09 - 04 Apr 2016 11:12 #719236 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic Chain rattles, carbs are synchronized.
Original owner! You can sell it pretty good!
And then you can buy mine as upgrade! :P
How many times did you replace drive chain?

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920
Last edit: 04 Apr 2016 11:12 by car5car.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Apr 2016 14:04 #719253 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Chain rattles, carbs are synchronized.
You can keep yours. Three speedo's and the last one I took off said 81000 miles. It just keeps getting better and better. B)
Steve

More
04 Apr 2016 14:24 #719256 by strum
Replied by strum on topic Chain rattles, carbs are synchronized.
defiantly its an auto tensioner you can take it off and take out the little 10mm screw hold it upside down do the bearing will relase, push the plinger all the way back and put the bolt back it. it will rest on a small shoulder to hold the plunger then after the install youll lossen the bolt. youll hear the plunger snap back out and against the guide then then you run the bolt back in. it doesn't hold anything at this point as the plunger will move foward as needed to take up tension.
Not trying to be mean but if you had and offer for 1,900 you should take it and move on.

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)

More
04 Apr 2016 14:48 #719258 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Chain rattles, carbs are synchronized.

car5car wrote:
Which one of rollers was worst in you bike? How many miles did your bike have when you replaced rollers?
I used windshield urethane to repair suspension bushing on my Mercedes. Urethane lasts forever and harder than rubber.
How was condition of needle bearings?

You are looking at around 40k miles average lifespan for cam chain and associated parts.
Rubber items are affected by age , heat and combustion acids in the oil so hit and miss how long they last depending on how well the motors been treated.
Non driven Idler sprocket teeth can last years and years if the cam chain is changed before it is stretched beyond it's limit.
Needle rollers are the last thing to go and can be bought from most bearing factors .
They are one of the only parts that are imperial.
Rubber centres can be replaced by aluminium and the tensioner roller can be converted to idler sprocket if you use a modified Z650 bracket.
Plain bottom roller is the only one that needs to be oem. No one has made a replacement that lasts as well as the original equipment .
I've seen nylon and polyethylene etc tried and they all get ripped to shreds in no time.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
04 Apr 2016 15:18 #719261 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic Chain rattles, carbs are synchronized.
How many rollers will I see under valve cover? Can I check them all w/o removing head?

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Apr 2016 15:55 #719263 by SWest
They're buried, you can barely see them with the cams out. The idler between the cams on top will tell how worn the sprockets are but not the tensioner.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Apr 2016 18:07 #719289 by SWest

car5car wrote: Original owner! You can sell it pretty good!
And then you can buy mine as upgrade! :P
How many times did you replace drive chain?

There are some people in this world that don't have a price. I for one have things that have been handed down to me and what I have will be handed to my deserving children and grandchildren. As for selling the bike to buy yours I would consider as a downgrade. On her worst days she could leave yours for dead and look better doing it. :lol: :woohoo: :evil:
Steve