Cam cap bolts stripped

More
27 Dec 2015 10:22 #704543 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Cam cap bolts stripped
When doing one (or 16 as it were) of these thread repairs be very careful to drill and tap the hole straight. If the head is off the bike using a drill press can help. It's quite easy to install the insert crooked so please take your time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2015 11:12 #704551 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Cam cap bolts stripped

LarryC wrote: See this all the time..... Just had to repair all 16 holes in a head. All got helicoils. You can't easily use time-certs on cam tower bolt holes. Helicoils are much easier for that application and will suffice.

Have had heads come in with broken off drill bits and broke off taps in the same hole. Those are always fun.

It's always the 4 bolt caps you see this with. Rarely do you see a 2 bolt cap with stripped out holes. THAT ought to tell you that dowel pins located on opposing corners of a 4 bolt cap require a little bit of attention when installing the caps. The problem that causes this is almost always binding on the dowel pins because of improper tightening and not paying attention to checking the pins for burrs, the cap for burrs and making sure the pin is in the head with the tapered end up.....and last but not least.... apply some oil to the dowel pins, the caps and the bolt threads.

As long as these motors are around there will be stripped cam tower bolt holes. That's as certain as the sun rising in the east.

Larry don't forget to mention the idiots that should not ever have a wrench in hand ! :evil:

1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
28 Dec 2015 05:51 #704617 by Kz_Café
Replied by Kz_Café on topic Cam cap bolts stripped
So I went with the helicoils. A previous contributor pointed out there's a special tap timeserts use to get the insert below the bolting surface and it doesn't seem to work for this application.

I think I saw someone mention using locktite to secure the coil in place, any opinions? I've got about a week and a half to think about it with my thumb up my bum. I guess I'll continue degreasing and other bits of maintinence from my factory service manual.

I'll be sure to post pictures and such on how it went and how I feel about the product.

Cheers!

1982 KZ550 LTD: Mechanicaly stock, Unknown milage.

More
28 Dec 2015 05:54 #704618 by Kz_Café

DFIGPZ wrote:

LarryC wrote: See this all the time..... Just had to repair all 16 holes in a head. All got helicoils. You can't easily use time-certs on cam tower bolt holes. Helicoils are much easier for that application and will suffice.

Have had heads come in with broken off drill bits and broke off taps in the same hole. Those are always fun.

It's always the 4 bolt caps you see this with. Rarely do you see a 2 bolt cap with stripped out holes. THAT ought to tell you that dowel pins located on opposing corners of a 4 bolt cap require a little bit of attention when installing the caps. The problem that causes this is almost always binding on the dowel pins because of improper tightening and not paying attention to checking the pins for burrs, the cap for burrs and making sure the pin is in the head with the tapered end up.....and last but not least.... apply some oil to the dowel pins, the caps and the bolt threads.

As long as these motors are around there will be stripped cam tower bolt holes. That's as certain as the sun rising in the east.

Larry don't forget to mention the idiots that should not ever have a wrench in hand ! :evil:

Let's not forget that good judgement is learned from bad judgement, and sometimes bad judgement is catestrophic, and that shouldn't stop us from mentoring the ignorant.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Dec 2015 07:28 #704624 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam cap bolts stripped
Ignorance is treatable. There's no cure for stupid. :lol:
Steve

More
28 Dec 2015 08:27 #704628 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cam cap bolts stripped

Kz_Café wrote: I think I saw someone mention using locktite to secure the coil in place, any opinions? .
Cheers!

Don't bother with Loctite as it is "Anaerobic" which means it only cures in the ABSENCE of air and therefore not suitable with the inserts open coil design.
The locking action of the insert expanding once installed is sufficient.
Do not use Loctite on a Helicoil/Wire coiled insert repaired hole as the Loctite can bond the insert to the bolt which can then lead to the insert winding out with the bolt on removal at a later date.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kz_Café

More
28 Dec 2015 10:39 #704637 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Cam cap bolts stripped
I followed these instructions and have had no issue in doing so....

Helicoil Instructions/procedure

Rather than just relying on the HeliCoil spring tension to retain the insert, is there any way to positively lock the insert into the housing threads?
The following methods are recommended to help secure an insert into the housing...

Apply a light coating of Loctite Thread-Locker compound to the external portion of the coils of the insert prior to threading it into the housing. If this method is used, be sure not to apply too much Loctite and be sure to wipe the internal threads of the HeliCoil insert clean after it is installed so that the fastener does not bond to the insert.

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kz_Café

More
29 Dec 2015 06:21 #704728 by Kz_Café
Interesting, I see both sides of the coin. Kinda seems like risky business applying locktite to the coil, how about a light coating in the outer thread the coil inserts to. Seems like a viable option to mitigate any excess thread locker getting on the bolt and binding everything up.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Dec 2015 06:37 #704734 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam cap bolts stripped
I haven't needed it and never had one come out.
Steve

More
29 Dec 2015 08:13 #704750 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Cam cap bolts stripped
I have installed dozens of helicoils in cam cap bolt holes, never had any that came back out and I installed all of them dry.

More
29 Dec 2015 10:35 - 29 Dec 2015 10:40 #704781 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Cam cap bolts stripped
I would also vote dry. Imagine the headache if some Loctite ends up on the bolt. Loctite can stay liquid a long time in open air.

BTW, 550's have all two-bolt caps. No four-bolt caps.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2015 10:40 by loudhvx.

More
29 Dec 2015 11:25 #704787 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Cam cap bolts stripped
Had 2 I trust outta 4 say to use it and 2 not......... Jay from APE was the 5th and deciding vote with another no on the locktite. (After driving 50 miles for a high temp special red too). :S

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.