Any mechanics in AK looking for a winter rebuild?

More
15 Oct 2015 03:00 #694630 by GPzMOD750
They don't learn their trade anymore. They are taught how to hook up the diagnostic machines then swap parts. At best they are taught how to read the FSM. If it isn't covered or corrected by those 2 sources they are at a loss. There is no practical diagnosis or trouble shooting involved.

It's been like that for cars for decades. Its catching up to other machines as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaraGraz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Oct 2015 04:26 #694634 by SWest
I'd love to put one of them in a room with a bike that has one tooth off on the cam chain, tell him he gets $1000 if he can find the problem without anything and lock him in there until he does. On the other hand that might be deemed murder. Never mind. :whistle:
Steve

More
15 Oct 2015 07:31 #694647 by MDZ1rider
Is there a drag strip anywhere nearby? Find out when they run bikes and go cruise the pits. You'll find somebody running an old KZ that can probably fix your bike with their eyes closed. Drag racers are always broke and looking to pick up some extra money to support their habit.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
15 Oct 2015 12:37 - 15 Oct 2015 12:38 #694665 by Kapahulu

SaraGraz wrote: Hey Kapahulu!

Thanks for the offer. The thing is this: without the issue(s) being properly diagnosed, I cannot be certain of what parts I need. And like I said, I am not a mechanic, so the availability of tools is possible, but would need to be pre-set up with folks I know in town. I tried to get a list of parts from Z1Enterprises to see what I needed for an engine re-build, but the response I got was vague because he didn't know what needed to be fixed.

I'd love to fly you up here...but the reality is (like all mechanical things) that 1 week is likely not long enough to diagnose the problem(s), get the parts and do the job...so, until I can get more clear answers, I don't know what to do. I'll be back in touch if flying you out seems like a feasible option. Thanks!!

If you get a shop manual and go through the basics it should at least give you an idea about what needs to be done. Check compression, ignition timing, clean the carbs and valve adjustment. All basic stuff. Might not need to do anymore than take the carbs off then the cam cover to check valve clearance.

I might visit there this summer. My dad lives near West High School. If I visit on a family trip I can only spend a day or two checking the bike out.

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com
Last edit: 15 Oct 2015 12:38 by Kapahulu.

More
15 Oct 2015 19:13 #694710 by kz n az
You can do this believe me. Im a 65 yr old x-Frammer who never had a motorcycle motor apart.
I got a manual and read it about 6 times front to back. I bought an 80 750h that turn out to be a mess.
Its not as complex as you think. The Forum here is a great source, and most everyone will walk you through
the hard parts. Your half way there already. Go for it !!!!!

More
15 Oct 2015 19:57 #694712 by floivanus

GPzMOD750 wrote: They don't learn their trade anymore. They are taught how to hook up the diagnostic machines then swap parts. At best they are taught how to read the FSM. If it isn't covered or corrected by those 2 sources they are at a loss. There is no practical diagnosis or trouble shooting involved.

It's been like that for cars for decades. Its catching up to other machines as well.

As a former car mechanic I have to argue against this. Diagnostic machines, without proper knowledge tell a person nothing. Those that rely on the scanner to diagnose the issues with a car arent worth their salt. At currently 28 uears old I am way outside of the time where carburetors were a thing yet I'm not and will never be a part swapper.

I owned thousands of dollars in technical manuals and went to dozens of seminars and learned a craft; I can fix anything and would work on anything. I got into bikes working at a car shop and repaired what the local kawasaki, honda and harley shop wouldn't touch. All with knowledge on car repair.

That being said, bike motors aren't really anything, start simple, check your tuneup procedure and start from there

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
16 Oct 2015 13:26 - 16 Oct 2015 13:28 #694787 by SaraGraz
Kapahulu,

Definitely stay in touch if you make it back to ANC this summer. I also live on the west side of town (near Rasp/Jewel Lake). There are a couple of local custom shops I may inquire about checking the valves, timing, the basic tuneup stuff. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!
Last edit: 16 Oct 2015 13:28 by SaraGraz. Reason: name

More
16 Oct 2015 14:03 #694791 by bandcgrizzly
Replied by bandcgrizzly on topic Any mechanics in AK looking for a winter rebuild?
Contact Squeaks O'Connor. He's forgotten more about Z motors than just about anyone alive and is a great guy to know.
He may have headed south to Arizona for the winter though by now. If you call the House of Harley in Anchorage and ask for Johnny he will be able to put you in touch with him. If no luck with that route and you are still looking to get your 650 worked on send me a message I'll pass it on to you.
Not sure he'll be willing to take on your project but there's no better Z mechanic in the state than Squeaks.

'76 KZ900LTD #1773
'75 Z1B #52525

More
17 Oct 2015 02:55 - 17 Oct 2015 02:57 #694852 by GPzMOD750

floivanus wrote:

GPzMOD750 wrote: They don't learn their trade anymore. They are taught how to hook up the diagnostic machines then swap parts. At best they are taught how to read the FSM. If it isn't covered or corrected by those 2 sources they are at a loss. There is no practical diagnosis or trouble shooting involved.

As a former car mechanic I have to argue against this. Diagnostic machines, without proper knowledge tell a person nothing. Those that rely on the scanner to diagnose the issues with a car arent worth their salt. At currently 28 uears old I am way outside of the time where carburetors were a thing yet I'm not and will never be a part swapper.

I owned thousands of dollars in technical manuals and went to dozens of seminars and learned a craft; I can fix anything and would work on anything. I got into bikes working at a car shop and repaired what the local kawasaki, honda and harley shop wouldn't touch. All with knowledge on car repair.

That being said, bike motors aren't really anything, start simple, check your tuneup procedure and start from there

Then you are an exception in my book and you should be proud of your skill.

My mother-in-law refused to take her car anywhere but the dealership and wasted thousands of dollars on problems that wouldn't go away. Half the time I diagnosed the problems and insisted they take the popper steps to correct Issues. My formal mechanical training consists of rebuilding a Briggs and Stratton in Jr high. I know that if she had taken her car to a reputable independent shop she would have saved a ton of money and would have had fewer problems.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2015 02:57 by GPzMOD750.