piston rings

More
02 Nov 2015 17:46 #696953 by blink543
piston rings was created by blink543
When I took my bike to a mechanic before he did a compression test and said one of my cylinders were lower on compression. So how would I go about changing my rings? I've looked online and it's kinda hard to find them. Would I replace them with stock size rings or +1 size? It only has like 27,000 miles on it now. 78 kz650b

Adam james

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2015 18:15 #696960 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic piston rings
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationStock size.

If money is tight...
Otherwise, get original Kawasaki rings...13008-059 RING SET,PISTON,STD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Nov 2015 18:24 #696962 by SWest

More
03 Nov 2015 03:31 #696988 by Nessism
BTW, make sure the valves are adjusted properly before attempting to perform a compression test. A lot of idiots never adjust the valves and before long the clearance is gone and the valves don't close properly (leading to poor compression). Also, if the bike hasn't run in a while you can not perform a proper compression test anyway.

When rehabbing a bike that has sat for a year or longer first thing to do is make sure the valves are adjusted and then focus on spark and carbs. Get the bike running and then perform a proper Italian tune up on it. After a good hard tank of fuel is run through the engine THEN you can try that compression test. You will see a significant increase in compression at that point compared to testing a barn find bike that hasn't run in a while.

More
03 Nov 2015 07:33 #697014 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic piston rings

Nessism wrote: BTW, make sure the valves are adjusted properly before attempting to perform a compression test. A lot of idiots never adjust the valves and before long the clearance is gone and the valves don't close properly (leading to poor compression). Also, if the bike hasn't run in a while you can not perform a proper compression test anyway.

When rehabbing a bike that has sat for a year or longer first thing to do is make sure the valves are adjusted and then focus on spark and carbs. Get the bike running and then perform a proper Italian tune up on it. After a good hard tank of fuel is run through the engine THEN you can try that compression test. You will see a significant increase in compression at that point compared to testing a barn find bike that hasn't run in a while.

Should probably add 'change the oil' to that list as well (before the italian tune up bit). Would also be an appropriate time to add seafoam/MMO/whatever to the crankcase.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
03 Nov 2015 08:48 #697027 by Nessism

jackleberry wrote:

Nessism wrote: BTW, make sure the valves are adjusted properly before attempting to perform a compression test. A lot of idiots never adjust the valves and before long the clearance is gone and the valves don't close properly (leading to poor compression). Also, if the bike hasn't run in a while you can not perform a proper compression test anyway.

Should probably add 'change the oil' to that list as well (before the italian tune up bit). Would also be an appropriate time to add seafoam/MMO/whatever to the crankcase.

I'm not a big fan of oil additives. Some MMO in the gas tank is a good idea though. It will help loosen up any carbon in the ring grooves. Back to the oil, if someone wants to flush out any sludge that may have accumulated I'd simply put the bike on a 1000-1500 mile oil change schedule. Use a high detergent oil like diesel engine oil too. This method will get rid of the sludge slowly and not dilute your oil. The problem with oil additives that reduce viscosity is that you can't get all of them out during the change.

More
03 Nov 2015 09:53 #697037 by Kapahulu
Replied by Kapahulu on topic piston rings
Regarding your question about +1 size, that's probably for the next larger sized piston (first overbore.) If you're on stock bore, you want stock size piston rings.

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

More
03 Nov 2015 10:49 - 03 Nov 2015 10:51 #697049 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic piston rings

blink543 wrote: When I took my bike to a mechanic before he did a compression test and said one of my cylinders were lower on compression. So how would I go about changing my rings? I've looked online and it's kinda hard to find them. Would I replace them with stock size rings or +1 size? It only has like 27,000 miles on it now. 78 kz650b

You need to bore and go up size on the pistons and rings. +1 is 1mm oversize, there are also 0.5mm sets.

I am very surprised you need rings at only 27k miles. Make sure it isn't just valves which it usually is. You get oil crud build up on the valve seat and then the valves don't seat tight.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 10:51 by bountyhunter.

More
03 Nov 2015 12:33 #697067 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic piston rings

bountyhunter wrote:

blink543 wrote: When I took my bike to a mechanic before he did a compression test and said one of my cylinders were lower on compression. So how would I go about changing my rings? I've looked online and it's kinda hard to find them. Would I replace them with stock size rings or +1 size? It only has like 27,000 miles on it now. 78 kz650b

You need to bore and go up size on the pistons and rings. +1 is 1mm oversize, there are also 0.5mm sets.

I am very surprised you need rings at only 27k miles. Make sure it isn't just valves which it usually is. You get oil crud build up on the valve seat and then the valves don't seat tight.

Well Its blowing blue smoke on start up for a while. So where's the oil burning coming from? I adjusted the valves a few months ago in the summer

Adam james

More
03 Nov 2015 13:46 #697077 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic piston rings

blink543 wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Well Its blowing blue smoke on start up for a while. So where's the oil burning coming from? I adjusted the valves a few months ago in the summer

Smoke on startup is probably valve guide seals.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
03 Nov 2015 14:06 #697078 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic piston rings
Did you do a wet test as well to ensure it's the piston rings? If not, it's a good way to tell if it's your guides or rings.

Do a compression test on all cylinders - you say one is low. Now put a small amount of oil in the cylinder with an eyedropper, and repeat for each cylinder. The excess oil will seal better, so if your compression jumps significantly, you know it's the rings.

It's good to do the wet test on all cylinders, as you will have a comparison to work with. It's not unlikely it will raise the compression on all your cylinders, but if the one reading a low compression jumps up a lot more than the others, it's the rings. If they all stay much the same or all increase just a little, it's more likely to be a valve.

1981 KZ750 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: ErlingW

More
03 Nov 2015 14:59 #697083 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic piston rings

Irish Yobbo wrote: Did you do a wet test as well to ensure it's the piston rings? If not, it's a good way to tell if it's your guides or rings.

Do a compression test on all cylinders - you say one is low. Now put a small amount of oil in the cylinder with an eyedropper, and repeat for each cylinder. The excess oil will seal better, so if your compression jumps significantly, you know it's the rings.

It's good to do the wet test on all cylinders, as you will have a comparison to work with. It's not unlikely it will raise the compression on all your cylinders, but if the one reading a low compression jumps up a lot more than the others, it's the rings. If they all stay much the same or all increase just a little, it's more likely to be a valve.

It might be a valve. I'm planning on switching out the top end anyways with a used top because my tach holder snapped off because of my dumbass. So how might I see if the valve seals are good on the other top that I'm switching to? Also it's a bit rusty in the inlet ports of the other head piece I'll send pics later

Adam james