Any mechanics in AK looking for a winter rebuild?

More
13 Oct 2015 10:50 #694435 by SaraGraz
I have a 1978 KZ650. It used to run, then peetered out. I was refused by the Motorcylcle shop because of the age of the bike. I'm not a mechanic, but have had several things done to try to get it running consistently. The final answer from the folks that haven't been able to help is that it needs a new engine or to rebuild one (apparently no service or tuneups have been done on it?). I bought it 2008, it's been off the road since 2012.

I'm bummed and hate to make it scrap metal. Any reasonable help out there? Out here, that is, in ALASKA?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2015 11:33 #694447 by GPzMOD750
There's gotta be someone up there that can help you. It could be as simple as a valve adjustment and carb clean/balance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaraGraz

More
13 Oct 2015 11:44 #694449 by 650ed
It seems unlikely that it needs to be rebuilt. One member has a KZ650 that still runs with 160,000 miles on it. Mine only has about 60,000 miles and it still runs great.

Why not buy a manual and perform a full tune-up yourself? Your bike may just need points, plugs, carb cleaning, and/or some other fairly simple routine maintenance performed. The manual and normal maintenance stuff will cost less than having a mechanic touch it. KZ650 engines are extremely reliable, so you should be able to get it running well. I see it has the stock airbox, so that's a big plus toward an easy tune-up. Scrapping it should not even be an option. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Oct 2015 11:48 #694450 by DobbinsCMA
They are prob just lazy so they scared you by saying it needs a new engine. That is what the local shop told me and with the help of people on here I got mine rebuilt. Honestly if you can read and use the internet, people like 650ed can walk you through it. Sometimes it is a pain in the ass (really stiff air-box carb boots) but it is so rewarding. There is a wonderful book about a man that rebuilds his motorcycle as a form of meditation. Keep it.

'80 Kz1000B4
MTC 1075 .375 webcams Mikuni RS34
KZ440 Project
81'KZ750E2 Project
Past- '81 Kz750H :(

More
13 Oct 2015 11:54 #694452 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic Any mechanics in AK looking for a winter rebuild?
Same problem here in MT. No bike shop will touch my motorcycle. Its so bad they won't even adjust the chain tension :blink: . I seriously doubt that much work is needed on the engine though. These engines run forever when properly maintained. ( valves adjusted periodically and such). I would seriously consider picking up a couple tools and a manual, give it a shot yourself. With older bikes you unfortunately will find very little help from a shop. Although there is plenty to go around here! :woohoo:

- good luck

More
13 Oct 2015 11:56 #694453 by SaraGraz
I had the carbs re-done (got the kit on Z1 enterprises). You're probably right - lazy help or no time to help (or the help I was able to get did not specialize in engine issues). I am not a mechanic, but I do have the manual, of course. I've replaced the ignition coils, spark plugs, the basics. There was mention that maybe a new starter is needed.

Some have spoken about the timing being off (and syncing things, but again, I am an uninformed consumer). Simply put: I wouldn't know what to do to if given instructions.

That's why I'd be willing to pay someone locally that has experience with KZ's to assess it and give me an estimate to bring it back to life!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Oct 2015 12:07 - 13 Oct 2015 12:08 #694455 by SWest
I picked up a nice 550 shaft a few months ago. All the bike shops said it wasn't worth fixing. I drove 500 miles round trip and got it free. In two days it was running like a scalded cat. Nice little bike. If I didn't need the money I'd still have it now.

If you promise to buy a manual and follow directions, we'll walk you through it.
Like I always say, there's a certain satisfaction in knowing what's going on in between your legs. :woohoo:
Steve
Last edit: 13 Oct 2015 12:08 by SWest.

More
13 Oct 2015 16:22 #694477 by Kapahulu
Frickin ridiculous they won't work on your bike! It's simpler than the new bikes. My dad lives in Anchorage, fly me up there and I'll help you for a week. Just need to make sure you have the parts and tools for the job.

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Oct 2015 16:34 #694478 by SWest
If they work on your bike, it will be for a lot more. No sweet heart deals with the manufacturer for the customary 30% mark up, no warranty repairs and WORK. Tune ups and oil changes are quick money.
Steve

More
14 Oct 2015 12:20 #694561 by SaraGraz
Hey Kapahulu!

Thanks for the offer. The thing is this: without the issue(s) being properly diagnosed, I cannot be certain of what parts I need. And like I said, I am not a mechanic, so the availability of tools is possible, but would need to be pre-set up with folks I know in town. I tried to get a list of parts from Z1Enterprises to see what I needed for an engine re-build, but the response I got was vague because he didn't know what needed to be fixed.

I'd love to fly you up here...but the reality is (like all mechanical things) that 1 week is likely not long enough to diagnose the problem(s), get the parts and do the job...so, until I can get more clear answers, I don't know what to do. I'll be back in touch if flying you out seems like a feasible option. Thanks!!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Oct 2015 14:30 #694573 by SWest
Why don't you check the valve adjustments? A lot of the time that's all it is. PO's are too lazy or cheap to do them and sell the bike as soon as it starts acting up.
Steve

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
15 Oct 2015 02:28 #694626 by Tyrell Corp
Frickin ridiculous they won't work on your bike!

Amazing, if that were some new hyper sports bike loaded with electronics needing main dealer diagnostic tools and factory data then understandable, but if a 'mechanic' can't diagnose a simple 1970's air cooler inline four it make me wonder where they learnt their trade,

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces