Threaded hole on starter damaged that holds cover

More
17 Nov 2015 09:12 - 17 Nov 2015 09:16 #699107 by akolleth
Sorry swest you are actually wrong on both accounts LOL, I am a HE, at least last time I checked down below. Lets see... yep still have the ole' bait and tackle set in working order. :lol: Never assume just by a persons avatar-

It is as Nessism said. Its the short threaded protrusion that comes out of the starter body. It is a molded part of the main starter body and is threaded so the bolt from the cover can thread into it. The protrusion (for lack of the correct terminology) has snapped off, leaving no where for the bolt on the cover to thread into.

This isn't my pic, but you get the idea here on the protrusions I am taking about-

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 09:16 by akolleth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2015 09:14 - 17 Nov 2015 09:19 #699108 by akolleth
So I like the idea of seeing if I can epoxy/ maybe even weld in a nut where the protrusion is supposed to be. That way the bolt from the starter cover will have something solid to screw into, thereby allowing the starter cover to pull tight on the gasket.

Worst case scenario I would imagine that I can find a starter that is blown internally, but with an intact physical body. Then do a swap a roo of the internals and Bobs my uncle. He really is....my uncle that is.....

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 09:19 by akolleth.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Nov 2015 11:00 #699124 by SWest
So the aluminum casting is broken. What bike is it? Some parts are dirt cheap on some models. Glad to hear your plumbing is in tact. :S I mixed you up with another poster. My bad. :blush:
Steve

More
17 Nov 2015 11:05 #699125 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Threaded hole on starter damaged that holds cover

akolleth wrote: So I like the idea of seeing if I can epoxy/ maybe even weld in a nut where the protrusion is supposed to be. That way the bolt from the starter cover will have something solid to screw into, thereby allowing the starter cover to pull tight on the gasket.

Worst case scenario I would imagine that I can find a starter that is blown internally, but with an intact physical body. Then do a swap a roo of the internals and Bobs my uncle. He really is....my uncle that is.....

If you still have the protrusion, as you call it :laugh: , you can probably use some J B weld to reattach it
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

More
17 Nov 2015 14:13 - 17 Nov 2015 14:21 #699141 by akolleth

pete greek1 wrote:
If you still have the protrusion, as you call it :laugh: , you can probably use some J B weld to reattach it
Pete

Unfortunately the PO and his gorilla hands were the culprit in snapping off my protrusion I would assume. Either way the damage was done before I took ownership. I only noticed after getting her home and going over it a little more thoroughly than my basic inspection for purchasing it. .

swest wrote: So the aluminum casting is broken. What bike is it? Some parts are dirt cheap on some models. Glad to hear your plumbing is in tact. :S I mixed you up with another poster. My bad. :blush:
Steve

No worries, I was just giving you guff-- As far as the bike its a 1982 KZ750H aka 750 Ltd

Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 14:21 by akolleth.