Threaded hole on starter damaged that holds cover

More
16 Nov 2015 03:46 - 16 Nov 2015 03:48 #698900 by akolleth
So I am going over my new to me 82 KZ750H. One thing I noticed as I was working on the exhaust is the starter cover is missing. And one of the threaded holes on the starter itself (that hold the starter cover in place) is broken. Hence probably the reason the cover is missing. Well I can find a new cover on Ebay real cheap, not worried about that.

Question is, since the cover will only be held in place by one screw, in stead of the two it should have, will it be a problem with damage getting into the starter? I can get a starter body for not too bad on Ebay, maybe even its a good idea to rebuild the starter now (even though its running fine?)

Or am I overthinking this, put the cover on with one screw and get out and ride it already?

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2015 03:48 by akolleth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2015 07:42 #698941 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Threaded hole on starter damaged that holds cover
Depends how much money you want to spend. Getting a 'new' starter motor and rebuilding it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. Alternatively this is a situation where it would be fine to improvise something, like expoxying an appropriately sized nut onto the starter where the threaded post used to be.

Yeah, you can ride it with just the one screw. It's fine.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
16 Nov 2015 08:09 #698948 by akolleth

jackleberry wrote: Alternatively this is a situation where it would be fine to improvise something, like expoxying an appropriately sized nut onto the starter where the threaded post used to be.

thanks, that's a great idea. Its not going to cost anything to try and wont damage the starter body any more than it already is.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Nov 2015 08:20 #698950 by SWest
Pic? If it's the outside one, you may be able to drill it out and extract the bolt.
Steve

More
16 Nov 2015 14:59 #698997 by akolleth
Its not the bolt from the cover that is broken, its the threaded shaft which is integral to the starter body. That is snapped off

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Nov 2015 15:23 #699003 by SWest
You mean the long bolt that holds it together? I'd start looking for a new one before this one stops working.
Steve

More
16 Nov 2015 15:26 #699004 by Nessism
He's talking about the short bore holes that hold on the chrome cover/rain shield.

I'd jerryrig something together.

More
17 Nov 2015 04:14 - 17 Nov 2015 04:20 #699064 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Threaded hole on starter damaged that holds cover
I would consider using a high temp sealant to glue the starter cover in place, especially if the jerry-rigging isn't doable.
I'm not a fan of using goop to repair mistakes, but in this case it might be appropriate.
For the bolt hole you could use a short M6 bolt/nut/washer & seal it w sealant or use a nitrile or viton o-ring.

Permatex RTV black silicone temp range is up to 450o F.
www.permatex.com/products-2/product-cate...esive-sealant-detail
Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 04:20 by martin_csr.

More
17 Nov 2015 06:56 #699089 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Threaded hole on starter damaged that holds cover
I thought of suggesting gluing it on too, but that would be a PITA whenever you needed to remove the sprocket cover. Also, messy.

However, another idea comes to mind... How about just gluing a neodymium magnet to the underside of the cover? That should hold it on, no bolts required (would have to plug those holes though).

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Nov 2015 07:04 #699092 by SWest

More
17 Nov 2015 08:24 - 17 Nov 2015 08:26 #699101 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Threaded hole on starter damaged that holds cover

I thought of suggesting gluing it on too, but that would be a PITA whenever you needed to remove the sprocket cover. Also, messy. ....

That's a good point. I was thinking he might not have to remove the engine/sprocket cover very often, and if he applied an appropriate amount of the stuff & used masking tape to do a clean job, maybe it won't be that big of a deal. ??? The goopy idea is a last resort sort of thing, in case the thread repair doesn't work. :)
Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 08:26 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Nov 2015 08:39 #699104 by SWest
It's she and I suspect I was right all along. If it's the cover bolt on the outside, it can be drilled and extracted. If it's the one towards the middle of the engine, the carbs can be taken off, then drilled and extracted. I don't care much for jury rigging something that can be fixed right with a little effort.
Steve