Valve clearance/carbon deposit on plugs

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Apr 2015 17:49 #670184 by SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2015 18:37 - 30 Apr 2015 18:43 #670191 by chconger
Replied by chconger on topic Valve clearance/carbon deposit on plugs
Or play this tape when you work on the valves:

Good Tunes!
Chris

1977 KZ 1000-A
Last edit: 30 Apr 2015 18:43 by chconger. Reason: better joke

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
01 May 2015 05:24 #670238 by gcphoto
Replied by gcphoto on topic Valve clearance/carbon deposit on plugs
As I ponder this project..
FIrst, the bike only has 8,000 original miles on it. When I bought it I assumed it meant I'd not have to worry about these kinds of projects. Is it even possible that it could be this out of whack and end up with 0, or negative clearance? It did sit for many years before being revived.
Second, if I were to order a few shims to have for measuring purposes could you throw a couple numbers out to help me get started? Should I just order one of the thinnest shims or would that create too large a gap to measure with feeler gauges?

'78 KZ650 SR

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 May 2015 06:59 #670262 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Valve clearance/carbon deposit on plugs
Look, pulling a number out of the air won't help you. You have to get the shims in your hand to know what you have. Too many times people get these bikes with the same problem. A lazy or cheap PO will ignore the adjustments because of the time or cost. Just hope there aren't burnt valves because of this. Being the shims won't all be the same size, you can switch them to other positions. I'd go down two steps on all shims. That way you may have the proper sizes with what you already have. Chances are if not, you will need just a few. Once it's done, you can ride the piss out of it for up to 4000 miles.
Steve

More
01 May 2015 08:27 #670273 by kawi810
Replied by kawi810 on topic Valve clearance/carbon deposit on plugs
the way i do it, is i start with a thin shim like 2.05 check clearance with feeler gauges and calculate the size shim you need .the fact that you have 0 clearance or negative clearance means you might be a few shims sizes to tight .

original owner of a 1984 gpz 750
1985 turbo 750 stock, being restored.
1984 gpz 750 with 810 cc wiesco's megacycle cams(471-10) 34 mm flatslides v&h pipe ported head dyna ignition. bottom end, crank case from turbo 750 and sprockets.

More
01 May 2015 08:56 #670277 by gcphoto
I hear you Steve. Is a burnt valve apparent when I get in there? Interesting, so they don't come stock with all the same size shims? I would think they leave the factory with the same shims in each valve.

'78 KZ650 SR

More
01 May 2015 09:02 #670279 by chconger

gcphoto wrote: Second, if I were to order a few shims to have for measuring purposes could you throw a couple numbers out to help me get started? Should I just order one of the thinnest shims or would that create too large a gap to measure with feeler gauges?

I think you have two choices at this point:

Buy a complete shim kit. Then you know you will have the right shim on hand on the day you do this. You will also have shims for the life of the bike. More money though.

Or..

Buy the thinnest shim you can, use it to get your measurements, then order the shims you need. You wont have an issue with the feeler gauges not thick enough. You can stack them too. This option is cheaper, but 2x the ordering time.

1977 KZ 1000-A

More
01 May 2015 09:11 #670280 by gcphoto
Cool, thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

'78 KZ650 SR

More
01 May 2015 09:13 - 01 May 2015 13:36 #670281 by chconger

gcphoto wrote: so they don't come stock with all the same size shims? I would think they leave the factory with the same shims in each valve.

No, the shim is there to soak up the tolerances that get stacked together of the cast aluminum head, valve seats, and valves themselves. All these parts have a +/- specification when new. Taken together, they cannot meet the valve lash spec consistently.

The factory will put in shims in to make a spec that is impossible to meet otherwise due to these added tolerances of the various parts. Every valve [strike]will[/strike] can be different.

1977 KZ 1000-A
Last edit: 01 May 2015 13:36 by chconger. Reason: accuracy

More
01 May 2015 10:12 #670284 by gcphoto
This kit is only $52 on Amazon.. compared to every other kit which is $130-$160. Too good to be true? That's a good deal considering they are $4-$8 per shim on other sites. www.amazon.com/Hot-Cams-HCSHIM32-Shim-Ki...ords=13mm+valve+shim

'78 KZ650 SR

More
01 May 2015 10:21 #670285 by AlexDeyo
Replied by AlexDeyo on topic Re:Valve clearance/carbon deposit on plugs
How long would it take to burn the valves? Because I rode mine for awhile even though my valve clearances are way off.

First and current bike: 1979 Kawasaki KZ650B3