Jesus H christmas!! Piston pins

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Aug 2015 13:41 #685653 by missionkz
Jesus H christmas!! Piston pins was created by missionkz
Has anyone had a near impossible experience getting these damn CW17 pin clips into a Wiseco 1075cc piston!??
It is insane.... :blink:
I simple cannot squeeze them in... the stock 1mm clips go right in and I can get them out with some difficulty.
The stock ones mic out at 1mm and these CW17 are 1.25mm... supposed to be for these pistons but... this is crazy.
I'm just clawing the hell out of the piston skirt trying to get them in,,, no, they simply will not go in.
:evil:

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2015 14:10 #685657 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Jesus H christmas!! Piston pins
Then use the stock ones. Did the circlips come with the pistons?
Steve

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Aug 2015 14:44 #685660 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Jesus H christmas!! Piston pins
No I misplaced them last year and bought the new Wiseco CW17's from Z1 a month or two ago.
The pin will float back and forth .25mm in the bore with the thinner clips.
I don't know if that is an issue or not.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Aug 2015 14:49 #685661 by missionkz
Really makes me mad. The only reason I pulled the head was because that darn leaking cam chain O ring, split two piece head gasket deal
I pulled a bit too hard and the cylinder block lifted off and over two of the Pistons.
So I though what the heck, I have a couple base gaskets so maybe I'll put the 1075 pistons and cylinders on for change.
Doh!!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

More
13 Aug 2015 15:49 #685671 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Jesus H christmas!! Piston pins
I use the Wiseco clips all the time and you won't get them in by hand unless you are lucky.
You need to get one side of the clip in the groove and pop the other side in using a small pick or flat blade screwdriver.
There is a knack to it though which takes a while to develop.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2015 15:49 #685672 by SWest
When you put them in, are they sloppy? I reused mine for the stock 1015's, no issues.
Steve

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Aug 2015 16:20 #685678 by missionkz
WOW!! I can not see how it is possible to install these CW17 clips in these pistons.... not matter... and I have installed dozens and dozens of pin and clips.

With the old clips from the 1015 pistons, used in the Wiseco 1075 piston and Wiseco pin, I can push the pin all the way into one clip, install the other clip and then there is a .010"-.012" space between the end of the pin and that newly installed clip.
The pin is free to move to and fro a bit...
in other words the Wiseco pin can walk back and forth in the Wiseco piston pin bore, smacking one or the other clips.
With the same two stock clips are installed in the stock ART piston with it's stock pin, the pin can only move a couple thousandths... that worries me with the new pistons as there is much more room for the pin to migrate.

Uh oh...
I talked to a local moto "speed" shop here in town who says my Wiseco 1075cc pistons might be old enough to use a smaller clip wire diameter or, the piston pin's bore is counter cut for Spiral Lox flat spring clips, called CS17 clips... I thought those were more for 2 stroke Wiseco pistons...?? Confused now... I'm telling you folks, getting old is a bitch.

Hmmmm I just looked deep in the Wiseco clip grove with a jeweler's 4x loop and it is flat in the bottom, not round like a normal clip would seat into... ? LOL
I'm feeling like putting my other set of 1015cc cylinder and pistons back on so I can ride this weekend.....

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2015 18:56 #685695 by SWest
I've used the Wiseco clips and the stock ones. When I lunched the one piston in 13, two of the clips were ruined. I used the stock ones in their place. The new 70mm piston came with CW17 clips.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2015 19:10 #685699 by SWest
I just installed one clip in my new piston. It wasn't easy. I got one end in, then worked around with a blade until it seated. The center was in a little so I used the wrist pin to move it out to seat. I have two old ones from my 70's cast pistons and they are the same. 0.049"/1.25mm.
Steve

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Aug 2015 19:28 - 13 Aug 2015 19:30 #685700 by missionkz
OK... I am wondering if the other guy is right and these pistons were and always have been made to use the Spiral Lox pin clips and not standard round wire ones?

Below is the two clips, top is stock and does kind of fit in the Wiseco piston but the pin is loose.
Bottom is the Wiseco CW17... which will not fit in the Wiseco piston.

Below is the Wiseco piston and note, there is no relief to insert a tool to pull the clip out... making me think it does need the flat spring, Spiral Lox pin clip

Below is the stock 1015 ART piston and we know it uses a standard clip and it does have a relief to insert a tool to pull the clip out...

I'll be really upset if I lunch a cylinder and piston by using the wrong clip!! X100

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2015 19:30 by missionkz.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2015 19:58 #685706 by SWest
That looks like a cast piston. My Wiseco piston has the cutout like the stock one. I measure 3.81mm at the bottom of the wrist pin to the outside of the piston. That is with the clip in and the wrist pin against it. I measure 4.13mm on the other side without the clip. Are you sure you have the right pins?
Steve

More
14 Aug 2015 04:45 #685736 by DobbinsCMA
Replied by DobbinsCMA on topic Jesus H christmas!! Piston pins
Do the teflon buttons. That way you don't have to deAl with clips again!

'80 Kz1000B4
MTC 1075 .375 webcams Mikuni RS34
KZ440 Project
81'KZ750E2 Project
Past- '81 Kz750H :(